CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air intake kit

yenko

I have seen air intake kits for sale on eBay. What increase would I expect in the hp department, if any. Would this be a good investment or do you think it is a waste of time and money. If anyone owns one or has any information on this product, I would like to know your thoughts.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

While we are on this subject, when I changed my air filter I noticed that the intake sucks air over what appears to be a CPU with a heat sink type of heat dissapator on it to cool it. If you were to re-route the air intake, what impact would this have on the cooling of this device since the air is no longer forced around it? I am not sure this device is that is being cooled by the intake plumbing... Anyone?

Scotty,

I believe the element with heat dissipation fins ( that you described correctly) is probably the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. I have not seen a Caddy MAF to say for sure, but if I were guessing - that's it.

Many mass sensors work by heating an element and measuring the mass of gases (in this case air) by how much it is cooled compared to a referance element. It is a lot more accurate than a volume type sensor that would need additional data to measure airflow accurately.

I believe that Caddy used the MAF a couple years or so after another type of early air flow sensor.

If the MAF is bypassed or disrupted, then the computer would loose important data that it might have to guess at from O2 sensors or whatever (if even possible). It could serve as a "feed-forward" signal to let the injectors know what's coming down the pipe (hence more accuracy at relatively high and changing velocities).

There was a definitive post a couple months ago or so that rated the stock intake as the best performing in ALL conditions (with the possible exception of producing the much-desired roar of power - at the very least). :lol:

Exhaust is more restictive by comparison and there are a few hp there if more noise is acceptable. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

On the 96+ cars (or maybe it's 95+ cars), the PCM IS directly under the airbox, and the air does have a cooling effect across the PCM. Bbobynski has stated this before. He said that in most cases, it should be fine, but if you have re-routed your intake air, beware of heavy traffic on hot days -- you don't want to overheat your PCM. In my opinion, it ain't worth it. Click here for a write-up I did when I put an open-element filter on mine. I took it back off and put a real filter back in 2 weeks later:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/filter.htm

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

On the 96+ cars (or maybe it's 95+ cars), the PCM IS directly under the airbox, and the air does have a cooling effect across the PCM. Bbobynski has stated this before. He said that in most cases, it should be fine, but if you have re-routed your intake air, beware of heavy traffic on hot days -- you don't want to overheat your PCM. In my opinion, it ain't worth it. Click here for a write-up I did when I put an open-element filter on mine. I took it back off and put a real filter back in 2 weeks later:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/filter.htm

Thats exactly where it is, so its the PCM

Ya, if you look at this picture...

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/images/intake3.jpg

...the dull metal box you can see through the lower airbox hole, with the cooling fins, is the PCM housing.

It would only overheat the pcm in EXTREME situations as I had also discussed this with Guru. These cars were designed and tested for all conditions including driving in 100+ degrees which would include sitting in freeway traffic in CA on a 110 day. Just as there is a possibility of water intrusion going thru deep standing water. If you are aware of these potential problems and take every precaution to avoid them then the modifications are OK.

However, if you don't open up the exhaust to let the engine breathe better, the results could be as Jason stated. I have a Corsa exhaust on mine so addig a cone filter ducted out for fresh air and a heat shield, I did see an improvement, but by itself don't expect much.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

So theres not really any improvment? If I were to get one would I notice increase in acceleration and qtr. mile times???????

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

So theres not really any improvment? If I were to get one would I notice increase in acceleration and qtr. mile times???????

By itself, no, you would probably not see an increase in measured acceleration. Your brain will perceive increased performance from the extra noise, but if you actually measured it, no. In fact, unless you really duct it to outside air, you may realize a REDUCTION in performance, as documented by Bruce on his '96 STS.

Funny you say that about the extra noise, when I was a kid, I used to take off the air cleaner on my Dad's Caddy's and drive that way. Yes i knew that, I was taking in dirt, and I could set fire to the car resulting from a backfird, but it sounded cool when those huge secondaries used to snap open on the 426 cu in with the Carter AFB and the 472 cu in with the Rochester Quadrajets! To this day, I still debate in my mind which sounded better when you nailed it those engines screamed, thats what I like about the Northstar, it's got a definate connection to those days.

I just added a K & N filter to my airbox, and then put a 3" hole in the bottom of the airbox lid and another in the lower box that holds the PCM. It worked really well. Next step is to add a 3" piece of PVC that feeds cold air up from below to a 2nd hole I am going to drill into the side of the airbox. Kinda poor mans Ram-Air! But not until I get the exhaust finished on it..

When I first started driving my buddies and I would do something simular to what Scotty is talking about, change the sound of the air going into the carb with the secondaries wide open. We would simply flip the top of the air cleaner, this would leave a gap all the way around the edge of the air cleaner between the top and bottom. Boy did it sound great, the air cleaner would resonate the this terrific screaming sound. Didn't really do anything for performance and most of the time we would go though a half a tank of gas running around town, but at that time who cared.

sebring06RTP.jpg

When I first started driving my buddies and I would do something simular to what Scotty is talking about, change the sound of the air going into the carb with the secondaries wide open. We would simply flip the top of the air cleaner, this would leave a gap all the way around the edge of the air cleaner between the top and bottom. Boy did it sound great, the air cleaner would resonate the this terrific screaming sound. Didn't really do anything for performance and most of the time we would go though a half a tank of gas running around town, but at that time who cared.

Good tip! :D I just hit 1600 posts I have to get a life or drive a FORD! :lol::lol:

Yeah, I used to do that on all my cars. You had to be prepared for occasional carb icing as you were bypassing the preheater but boy did it scream. A few times I swear I could see the hood flex on that big 501 Eldo. :lol: Seemed like it was going to suck the hood right into the carb. At the time I was convinced it was breathing better than through that tiny little snorkle. Who knows.

I have a question these fast chips what exactly do they do? Will I notice a difference in my 0-60 time and Qtr. mile time???? I'm looking to buy one but don't want to waste my money on something that won't do anything for me.

Please get back as soon as possible i'm trying to work out a deal and I need to know what if it's worth the money..............

user posted image

Are you buying one from fastchip.com?

No im buying one from someone who emailed me and he said he's checking into shipping he may be selling it to me for 90 canadian shipped he said he'd get back to me.......

user posted image

Yeah, I used to do that on all my cars. You had to be prepared for occasional carb icing as you were bypassing the preheater but boy did it scream. A few times I swear I could see the hood flex on that big 501 Eldo. :lol: Seemed like it was going to suck the hood right into the carb. At the time I was convinced it was breathing better than through that tiny little snorkle. Who knows.

Funny, I am embarrised to admit that I set fire to the hood insulation once, but it sounded great...

Archived