CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 Deville shifter moves freely; does not change the gear.

Parked my 04 Deville today and when I went out to drive it again the shifter would move freely, when the brake was applied, but the gear would not change from park. (I read a related post on not being able to get out of Park, but that appeared to be more about the shifter not being released when the brake was applied, and I do not have that problem). So, stated another way, I can get the shift handle to move out of the Park position, but the electronic display stays in Park, and you can feel that the shifter moves more freely than it does when working correctly. There was no real warning, it was working one moment, then not at all. So far I've removed a couple torx bolts from the column housing, but do not have the housing off yet. It appears that the hight adjustment lever knob needs to be removed, and I don't know the trick for doing that. I'm hoping I find a cable that just needs to be re-attached somewhere. Any ideas?

It sounds like the shift cable has dislodged from the shift mechanicm or the transmission or is somehow damaged. The easiest thing to check is the transmission end - you will see the gear position switch on top of the transmission and the shift cable attaches to a bell crank bracket via a ball/socket connection. Check to see if that is connected and observe it while a helper moves the gearshift elver. If the bracket on the switch does not move, you know the problem is in the column at the cable attachment point. If the switch bracket does move, the problem is internal to the transmission.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Not a problem - No need to go underneath the car - open the hood and look between the master cylinder reservoir and the EGR valve (then look straight doen) and you'll see the shift cable.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm so glad for the suggestion to look at the linkage from the engine compartment, KHE! I found a rod, with a round end on it with what appears to be a nylon bushing, not connected to another piece with a peg sticking up, missing it's partner. I moved the nylon bushing over the peg, pushed down and got a little click. Bada-boom bada-bing... she now shifts into gear again.

I took a photo, but don't see an option to add a photo that isn't from a URL and the paste feature isn't taking an image either.

It seems a bit odd this connection came apart like it did. I'm going to hope for the moment the mechanic who repaired my water pump housing last week bumped it loose (like he did my cruise control wiring) and the snap back in place I did will last a good long while. If not, I may be shopping for a new nylon bushing, one that will stay in place. (I showed the wife how to do the fix, just in case) ;)

Huge THANK YOU for saving me a tone of time on this! :yupi3ti:

I'm so glad for the suggestion to look at the linkage from the engine compartment, KHE! I found a rod, with a round end on it with what appears to be a nylon bushing, not connected to another piece with a peg sticking up, missing it's partner. I moved the nylon bushing over the peg, pushed down and got a little click. Bada-boom bada-bing... she now shifts into gear again.

I took a photo, but don't see an option to add a photo that isn't from a URL and the paste feature isn't taking an image either.

It seems a bit odd this connection came apart like it did. I'm going to hope for the moment the mechanic who repaired my water pump housing last week bumped it loose (like he did my cruise control wiring) and the snap back in place I did will last a good long while. If not, I may be shopping for a new nylon bushing, one that will stay in place. (I showed the wife how to do the fix, just in case) ;)

Huge THANK YOU for saving me a tone of time on this! :yupi3ti:

The way I do pictures to forums is...

Get a free Photobucket account...

Upload your pictures to the free account...

Make a few folders to organize your pictures if you want to...

When you move the mouse over a picture, a little gear will pop up on the upper right corner of the picture.

Move the mouse over the gear and a menu will drop down... click on GET LINKS... click on the bottom one...IMG Codes

Then come to the forum and do a PASTE and your FULL SIZE picture is then here.

Posted Image

Glad it was an easy fix. I'm not sure how it would have come loose as it is a very tight snap fit. To disconnect it it takes a screwdriver to pry it off. You mentioned some work on the water pump housing - did the mechanic remove the crossover casting? It's possible he did not snap the cable onto the ball stud all the way and it came off.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was thinking the same. there is nothing to loosen to get that to pop off. It is a very tight fit. If it made a distinct pop when you reinstalled it then it is good.

Minor play is allowable over the ball but is kind of rare.

I would say it was not installed all the way and popped back off. luckily in park.

Great posts and nice picture

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I don't need a screwdriver to pop that connection. As a matter of fact, when showing my wife how to fix the problem, if it were to happen again on her by herself (and hopefully when in 'Park'), I disconnected the piece wih minimal finger effort, then showed her how to reconnect. Maybe I have a worn bushing that needs to b replaced? There is a slight click when poping it back into place. I wonder if the bushing can be replaced by itself, or if it would be the whole rod?

