CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

got snagged tonite

CaddyChris

It SUCKED. I was in unfamiliar territory driving on a road that cops can't sit on during the day...you can see too far ahead...well apparently at nite my eyes did not see the trooper sitting in the median. I knew I was screwed once i saw him. I caught his lights( brake lights , headlights) turn on in the rearview...took him awhile to catch me...i knew i was done so took it down to about 65 and he took his time to catch me and than pulled behind me...followed me for 30 s and put his other lights on ... the bad lights. I am gonna fight it...it just sucks. Be careful out there!

Chris

oh yes... $162.50

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Yeah, that's what I was gonna ask. I got cuaght doing 84 in a 55 in november. I've got a court date March 14th, but I'm not gonna fight it. I'm planning on trying to pay the $220 fine, and get the point reduced, even if it means a bigger fine. If it was a State Trooper, then that means he was using radar. If it was a local cop, then he was timing you and it will be very hard, if not impossible to fight.

The fact that he followed you for a full 30 seconds, leads me to believe that he was timing you, or using his speedo to properly guage your speed. The only sure way to get out of the ticket, would be if it was a local cop, using radar. Pennsylvania State Troopers own the right's to use radar, which means if it was a local cop using radar, then there's no ticket.

When I got pulled over, the batteries had died in my detector literlallly about 10 seconds before I passed the cop. Talk about bad luck. As soon as I saw him, I knew I was a caught, and immediately slowed down. He pull right out with his lights going , since he had used radar, and already knew I was speeding.

As I said before, if you were timed or followed, it's darn near impossible to fight. If it was a Local cop using radar, you've already won. Good Luck.

cpetro,

Too bad you were in unfamiliar territory. My detector went off when I was at about 100. I said what the hel!, if I stop I'll lose my license on the spot. So I hit the pedal and lost the cop instead.

Scared the b'jesus out of me and I don't want to try that again.

But I knew where I was, exited (thank God for Stabilitrak) and took backroads home.

cpetro45

"I caught his lights( brake lights , headlights) turn on in the rearview..."

Here in Ohio I belive there is a law/ statewide policy agianst police sitting "blacked out" on the road. I have yet to see a Ohio leo sitting blacked out, they always have there front yellows on. Indiana, on the other hand allows it, and you can't see there Troopers for shi!...

A.J.

I am gonna fight it...

Why? At what point during the situation did the police officer act out of line, or pull you over for something you didn't do?

A frivilous lawsuit is a frivilous lawsuit, no matter how big or small. It'll cost your local jurisdiction WAY more than $165 to sit there and listen to you trying to get out of your 85 mph ticket. Court room time, judge time, not to mention, that officer could be out there protecting the public instead of sitting in a court room defending why he pulled you over for a good 20-30 mph over the speed limit.

If I were you, I'd suck it up, pay my penalty, and start obeying the law from now on. Sorry, sore subject, law enforcement runs in our family.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I am gonna fight it...

Jadcock, Bob, Danbuc,

Well, the trooper didn't give me a chance to talk to him... he took my info went back to his car and came back with the citation. Usually, if I know I am done I will try to ask them to write it up as something lower. I have gotten an 85 in a 65 written up at 71 in a 65 before.

So the officer comes back with the ticket and I asked him that if I fought it if there was anyway that he was gonna at least reduce it for me. He said it wasnt out of the question and to talk to him before in the conference room. That is what I am gonna do. I have had success doing this. It really sucks because the courthouse is about an hour away or so. Oh well. I need to get a radar detector.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

cpetro,

Too bad you were in unfamiliar territory. My detector went off when I was at about 100. I said what the hel!, if I stop I'll lose my license on the spot. So I hit the pedal and lost the cop instead.

Scared the b'jesus out of me and I don't want to try that again.

But I knew where I was, exited (thank God for Stabilitrak) and took backroads home.

Hahaha,

The thought definately crossed my mind, I was approaching the end of this 10 mile stretch and I could have definately smoked him.

Unfortunately I don't have stones quite that large and I am about to graduate from college, still under my dad's insurance, other cars around, getting arrested....etc.

But the thought crossed my mind for about a second and that was it. If i knew where I was and an escape...idk.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Yeah, that's what I was gonna ask. I got cuaght doing 84 in a 55 in november. I've got a court date March 14th, but I'm not gonna fight it. I'm planning on trying to pay the $220 fine, and get the point reduced, even if it means a bigger fine. If it was a State Trooper, then that means he was using radar. If it was a local cop, then he was timing you and it will be very hard, if not impossible to fight.

The fact that he followed you for a full 30 seconds, leads me to believe that he was timing you, or using his speedo to properly guage your speed. The only sure way to get out of the ticket, would be if it was a local cop, using radar. Pennsylvania State Troopers own the right's to use radar, which means if it was a local cop using radar, then there's no ticket.

When I got pulled over, the batteries had died in my detector literlallly about 10 seconds before I passed the cop. Talk about bad luck. As soon as I saw him, I knew I was a caught, and immediately slowed down. He pull right out with his lights going , since he had used radar, and already knew I was speeding.

As I said before, if you were timed or followed, it's darn near impossible to fight. If it was a Local cop using radar, you've already won. Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply,

It was definately a trooper with radar, that's how I knew I was done. Alot of times I always try to talk my way out of something but this wasnt the case this time. Like I said, he said he would probably at least reduce it for me.

Also, He wrote it up as 85.6 so I don't know if this makes it over 20mph or 20 or less. I think the points/penalites are different.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Oh, I thought you were just going to fight it, to get it dropped completely. I have no doubt, that you'll be able to get it reduced, and that is also what I've done in the past. Good Luck, I hope you get it lowered to something good. ;)

Haha, I guess you posted that right when I was posting. Thanks, yeah it was great one time, i had a similiar situation and the trooper reduced it to less than 5 over, no points! That was great... I don't know if this time I will be so lucky.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

cpetro45
"I caught his lights( brake lights , headlights) turn on in the rearview..."

Here in Ohio I belive there is a law/ statewide policy agianst police sitting "blacked out" on the road. I have yet to see a Ohio leo sitting blacked out, they always have there front yellows on. Indiana, on the other hand allows it, and you can't see there Troopers for shi!...

Well, that sounds nice,

I guess that is not the case here in PA. He was definately sitting "blacked out" on the far side of the median near traffic heading the other way. I'll have to check into that. That is definately a nice warning....bright yellow lights in the middle of darkness. haha.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

$162 is a nice downpayment on a Valentine 1........

Good luck fighting it. At least if you take it to court you may get it reduced or , if you are lucky, the cop will not show...

Haha, Thanks, yeah it was a great present. Good thing I didnt spend that much on any females last week.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I am gonna fight it...

If I were you, I'd suck it up, pay my penalty, and start obeying the law from now on. Sorry, sore subject, law enforcement runs in our family.

I understand this...but if only you saw the road I was on, a complete straightaway in the middle of nowhere...and the northstar...the northstar...goodness it just wants to go all the time. It is soooo hard for me to go the speed limit. If i am worried about law enforcement I keep it around 6 or 7 over. But 55 mph speed limits are tough to swallow on highways.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Jason,

How does showing up in "traffic" court amount to "A frivilous lawsuit"?

... It'll cost your local jurisdiction WAY more than $165 to sit there and listen to you trying to get out of your 85 mph ticket ...

That's hard to imagine. I've been to traffic court and 165.00 for about 10 minutes of time before the judge equates to about $990.00 per hour. If there is a jurisdiction that can't get by on that then the local tax payers need to complain, and the court need to reduce their overhead.

Jim

I am gonna fight it...

I understand this...but if only you saw the road I was on, a complete straightaway in the middle of nowhere...and the northstar...the northstar...goodness it just wants to go all the time. It is soooo hard for me to go the speed limit. If i am worried about law enforcement I keep it around 6 or 7 over. But 55 mph speed limits are tough to swallow on highways.

Chris

If this country were really that obsessed with people driving under 80mph then it would only make sense to build/sell cars that couldn't go beyond that speed. I don't see that happening and by all sales figures and reports I'd say that isn't a priority either.

I think it's only natural to want to fight the ticket. It would be one thing to be issued a ticket for excessive speeding in dense traffic but you indicated that it was an open stretch of road. Only harm I see is possibly to yourself. I myself would definitely fight the ticket. Not because it's the right thing to do but because our laws allow you to. It's designed to make money. Let's face it. Out of the countless tickets that are issued only a small percentage of people actually fight theirs. My cousin is a cop in Pa. and he'll verify that.

Considering that the only person that you were endangering was yourself....go for it. With all the domestic violence, rape, burglaries, murders, etc. I definitely feel better knowing that this trooper was out there to stop a speeding caddy. I'll bet he got a hot tip that there was going to be a Cadillac rally late that night by a bunch a ruffians. Because everyone knows that those kinds of people buy Cadillacs. Thank god for that trooper.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

During that 30 second lag, he was calling in your tag. Also, he was giving you a chance to run because they love the chase.

I mentioned my 72 in a 55 at the other ticket post. Fickel world: Just a little while ago in heavy I 95 traffic, the traffic was moving @ 85--in a 65 zone. I was in the left lane holding about 85 to 87, and a marked State Police car was on my *smurf*.

I eased it up to 91 so that I could pass the car that was quarterpaneling me, moved over, and the cop passed.

Isn't it a fickel world? I picked up a ticket for 72 in a 55, but I wind it up to 91 in a 65 so that a cop could get by.

The difference is that the one who gave me a ticket, Maryland Transportation Authority, was generating income for this little hick town. The state cop wasn't really concerned with generating income, and the state cops seem to focus more on nabbing dangerous drivers than generating income for the local rednecks.

Ya its a rule here that you are aloud to go 10 over what the limit posted says!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Showing up to fight a charge you know is accurate is always frivilous in my opinion.

Now, he did say that the officer said he'd discuss the ticket with him in the waiting room before the court time. Going to talk about the ticket further with the officer is another story altogether. But knowing you got caught doing 20 miles (or whatever it was) over the speed limit, and then going to court to "fight it" (which I assume to mean, try to get out of it) is irresponsible and unnecessary. Pay your dues and move on with it.

I understand the road was dark and the Northstar likes to run. You don't have to tell that to me, I own one. But hey, that's the risk you take if you blatantly disobey the law. I got caught for doing 65 in a 45 one time in my Cutlass. It was a rural road and I've never seen a cop there. I had just put new shocks on the car and me and a buddy were out for a ride. At the exit of a hairpin turn, I nailed it, got the car sideways, and flew off. I let off when I hit 70, and was coasting back to near the speed limit when I crested a rise and there was a cop. I knew he got me...no reason to fight it. ~Could~ I have tried to fight it? Sure. ~Could~ his radar detector have gone longer without a calibration than it should have? Sure. Was I speeding, and breaking the law? Yes. Case closed in my mind.

Had I asked the cop would he work with me on that ticket, and he said, show up to court and we'll talk before the court session...would I have gone? Absolutely. There's nothing I like to see more than law enforcement and citizens working together amiably, no matter how large or small the matter.

I'm not going to argue with you on the actual numerical cost of the case. Maybe it's not exactly $165. The point is, you're taking up the time of a fair number of public officials (including the officer) to try to weenie out of a ticket. Again, going to court to work with the officer wasn't explained up front, and I agree that it's a totally different picture than what was painted up front.

Good luck with the officer. It's great to see law enforcement working positively with local citizens.

OVERPAY the ticket!

Don't cash the refund check.

it will keep the points off your license...

That's not true, at least not in general.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/tickets.htm

Showing up to fight a charge you know is accurate is always frivilous in my opinion.

Now, he did say that the officer said he'd discuss the ticket with him in the waiting room before the court time. Going to talk about the ticket further with the officer is another story altogether. But knowing you got caught doing 20 miles (or whatever it was) over the speed limit, and then going to court to "fight it" (which I assume to mean, try to get out of it) is irresponsible and unnecessary. Pay your dues and move on with it.

I understand the road was dark and the Northstar likes to run. You don't have to tell that to me, I own one. But hey, that's the risk you take if you blatantly disobey the law. I got caught for doing 65 in a 45 one time in my Cutlass. It was a rural road and I've never seen a cop there. I had just put new shocks on the car and me and a buddy were out for a ride. At the exit of a hairpin turn, I nailed it, got the car sideways, and flew off. I let off when I hit 70, and was coasting back to near the speed limit when I crested a rise and there was a cop. I knew he got me...no reason to fight it. ~Could~ I have tried to fight it? Sure. ~Could~ his radar detector have gone longer without a calibration than it should have? Sure. Was I speeding, and breaking the law? Yes. Case closed in my mind.

Had I asked the cop would he work with me on that ticket, and he said, show up to court and we'll talk before the court session...would I have gone? Absolutely. There's nothing I like to see more than law enforcement and citizens working together amiably, no matter how large or small the matter.

I'm not going to argue with you on the actual numerical cost of the case. Maybe it's not exactly $165. The point is, you're taking up the time of a fair number of public officials (including the officer) to try to weenie out of a ticket. Again, going to court to work with the officer wasn't explained up front, and I agree that it's a totally different picture than what was painted up front.

