CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 DTS Shark Fin Antenna Swap

I am wishing to replace my antenna on the roof of my 08 DTS with one of the newer "Fin" looking ones. I believe that the base has to be changed as well and I have read that the opening in the roof needs to be filed larger. Does anyone have any insight into this mod? I have a vinyl top on the roof with the fiberglass shell underneath. Does that needed to be modified as well?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Personally, I'd leave it alone - you would risk water leaks, rust, and damage to a very expensive top.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would definately not mess with it. Is there anything wrong with the original? It is just my opinion as it seems once you disturb things they are just not the same. Especially being you have a landau. you have 3 layers to get through, the top, the inner top, and the roof. Too much going on already to even think about it. I feel the same way about moonroofs. A hole in the roof turns bad eventually/ Please dont take my advice as being bad. it is just my opinion :hatsoff:

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I would definately not mess with it. Is there anything wrong with the original? It is just my opinion as it seems once you disturb things they are just not the same. Especially being you have a landau. you have 3 layers to get through, the top, the inner top, and the roof. Too much going on already to even think about it. I feel the same way about moonroofs. A hole in the roof turns bad eventually/ Please dont take my advice as being bad. it is just my opinion :hatsoff:

A deer struck the original...

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Changing antenna types tends to mess with the associated electronics, as they are designed along with their antenna and installed and tuned for the antenna that they are shipped with. If this is just the GPS antenna, the worst you would be looking at is a loss of sensitivity, which would mean slower satellite locking on cloudy and rainy days and quicker loss of satellite transmissions in parking garages. If it is also used for the phone or OnStar transmitter, it could be hard on your transmitter. I would replace it with the OEM part.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I've had deer clear my car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

lol it took a minute to think about it. Feel free to share. I hit a turkey with my bus and it wasnt pretty. Must have liked the color yellow lol. I see why you are thinking the swap but I would stick with the original design unless the different design if for sure suitable for your system. Antennas and units can be very touchy if perfect parts are not matched.

GM FAN FOREVER

I am kind of surprised that no one is questioning a deer striking a roof mount antenna...

I figured you hit him so fast, he bounced along the top and tore it off... LOL

tell us the story.......

Posted Image

Well, I was about 3/4 of a mile from my house and a deer came out through some brush on the side of the road. It tried to jump the car but did not make it. I was traveling at apx. 45 mph. It has taken a month and a half to get the car back from the body shop.

http://s1113.beta.photobucket.com/user/jgray1978/library/11%202012%20Deer%20Incident

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

darn deer. At least they didnt total it. what did they do about the landau. I would probably cry if I did that to my Deville.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived