CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Deville Coolant coming out of overflow

I have a 98 Deville with a 4.6L v8 northstar.

About a week ago, my car overheated. Let it cool down and turns out, all my water was gone!

So, I found out that once the car gets up to running temp, pressure is pushing water out of the overflow tube, (there is only one reservoir with a tube right by the cap) untill there is no water left!

Checked my oil, it's clean so I'm hoping it's not a faulty head gasket. But I think its weird that water is just coming right back out? Somebody please help me.. This car is the love of my life, but if I'm looking at over $3,000 in labor cause of a HG I think it's time to say goodbye. So someone please give me some good news!!!

Also, it's not the thermostat. Just replaced that today.

Thanks man. I'm going to do that first thing tomorrow! If that's not the issue, any other ideas on what could be causing this?

A plugged purge line to the surge tank

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would replace the radiator cap for starters. Cap may not be holding pressure. cheap and easy

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

"water" is gone? U did add antifreeze back? It's at proper concentration? Or are you adding straight water in a quick attempt to get something in system? Get new rad cap. Verify purge line is flowing. Use proper coolant concentration. If you are spewing 1-2 gals of fluid, ur surge tank area is wet. Perhaps surge tank has crack which is not letting system pressurize and leading to boiling over.

I agree with rockfangd. Buy a new radiator cap. I had the same problem and it turned out the cap needed to be replaced. Not saying this is definitely the problem, but it's worth a try and not expensive.

You can test the radiator cap with the kit from Autozone. Not that they don't go bad but personally, I have never had a bad radiator cap with all the cars I've owned over the years.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Don't forget to test the kit for combustion products. They sell kits for this at auto parts stores.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived