CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stiff shifter when cold

rockfangd

Hello all. Just curious my 96 Deville shifter gets stiff when it is cold outside.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this or do I have to replace the shift cable?

I am not sure if it is in the column, at the trans, or in the cable itself.

It is only stiff when it is cold.

Thanks. I might also note it does this every year but has not been too much of an issue unless something breaks

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Everything will stiffen up when it gets cold. Grease/lubes get thicker and cause more resistance. Is this something you just noticed or has it always been stiff in the cold?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you ever do get the cable in your hand, use moly grease. Likewise the rest of the linkage and mechanism.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The cables do not require any lubrication - especially the throttle cable. The shop manual has a warning about not lubricating the cables.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Interesting. Then, what's sticking when the car is cold?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thats what I want to know, I would say the cable is binding but that would be all the time. it only occurs when it is cold. I was wondering if it could be the column mechanism itself

GM FAN FOREVER

There is grease on the mechanism itself internal to the column. The stiffness you describe when the temperature is cold sounds normal to me.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

is there anything I can do?

Today I drove the car all over and it was stiff on startup but I found it was normal after that and I found myself shifting into third because I expected it to be stiff and it wasnt. I just dont want to break anything on it. Things tend to break easier when it is cold

GM FAN FOREVER

is there anything I can do?

Today I drove the car all over and it was stiff on startup but I found it was normal after that and I found myself shifting into third because I expected it to be stiff and it wasnt. I just dont want to break anything on it. Things tend to break easier when it is cold

Drive the car and forget about it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'd say that if this really bothered you, I'd change the cable. These are made with some kind of coating or lubrication inside the cable itself, possibly a Teflon lining on the inside of the sheath itself. Many things can happen over time, such as wear, or dirt getting inside, or simply a kink when the car was built. The fact that grease is not recommended makes perfect sense since all grease will dry out and stiffen up over a long period of years, it is also susceptible to stiffening up in the cold, whereas Teflon will not.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived