CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission pan bolts

skyman

not much. use a 1/4 ratchet and just go a little more than snug. I alternate when I am removing and installing the pan so that it comes off and on evenly.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I checked two of my service manuals: my 2000 Intrigue said 10 ft. lbs. and my '04 Olds Bravada said 97 in. lbs (approx. 8 ft. lbs). I'm thinking 8 to 10 will do you in good stead. I would snug them up in stages (with the final torque after two of three tightening).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

The shop manual for the 2005 Deville specifically states the pan gasket is not reusable. Use only the OEM style pan gasket with the steel sleeves in the bolt holes or you will distort the pan. Do NOT use those cheap parts store cork gaskets. Go to a GM dealer and buy the trans. service kit - it is cheaper to buy the kit which includes new scavenger screens and o-rings vs. just buying the pan gasket.

There is a torque sequence - with the pan on the bench, I number the bolt holes with a marker so it is easier to see the sequence while on a creeper.

Initial pass: 27 inch-pounds

Intermediate pass: 53 inch-pounds

Final pass: 106 inch-pounds

post-45-0-59992700-1421412464_thumb.jpg

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The plug is still there to drain the side cover. When I changed the fluid in my '05 Deville last fall, I was going to pump it out via the cooler lines but unlike the earlier 93-99 model years, mine had quick disconnect fittings on the lines and the shop manual was very specific about replading the clips if the connection was disturbed. Since I did the job on a Saturday, I could not buy the parts so I just dropped the pan.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks guys

I bought the oem ac/delco kit. Came with the two filters and the oem gasket with the steel sleeves. Just before I left for the garage, I found the schematic that Steve put on for the torque sequence on the internet and printed it out. and used that. Just drained what fluid came out when we took off the pan. The old filter looked good and the bottom of the pan was very clean with just a VERY slight amount of sludge on the magnet...I mean like almost nothing. What I did find odd, was that after we finished the job I found two more of those orings..more like sleeves that slide onto the filters. I know we put a sleeve on each of the filters before we put them on, so just hoping the kit supplied us with two extras. With the amount that came out by just dropping the pan, it took about 31/2 quarts to bring it up to just a shade over the cold line.

You didn't drain the side cover? There is a small pipe plug near the wire harness that will drain the side cover. That is where most of the fluid is.

For some reason, the AC Delco kit includes 5 or 6 of the large o-rings that retain the scavenger screens - why, I have no idea.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin

Didn't know about the side plug...well next time I change the fluid and filter I'll check that out. I went down to the place where I bought the filter and gasket kit and they opened a new one and it contained 4 of the plastic sleeves. I'm guess it's incase the customer damages on or looses one.

Kevin,

I'm going to try and get the car back up on the lift and see if I can find this plug on the side. About how many quarts will drain out of this plug?

thanks Kevin for the info.

Bruce

the plug is accessed only when the bottom pan is removed . If you have already reassembled and filled it there is really no point in taking it back apaart again

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I think another 4 quarts will drain from the side cover. As rockfangd said, the plug is accessable only with the pan removed so you'd need another pan gasket. Not worth it in my opinion at this point - just change it again (including removing the internal plug) when the trans. fluid life reaches 50%.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin and Rockfangd

Thanks for this info about this secret plug, I would have been looking all over the tranny for it :>)

I'll just wait for it to get down to 50% and then try to find it. Would it be on the drivers side or the passenger side of the tranny?

Bruce

Understood. What i am surprised about is that you mentioned your transmission life monitor dropping to 50%. Mine barely moved, and i think it read 97% after 18 years. I understood the algorithm just took into account overheating and somehow it detected towing. Unless the algorithm was updated, i don't know what else would decrease the fluid life monitor. Honestly, i don't think it's necessary to change the fluid again. I dont plan on changing mine unless if i still have my car in 2033.

Kevin and Rockfangd

Thanks for this info about this secret plug, I would have been looking all over the tranny for it :>)

I'll just wait for it to get down to 50% and then try to find it. Would it be on the drivers side or the passenger side of the tranny?

Bruce

It's not a secret plug...LOL it is mentioned in the service manuals.

If I remember correctly, it is in the narrow leg of the valve body area and an internal wiring harness is sort of in the way. It is a small pipe plug with a hex head - maybe 8mm across the flats.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Winterset

I think maybe you misunderstood me. My reading on the display for the tranny fluid now after this filter change is 100%. It will get down to 50% eventually but more than likely will take several years. So, in order to save the cost of another gasket and the labor at my garage I'll wait till the fluid life gets down to around 50%. It should be just fine because this time the fluid was still looking good and the pan was very clean....and also the fact that I baby the car and rarely press down hard on the gas and usually if I'm on the freeway, rarely go over 65.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Well - late on this as you have it back together - on my 95 Eldo ETC , just replaced the solenoids , and little filter and scavengers, and the trans. manual - was one pass at 4 ft.lbs. and final at 9 ft.lbs.

I used a quarter inch / inch ft.lbs. tourque wrench and a 6 sided socket not a 12.

Post #4 in this thread had the torque specs. and sequence.

27 in-lbs. first pass

53 in-lbs. 2nd pass

106 in-lbs. final pass.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived