CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Aftermarket Stereo Install

Ok, I am getting ready to ditch the stock head unit in my 2008 DTS. I am preordering the Kenwood DNN990HD http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?productid=192&cat=28&page=1 and am going to attempt to install it. I have the standard head unit (no gps) and the speaker covers say "Bose". I have an active Onstar account as well as an active XM account. I want to retain Onstar function and expect to have Sirius XM switch my account over to a new receiver http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?productid=165 but believe that I can adapt the factory antenna over to the SiriusXM.

What should I expect for issues? Are these mounting kits colored and textured to match the other control panels in that center area? Any advise?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Does anyone know the depth that I have to work with in the stereo head unit cavity of the dash? I have a DTS with no center console. It seats six and the trans selector is on the column.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

geez wish I could help. I dont have any idea on what is involved on the newer ones. I cant even think about how to do it lol. I hope someone chimes in on this

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Does anyone know the depth that I have to work with in the stereo head unit cavity of the dash? I have a DTS with no center console. It seats six and the trans selector is on the column.

Does the aftermarket HU have the right output to drive the BOSE speakers...

I seem to remember that they take a special signal to drive them...

They have their own AMPS on each speaker, or something like that...

Posted Image

The last install that I did in a Cad was my 95 SLS and it did have individual amps on each speaker but still took a standard analog signal. The volum was just louder with the aftermarket HU. This one I have no idea but the harness is $100+ so I am figuring that it will do all that I need.

I am just hoping that there is enough space to get this HU to sit into the dash. The OEM is a 6 disk changer so I am hoping that it's deep.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

• 2 months later...

hello I need aftermarket BOSE speakers. Can you tell reliable source to purchase them?

I'm wondering if an aftermarket unit will work at all. Isn't the radio multiplexed on the car data bus?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

How the radio hooks to the speakers depends on the radio. With the Bose speakers, a high-impedance line audio signal is fed to the speakers, each of which has an amplifier in it for just that speaker. The audio signals come from the Radio Interface Module (RIM) which is in the rear electronics bay using shielded twisted pair audio cables. The power to the Bose speakers comes through the Bose relays for the left and right sides, which are in the trunk compartment relay center number 3. There is a 30 Amp AMP FUSE that powers the speakers through the relays. The audio signal originates in the Integrated Radio Chassis which is in the dashboard. The IRC controls the CD changer in the trunk but its audio signal goes to the RIM.

If you have a cellular telephone or OnStar, it hooks to the RIM. Apparently, the RIM is the audio source selection and per-amplifier for the Bose configuration.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

hello I need aftermarket BOSE speakers. Can you tell reliable source to purchase them?

I think it will work

[link removed due to not being to bose speakers] - bruce

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody. I have a 96 Deville and I'm ditching the standard tape deck HU for a Kenwood CD player. The harness and kit I bought on ebay was about 30 bucks...100? I'm wondering if I bought the wrong stuff. I plan on trying to do this myself so if anyone has any tips on such a change on a 96 model, any help would be appreciated.

I just looked through the Wicked C.A.S. web site for model compatibility and installation instructions and found nothing, which is why we are getting inquiries about installation on Cadillacs here. The best ones to answer would be people who have successfully installed these new Kenwood nav/radio systems.

I had a little better luck with the Kenwood web site, finding the quick-start and owners' manuals online, but not the installers or model compatibility. It seems from the web sites that model compatibility should not be an issue with a 2006 Cadillac but without an online reference to installation instructions it's impossible to say what must be done to install a particular model of Kenwood car electronics into a particular model. What references I could find were in the user reviews on Amazon, and these reviews talked about installation by authorized dealers. This is not surprising because no one has said that installation instructions come with the unit in the box with it, and there seems to be no simple way to find model compatibility and installation instructions on the web sites. Unless someone here that has done an installation of one of the new Kenwood auto nav/radio systems steps up, the best thing to do would be to call Kenwood. The number should be on the paperwork that came with your unit. Failing that, you can get it from the Kenwood web site,

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/car_entertainment/excelon/

They have a dealer locator and I tried it, and several nearby Pep Boys and Best Buy stores popped up.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived