CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS-V on cover of Road and Track

Guest bbobynski

OH YEA!!!!!!

Now there’s the new Cadillac STS-V, with a monster 440-horsepower engine tucked into a very capable chassis surrounded by sophisticated styling, technology and an attractive and sumptuous cabin!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=1766

I am hoping this is a version of the NS engine and not the Vette engine

post-3-1104638336.jpg

It's a new blown 4.4L version of the Northstar putting out a 'conservative' 440 Hp ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

It's a new blown 4.4L version of the Northstar putting out a 'conservative' 440 Hp ;)

YEA! I am SO happy about that! You know, while I am sure there are a lot of VETTE engine lovers here, to me, it belongs in the Vette. It does the Vette a dis-service while at the same time it takes away from the Cadillac's legacy. Cadillac engines have an incredible balance of tuxedo and brute force guts to them. I recently recall a review of the CTS-V that said the engine was loud, and I am not sure if I want a hot rod characteristic to a Cadillac. I think what it is is the power band and torque of the engine and how the power is applied, its a balance. In a sports car like the Vette, to me the power range can be such that the car is harsh. Does anyone understand what I am saying or am I tired this time of night? :blink:

I am hoping that Cadillac is the first to produce a Northstar system with this incredibly matured NS VVT engine and an 'infinite ratio' transmission that has an uninterruptible power band. I have read about some manufracture either experimenting with or developing an infinate ratio tranny, does anyone know who that is? What I mean by that is there are no shifts, the tranny is able to (how do I say this) be in an infinate number of gear ratios depending upon throttle position, demands, engine rpm, wheel slip, torque required etc. Would a car with that system be driveable on the street or TOO radical. I think the answer to that question is that possibly the car would be incredible to drive as it would respond to your every command.

YEA! I am SO happy about that! You know, while I am sure there are a lot of VETTE engine lovers here, to me, it belongs in the Vette. It does the Vette a dis-service while at the same time it takes away from the Cadillac's legacy. Cadillac engines have an incredible balance of tuxedo and brute force guts to them. I recently recall a review of the CTS-V that said the engine was loud, and I am not sure if I want a hot rod characteristic to a Cadillac. I think what it is is the power band and torque of the engine and how the power is applied, its a balance. In a sports car like the Vette, to me the power range can be such that the car is harsh. Does anyone understand what I am saying or am I tired this time of night? :blink:

>"Cadillac engines have an incredible balance of tuxedo and brute force guts to them."<

Mr. Scott, that says it perfectly. I've always been a believer in the "Go fast with class" philosophy.

The N* does exactly that. It's very rewarding for us 'loyalists' to see all the effort that was put into the project resulting in a supercharged Northstar version of the STS.

Time to finish packing...Shipping out to the Big Island for a couple weeks.. ;)

Later!

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

>"Cadillac engines have an incredible balance of tuxedo and brute force guts to them."<

Mr. Scott, that says it perfectly. I've always been a believer in the "Go fast with class" philosophy.

The N* does exactly that. It's very rewarding for us 'loyalists' to see all the effort that was put into the project resulting in a supercharged Northstar version of the STS.

Time to finish packing...Shipping out to the Big Island for a couple weeks.. ;)

Later!

Bob, RELAX AND ENJOY! Mike

Well bbbob, lets talk about it! You obviously know more about it than we do, so lets hear it! I have no use for the rag called Road and Track as they are biased, very inconsistent, and the rag is made up largely of writers who haven't a clue a about mechanicals, engineering, or driving skills. So lets hear it from the "horses mouth", PLEASE!

As far as a Vette engine in a Caddy, what better marriage than those two products? Lets just begin with the XLR/C6 relationship. That alone helped make the C6 a better car, and helped Caddy produce a MB fighter right out of the box! Do I need to remind the forum the cost of the last NS equipped Allante versus the first XLR?

I am serious Guru, help your fellow brethren out here. I only fix them and drive them. You can offer us much more than I could only dream of.

Well bbbob, lets talk about it! You obviously know more about it than we do, so lets hear it! I have no use for the rag called Road and Track as they are biased, very inconsistent, and the rag is made up largely of writers who haven't a clue a about mechanicals, engineering, or driving skills. So lets hear it from the "horses mouth", PLEASE!

As far as a Vette engine in a Caddy, what better marriage than those two products? Lets just begin with the XLR/C6 relationship. That alone helped make the C6 a better car, and helped Caddy produce a MB fighter right out of the box! Do I need to remind the forum the cost of the last NS equipped Allante versus the first XLR?

I am serious Guru, help your fellow brethren out here. I only fix them and drive them. You can offer us much more than I could only dream of.

Tell me if I am wrong but is your statement about cost of the last NS equipped Allante versus the first XLR inferring that to make big strides and I suppose to compete while at the same time to keep cost down, you need to comingle products?, and you are saying that is good?

First off if I was a Corvette owner I would be PO'd that my engine and suspension are now in a Cadillac. How many sales do you think XLR will lose to the Corvette because of the difference in price?

There are so many problems with cross-polinating to me with the only benefit being the cost savings in development/production for GM.

As far as the Corvette engine goes its terrific, but it belongs in a sports car (to me) (I am not being combatitive here), but the NS platform has and continues to mature into a monster!, why get off that track? Think about a supercharged NS with 440HP! You are correct the AMG is coming into view.

Excellent summary on the STS-V Bbobynski; very informative. Now I want one of those, except for the cost.

Does the STS-V have a special PCM coding specifically for launch control? I saw that mentioned in a Ferrari article; seems very useful.

The engine power band combined with the torque converter/auto trans and launch traction control put the sub-5 second 0-60 times in the hands of every driver every time... no special clutch slip or launch procedure required for best times. Just stab the accelerator...but be sure you are pointed in the correct direction first.

No wheel hop issues I hope.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

bbobynski Posted on Jan 2 2005, 08:43 AM

No "cold air intake" from the aftermarket required....LOL.

Sorry ... "bboybnski", I really did some LOL when I read that part. You also failed to mention you don't need a "Butt Duno" either for this ride , LOL, LOL, LOL.

Really though, nice article and thanks for the input!

Jim

Wow, a 440 hp S/C Northstar engine. Now we're talkin'! I wonder if that engine is Timeserted from the factory?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Is there any photos of the 4.4L. I wanna like to see it!!!!!!!!!

I would also like to see it.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Autoweek starting its show coverage here:

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/200...tsv/pages/1.htm

That new hood looks much better than the stock STS, which is just too flat.

Bruce

Another somewhat obvious comparison that somehow escaped me:

Mustang Cobra 4.6L DOHC V-8 Supercharged: 390 hp at 6000 rpm 390 lb-ft at 3500 rpm

STS-V Northstar SC 4.4L DOHC VVT V-8 Supercharged: 440 hp at 6400 rpm 430 lb-ft at 3600 rpm

Bruce

Isn't this suppose to be AWD? If so no one is saying anything about it? My trk is about 300 hp and it pulls hard. 440 hp I can only imagine the neck braces that will be needed. ;)

Isn't this suppose to be AWD?  If so no one is saying anything about it?  My trk is about 300 hp and it pulls hard.  440 hp I can only imagine the neck braces that will be needed. ;)

No, the STS-V is rear wheel drive only.

Thats would be some nice to have that thing in AWD they should make a few just for the sake of things. That would give you alot of traction and it would pull alot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived