CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

got snagged tonite

CaddyChris

If you show up, you may be able to plea bargain to a lesser offense. Where I live, to the surprise of those who show up, there is no plea bargaining, however!

As far as the radar detector goes, the officer has to calibrate the machine for accuracy before every shift. Where I live, part of the testimony of the officer involves that in his testimony. If an officer is using a radar, he/she is very well aware of any calibration or entrapment issues and the testimony will show that. I'm sure you won't be able to come up with any argument the judge hasn't heard already.

The only to get out of a ticket is if the officer doesn't show up to court or the ticket was improperly filled out. The officer may make an amendment before testimon begins, however.

That's not true, at least not in general.

jadcock,

worked for me this past summer with one of my daughter's two

speeding tickets within 3 weeks of each other.

has worked for my in'law four times in the last two years, (according

to him).

my .02

worked for me this past summer with one of my daughter's two

speeding tickets within 3 weeks of each other.

has worked for my in'law four times in the last two years, (according

to him).

Jim, you found a place where it works! I'd email all the truthorfiction and snopes type sites to have the status of that changed from "urban legend" to "really works"!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

First of all: When you’re being charged with a crime you're allowed to defend yourself. What’s frivolous about that? "Nothing" "There is never anything frivolous about defending yourself".

I completely agree, but this is where I get tripped up in this particular situation. What would I be defending myself against, if I knew I was driving 85 in a 65 (for instance)? The only thing I see defending myself from here is undue process, which is certainly a valid thing to defend yourself from.

I think this is a misunderstanding of terms. Where I'm from, and what I'm used to hearing, having spent a few years as a member of a college car club, is "fighting a ticket" essentially means showing up at court and trying to get lucky (maybe the officer doesn't show, maybe the gun wasn't calibrated) and get out of the ticket. All of these are legal means, but irresponsible in my book.

But again, that's all moot, given the clarity of the situation given later. I think it's great that the officer is willing to discuss the ticket beforehand, and possibly reduce it in an amiable matter.

• 1 month later...

Well everyone,

Today was my hearing...drove for an hour to the courhouse...got there 15 minutes early...waited...waited...waited...the hearing was scheduled for 230pm, waited...245 came and I was wondering how long it would be and when I could leave. I said something and the secretary said the officer was on a call and on his way...that was great news let me tell ya.

Anyways, long story short, the officer was cool, I explained my situation...about to graduate college, already have 2 points, blah blah blah, please don't give me points, I don't care about the money, I'm getting my own insurance... etc. etc. etc. So the officer says, "well all I can do for ya is take it down to 5mph over and no points" hahahahahahaha. YES! My father never found out about it, and I'm down 100$. Big deal! So i beat the system...what it comes down to is money...thats all... I'll never pay a speeding ticket without at least speaking to the officer first. I would suggest everyone do the same.

Thats all I have to say.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

A little more thena 30 years ago...

I had numerous speeding tickets (always guilty to the max and lucky to not be in jail). I was on the way to the Trooper's office to discuss some sort of license restriction or suspension and I got picked up on the way - again for speeding.

Well, I told him about the latest ticket (probably #5 in a year or so) and he was so impressed that I told him - that he cancelled it and the previous one as well ! :)

Not that I exactly learned my lesson tho...

A year or two later when I was first married, the Trooper's office called and told me to surrender my license (maybe for the second time or so). I told them OK, I know the drill and I'll be there in the morning. We were almost on a first name basis by then - so they said nah, don't worry about the morning - the Trooper is already outside your house! I went down and handed it over and for some reason - he gave me a temporary license good for another 6-months! :rolleyes:

Around that time I usually kept a spare license (misplaced license replacement for $10) or two, just in case I got pulled over for a chit chat (before much call-in stuff).

Due to family responsibility - I went a bit over 30-years with no tickets (a number of chit chats tho) until I was flyin low ahead of a tunnel where some guy was putting up lights in the other lane. The Trooper had no sense of humor what so ever (but I felt I probably deserved it).

Anyway - I always admit guilt right off the bat. I also make it easy on the Trooper to begin with by; not having dark windows, wear seatbelts and let him see both of my hands. Those guys have it tough enough (dealing with low life for the most part).

I really believe it pays to be courteous so they can be professional and feel like they got your attention (instead of listening to phoney BS and whining).

Do I speed, sure. Do I feel guilty, no. Do I play my part - you bet !

All IMHO :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

So i beat the system...what it comes down to is money...thats all... I'll never pay a speeding ticket without at least speaking to the officer first. I would suggest everyone do the same.

I'm glad you got your ticket reduced! It always pays to at least check. I wouldn't necessarily say you "beat the system". On the contrary, the system was very courteous and negotiated with you, despite you already having points on your record.

One lesson learned is to always try to get your ticket reduced, sure. But in my humble opinion, the real lesson learned is to be aware of what your record already has, and not do anything stupid to jeopardize your priviledge to drive, because the system isn't ALWAYS that kind.

Hey guys thanks for the replys. I hear what you (Jason and TDK) are saying. I have definately found that if one is respectful and courteous and doesn't try to make up stories it is alot easier. For instance, the officer was a half hour late and I tried to keep my cool and it paid off in the end. Judges and officers really appreciate a little respect and alot of times it will pay off.

Have a good weekend everybody

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Hey guys thanks for the replys. I hear what you (Jason and TDK) are saying. I have definately found that if one is respectful and courteous and doesn't try to make up stories it is alot easier. For instance, the officer was a half hour late and I tried to keep my cool and it paid off in the end. Judges and officers really appreciate a little respect and alot of times it will pay off.

Chris

They should have dismissed your case - if you were 30 minutes late, they would have found you guilty 10 seconds after your scheduled hearing date......

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hey guys thanks for the replys.  I hear what you (Jason and TDK)  are saying.  I have definately found that if one is respectful and courteous and doesn't try to make up stories it is alot easier.  For instance, the officer was a half hour late and I tried to keep my cool and it paid off in the end.  Judges and officers really appreciate a little respect and alot of times it will pay off.

Chris

They should have dismissed your case - if you were 30 minutes late, they would have found you guilty 10 seconds after your scheduled hearing date......

Hey,

I hear that, that's what I was thinking...there is a 15 minute window for the defendent, why not for the officer (15 minutes in PA anyway). So after about 20 minutes I asked the secretary what was going and to the extent of " how long do i have to wait before it's dismissed" I didn't say that exactly but she got the idea. She told me that the officer called, was on a call himself and was on his way. Like I said earlier, I was trying to be respectful and not make a big deal out of anything so I just bit my lip. I got the points taken off and that was my main concern. It definately did suck waiting tho.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

It SUCKED. I was in unfamiliar territory driving on a road that cops can't sit on during the day...you can see too far ahead...well apparently at nite my eyes did not see the trooper sitting in the median. I knew I was screwed once i saw him. I caught his lights( brake lights , headlights) turn on in the rearview...took him awhile to catch me...i knew i was done so took it down to about 65 and he took his time to catch me and than pulled behind me...followed me for 30 s and put his other lights on ... the bad lights. I am gonna fight it...it just sucks. Be careful out there!

Chris

oh yes... $162.50

About a month ago I was on the Garden State Parkway heading north, homebound. There was a cop on the right side of the road on the grass. I was keeping up with traffic and I was in the middle lane (folks in the left lane were passing me!). Unfortunately, the cop decided I was the target (he looked staight at me, eye contact) but luckily for me, as he was starting up, pull off the grass and trying to get into the right lane of the highway, the exit ramp was right up ahead and the right lane was clear for me. I blew off the highway onto the exit ramp at about 65 (I was doing about 70'ish in a 55 zone). By the time the cop got off the grass and onto the highway, I was half way down the ramp and as I looked up at the highway I could see the expression on the cops face as he searched the road. (Where did she go???).... :lol: I don't think he saw my license plate. I got lucky that time.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I was keeping up with traffic and I was in the middle lane (folks in the left lane were passing me!). Unfortunately, the cop decided I was the target...

Now THAT is a ticket I'd argue everytime. Presumably our traffic laws are all about safety, right? Even if it means speeding, it's my humble opinion that keeping up with the flow of traffic is ALWAYS safer than being the only person out there driving 15 mph slower than what everyone else is trying to drive. Under normal conditions, I drive within 5 mph of the speed limit. But if traffic is really trying to move, especially on the Interstate, I'll keep up with it. I'd much rather drive 15 over than risk an accident as people try to weave in and out around me (or whomever else is driving much slower).

I was keeping up with traffic and I was in the middle lane (folks in the left lane were passing me!).  Unfortunately, the cop decided I was the target...

Now THAT is a ticket I'd argue everytime. Presumably our traffic laws are all about safety, right? Even if it means speeding, it's my humble opinion that keeping up with the flow of traffic is ALWAYS safer than being the only person out there driving 15 mph slower than what everyone else is trying to drive. Under normal conditions, I drive within 5 mph of the speed limit. But if traffic is really trying to move, especially on the Interstate, I'll keep up with it. I'd much rather drive 15 over than risk an accident as people try to weave in and out around me (or whomever else is driving much slower).

There was an article in the Bergen Record newspaper a few months back that basically stated that cops give out tickets for mostly the reason of generating income and that science should trump the law in the case of what speed limits to set on roads and highways. It was a very good article.

Most people have accidents within a mile or so of their homes and usually while going less than 25mph.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well,,,,,,,

As long as we are remembering how dumb we could be---

In about 1987, I was on the Indian Nation Parkway in Oklahoma. I had been To Tulsa on a job. I had made it all the way back to Dallas when the boss called. He wanted me back in Tulsa to follow a portable concrete plant back to Texas. (This was after about 24 hours straight of repairing that concrete plant on the side of Interstate 44 where it had broken it's gooseneck.) So I turned around & headed back to Tulsa. It was about 1:00 AM & there were no other cars in sight. So I opened the old pickup up & headed north. I was indicating 100+ when a pair of headlights pop over the hill going the other way. You guessed it! An Oklahoma State Trooper! He turned his lights on & started braking. By that time I had crested the same hill and he was out of his sight. I was tired & at that point just decided to pull over & take my lumps. I was sitting on the tail gate waiting when he came screaming over the hill. He pulled in behind me and asked me what the hurry was. I told him about the concrete plant on I-44 and that I was half way home when ordered back to Tulsa. I said I wanted to at least get a little rest before I started back following that concrete plant.

He looked at me and said that he had heard about the concrete plant, & was glad that we got it off the highway. He then showed me the back of the Oklahoma ticket. It had all the different fines for different speeds all spelled out. The one that I was eligible for was an immediate trip in front of a judge (At 1:00 AM) & a Bunch of money and an all expense paid stay at the local hoosegow. The trooper told me that the Judge would NOT be pleased if he was awakened at this time of the morning! He then proceeded to read each possible fine with it's associated penalties until he got down to the least. He said "I have to give you a ticket. Tell you what, I'll write you up for this, the fine is $8.00 and you can mail it in. You won't get any points and it won't be reported to your insurance."

MAN! If he hadn't been a guy, I could have kissed him!

He told me to keep it a little slower and be careful. He told me that he was figuring on a long high speed chase. He couldn't believe that I was parked waiting for him!

That was one ticket that I gladly took! ;)

Britt

Britt

. . . not do anything stupid to jeopardize your priviledge to drive . . .

Driving PRIVILEDGE?????? Man, what about the RIGHT????????

Why do peeps believe this control-freak government nonsense that limits every freedom we USED to have?

I got popped at 109 and was proud of it - finally a speeding ticket that made sense.

Driving PRIVILEDGE?????? Man, what about the RIGHT????????

You don't HAVE the RIGHT to drive. Never did, never will. Have a gander at our Constitution. The RIGHT you have is guaranteed free movement across the country. It doesn't say you have the RIGHT to do that in a Cadillac going 109 mph. If you don't like it, go to a country where law enforcement isn't quite as tight, like Iraq. <_>

If you don't like it, go to a country where law enforcement isn't quite as tight, like Iraq. <_<

Point is, we may end up being a country that more resembles Iraq if we let the "government" define our rights.

coolness,

jadcock is absolutely correct. Driving is a privilege that has to be earned, and laws and standards adhered to to keep the privilege. (Can't see good enough? Too many tickets? DUI? Bye Bye license.) That is why there are licenses. If you read the U.S. Constitution, US Bill of Rights, and your state's Constitution, you will find no mention anywhere of a "right" to drive. It has been this way since the early 1920's. (Probably earlier in some parts of the country.) Frankly, I am glad that it is this way (As far as drivers licenses go.) There are some people who have no business behind the wheel of any kind of vehicle.

As far as Iraq goes, the penalties for driving over there are more severe and immediate! My wife's cousin lost his life over there last October. So it is NO joking matter.

Be Glad that you live in a country where we can gripe about petty stuff like drivers licenses and rights. If you think here is bad, try North Korea!

Britt

Britt

Cpetro45: Glad to hear you got your ticket reduced.Hey next time you hear the call of the Northstar while driving, just rub your steering wheel and tell her, No I won't speed. Then promise her a W.O.T. hopefully she'll calm down and the need for excess speed will subside a little.

Thanks Britt, you're absolutely right.

As an aside, some folks from work have come back from a deployment in Iraq. We deal with environmental agencies all the time, and always have good days and bad days with them. Anyway, they said next time anyone ever questions the need for an EPA or other similar agency, tell them to go check out Iraq and look at the state of things over there. In reality, that can really be extended to ANY 3rd world country. People have no idea how much good some regulation can do for a society... This is obviously not necessarily an open debate about government or politics, but I had to point out the fact that we do enjoy many rights and privileges in this country...and it's important to keep the two concepts separate. You have a "right" to free speech just by being born here. But there's nothing you can do to acquire a "right" to operate a motor vehicle on public roads.

Cpetro45: Glad to hear you got your ticket reduced.Hey next time you hear the call of the Northstar while driving, just rub your steering wheel and tell her, No I won't speed. Then promise her a W.O.T. hopefully she'll calm down and the need for excess speed will subside a little.

Bahahaaa......oooo that made me laugh. That's pretty good advice though. And I thought I was the only one.:D

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

So i beat the system...what it comes down to is money...thats all... I'll never pay a speeding ticket without at least speaking to the officer first.  I would suggest everyone do the same.

I'm glad you got your ticket reduced! It always pays to at least check. I wouldn't necessarily say you "beat the system". On the contrary, the system was very courteous and negotiated with you, despite you already having points on your record.

One lesson learned is to always try to get your ticket reduced, sure. But in my humble opinion, the real lesson learned is to be aware of what your record already has, and not do anything stupid to jeopardize your priviledge to drive, because the system isn't ALWAYS that kind.

Come on Jason admit it. He did "beat the system". The law is pretty much cut and dry and spells out the penalties for each infraction. The officer made a decision of leniency therefore allowing Chris to "beat the system". Congratulations Chris...... now buy us a round of beers with the money you saved. :lol:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Get an Escort model. The Valentine is just barely better, yet sets off many more false signals. The Solo 2 works just as well as the corded model, but eats batteries especially when you select VG2 in the active mode. Unlike the old Solo 5, the Solo 2 gives little "I'm about to die completely" warning, and dies fast. Get the optional power cord, and keep it in the car as back up. Be wary of any detector with an oversized or angled lighter plug. You will have a bear of a time getting it to seat deep enough in the lighter socket in the console to work properly. That is why I got the Solo 2, and rechargeable batteries. Get only the best batteries, cheapos of any variety will cause the detector to operate inconsistently.

Use a "pace car" or "sponser". ;)

A nice bright and shiny foreign make is always best (Texas plates are ideal) :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

The officer made a decision of leniency therefore allowing Chris to "beat the system".

I guess at this point, we're just parsing words (and I guess I started it). To me, when someone "beats" something (like "the system"), he's doing it at the anger and/or frustration of the officials. Like getting off on a technicality or something, laughing as you leave the courtroom, throwing your ticket in the trash. I wouldn't consider it "beating" anything when he and the officer amiably negotiated together, which is refreshing for me to see, after being a member of a car club whose members would dry to dig anything up to get out of the responsibility they got themselves into. "Was the radar gun calibrated?" "How many donuts did he eat on that shift?" Blah-blah-blah. Chris showed up to court like a man, made no excuses, was courteous to the officer, and his ticket got reduced. Hooah!

Archived