CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1936 Automotive Assembly line

Jump to the site; they are trying to avoid having it embedded: Source: http://www.dump.com/assemblyline/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I believe that's a 1936 Chevrolet sedan. The first real clue was the OHV straight six. Everybody else used flatheads back then.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I think Cadillac Jim is right...

It's a 36 Chevy 2 door Sedan on the assembly line and then at the end it is a 36 Chevy 4 door Sedan that drives off into the distance...

Posted Image

I find the level of automation amazing for 1936. There may have been some merging of video from different plants for continuity. I heard that in the late 1950's that body panels were pressed in layers of three to five, and that a car was assembled out of the same layer so that the body panels would match up. I think that's an urban legend because there is no layer designation for replacement body panels and never was, but a sheet metal stamping and finishing plant could well be separated from a chassis plant, as would an engine plant and a transmission plat, or a plant doing CNC parts like brake cylinders.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Pressing body panels in layers would be a myth - If multiple layers of steel were pressed at once in the same tool, the pieces would not be able to be separated. Even if they were, each layer would be off by material thickness times the position in the stack. Controlling what layer each part came from in order to match it with other adjacent parts would be a nightmare to track.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE-thanks for the nail in the coffin on that one. I never did think it was a feasible idea. I think the provenance may be American-car-FUD.

Archived