I do not know if the mechanic removed the crossover casting, but I know I paid 5 hours of labor for that job. It was explained to me that there was a lot of work to do to get down to the water pump housing fix I needed (it was leaking coolant).

Edited by Cache

If the gaskets between the water pump crossover and the heads/block were leaking, they would have had to remove the crossover. Huge PITA job with the engine in the car due to the tight clearances.

If the shift cable pops off that easily, the cable will probably need to be replaced since the plastic end is molded onto the inner cable. I've never seen this condition before - the cable is usually very tight to the ball stud on the bracket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would think it is likely to come off again if it is that easy to remove. Two things to consider. I would think, a person should get the new one ordered for when it does not stay on. I used a plastic zip tie on my cruise control cable, until I could get a new one. The thing is, it has never caused a problem and I have never put on the cable that I ordered. :)

Zip tie! Good call! I'm going to observe the connection while someone shifts through all the gears a few times. If I see too much slop in the connection I will zip tie it, to hopefully prevent any disconnections while in 'drive', which could obviously be really, really bad! (note to self, only move the shift lever while stopped. no dropping down gears on mountain drives, etc...) and I will order the new cable.

just a word of wisdom.

If it is going to bother you going down the road it would be a good idea to replace the cable. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

GM FAN FOREVER

There is definitely movement in the connection while the shifter is going through the gears. So, I've zip tied the linkage as a temp fix and will order a new shifter cable. Thanks for the help on this!

14126913477_5592976b90_n.jpg

Edited by Cache

just a word of wisdom.

If it is going to bother you going down the road it would be a good idea to replace the cable. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Speaking of going down the road, it would really suck to be driving, and it comes off, and the car decides it wants to shift into reverse.

just a word of wisdom.

Speaking of going down the road, it would really suck to be driving, and it comes off, and the car decides it wants to shift into reverse.

That wouldn't happen - if the cable was going to pop off, it would do it while shifting - either from reverse to drive or from park to reverse.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

exactly. Only thing that would be trouble is park. and if it is in gear the parking brake wont stay set so that would mean bad news

GM FAN FOREVER

exactly. Only thing that would be trouble is park. and if it is in gear the parking brake wont stay set so that would mean bad news

The 2000+ Devilles don't have the automatic parking brake release. That was another "Cadillac feature" deleted to save cost...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What? I absolutely love that feature. I show it off to people who dont have it lol. Why in the world would they delete such a great feature

GM FAN FOREVER

What? I absolutely love that feature. I show it off to people who dont have it lol. Why in the world would they delete such a great feature

For the same reason they deleted opra lights, power trunk pulldown, auto-dimming headlights, vinyl tops, lamp monitors, whitewall tires, trumpet horn, hood ornaments, trunk ornaments that conceal the lock, etc. - to cut cost. Nevermind that it is a Cadillac and they charge a premium price to begin with.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I love all of those features. my 96 has every feature you mentioned. Only thing I dont even notice is the lamp monitor. these features what makes a cadillac stand alone.

GM FAN FOREVER

• 8 years later...

This has helped so much I own an 01 took the shifter cable off to replace the heater core cross over pipe at the back of the engine on the driver side it displayed the wrong gear readjusted it for correct gear got it to shift to reverse then free movement on column shifter can go directly to the point he shows he zip tied and manually place back in park and it’s fine can now even shift all the way into drive and beyond but will not shift up will be checking the interior column and determining from there still adjustment manually at the same point fixes every time have a wire coat hanger zip ties and other means to shift from gear back to park for time being as it’s my only car I have a full time job and two children I can not afford to take it off the road at the moment and coat hanger is completely stable and reliable fingers crossed something lines up and proves to be the issue and doesn’t leave me hanging with no way of knowing for sure this is the first situation that has come close to mine I’ve been looking for months now but same issue water pump replaced my pipe then needed to be fixed as well so car was used very little at that time sat from april to June not able to be driven waiting on part to come in then this new issue seems older Cadillacs are a headache and a little touchy….. but it’s been every issue under the sun for me since I bought it in February