Good luck with the officer. It's great to see law enforcement working positively with local citizens.

Jason,

Thanks for the reply,

Around here, "fighting a ticket" means going to court and trying to get it reduced, well at least that's how I grew up. Sorry that there was confusion. I would never go to court and say "no i wasnt going that fast, your radar gun is 15 mph off." I don't think this would fly very well.

When I wrote the original post I was horribly tired and TOed about the whole day so I didnt really think about it too much.

I do see your point of view and understand where you are coming from. No matter what I always try to discuss the violation with law enforcement even if I was blantantly disobeying the law...which I was.

If the violation was something more managable, as far as points, I'm not worried about the money, than I would probably just pay it, considering I have to drive an hour to the courthouse anyway. 20+ over is not taken lightly...I think it is 4 points, something I can't afford to have right now.

Hopefully the officer will be cool and we can talk about it. As far as all the costs are concerned related to the court and people's time...etc etc. I was never too worried about that.

Thanks I'll let everyone know how I made out.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

The one thing I note is that the officer said you were going 85.6 mph based on a radar or laser reading. In fact, neither is 100% accurate. So, you should be able to at least get the ticket reduced by one or two mph based on the +-1 industry inaccuracy ratings. Unless the officer can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that 85.6 is 100% accurate, the ticket should be reduced.

I wouldn't call this one frivolous because it is a valid argument.

Jason,

I guess I have different takes on certain things from a personal perspective as opposed to a public outlook.

From the "personal perspective" side of me, I agree with you and I would just pay the ticket, besides the other cost involved that hasn't been mentioned is the time off from work to go to court to fight the ticket. I haven't had an infraction since 1979 (ohhhhh, I've dodged a few radars and have certainly done some things I wish I hadn't of) so one ticket isn't going to hurt me and if I was doing it I'll stand up and be recognized. I mean a driver knows (or should know) when they’re doing 15 MPH or more over the posted speed. My feeling is: if you choose to continually abuse the speed limit/traffic flow, you have to be willing to pay the price when you’re caught. Anyone looking for sympathy from me who is a chronic abuser of the speed limits will (promptly) be referred to Webster’s Dictionary and suggested that they look between $hit & syphilis because that’s the only "sympathy" their going to find. ;)

Having said all of that …

From the "public" perspective side of me, I would say to anyone; if you feel you've got a case, go and fight it. After all, in the courthouse, it's not what's right or wrong ... it's what you can prove. Even if the person is guilty the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) still has to catch you in the correct manner or said another way, he can’t entrap you. That's just the way it is.

Frivolous lawsuit.

First of all: When you’re being charged with a crime you're allowed to defend yourself. What’s frivolous about that? "Nothing" "There is never anything frivolous about defending yourself". IMHO, a frivolous lawsuit would be suing the radar detector company because it failed to adequately warn you of a speed trap ahead while your driving 15-20 MPH over the posted speed limit and ahhh ... breaking the law.

Second of all: These speed traps are a revenue generator (again, my opinion), or they wouldn’t be doing them. It's a "win-win" deal for the jurisdiction that receives the money. The LEO's are already on shift (meaning their on the clock (and can easily break away to a higher priority call/emergency)) and traffic court is already prescheduled (again already on the clock), so it's not like there's some unscheduled OT (overtime) involved to hold court. If the court date is on the officers off date then he/she can reschedule the court date, besides they're the one who specifies the court date.

Third of all: The dollar figure I quoted was from my only court infraction and I didn’t get ten minutes before the court and the $165.00 you quoted. I have no idea if $165.00 is the going rate or not.

Fourth of all: If the officer is willing to meet before court to reduce the charge, then (again IMHO) the cost to the jurisdiction (to hold court) becomes a moot point.

In as far as speeding, I follow the 10% rule up to 70-75 MPH. I just won't (consistently) drive over 80 MPH (well, maybe I'd make an exception across Texas on I-10 (I did that long ago when it was 55 MPH, GAWD … thought I would never get out of Texas :o)). Things happen awfully fast at that speed. But, if I were to drive in a state where the speed limit is 55 MPH & not 56MPH, then I'll drive 55 MPH.

I feel the biggest epidemic on the streets today isn't speeding (not that speeding isn’t an issue). Instead it is running red lights, particularly those making a left hand turns. It's horrible in the Phoenix Arizona area. I don't know what the answer is. Cameras? Who knows!

Jim ;)

Archived