CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville transmission problem

rockfangd

Hi all. I had a 100 mile trip with my Deville today and about 25 miles into the trip the service engine and service transmission message came on.

I was doing about 60 mph and decelerating when it happened. The first thing I thought of was the TCC code. I was right and got the code

P0741 Torque convertor excessive slippage..

Now I have never had any shudder, slippage or anything at all til today. Honestly if it was not for the light and message I would not have even noticed anything. It still performed like always, nice and smooth with no shudder.

I did notice that engine rpms were about 200-300 higher than normal when the light is on.

I reset the light and drove it again tonight. It comes back on if I decelerate from around 50 to 40 without hitting the brake.

So basically I am pretty bummed because I love my Deville more than any of my vehicles and dont know what is going to happen with the transmission.

I hope I can make it through the winter then maybe I can come up with a decision on what to do. Being the car has 197000 miles and there is rust involved I dont know if I would be willing to try to remove the assembly for repair.

I was considering one decision eventually. If it does go bad I will remove it and have it rebuilt and install it in my Seville. (my Seville shudders around TCC lockup and there is a noise in the trans).

I am just bummed over this and do not have the time or financial to make any decisions right now. This car has been a wonderful car and owes me nothing so I cant say I didnt expect it. We already lost a trans on one of the other cars and I would hate to lose another.

Just thought I would share.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The owner's manual doesn't say to service the transmission but you'll notice that the recommended service pretty much goes to once-in-awhile-whatever around 80,000 miles or so. You've got just under 200,000 miles on your car. I would try having the tranny serviced, if you haven't already done so in the last year or so.

There are two kinds of slippage, braking and acceleration. The code is thrown when the TCC is commanded as engaged but more than 50 RPM slippage is detected. It takes a pretty tight TCC to keep from ever throwing the code. The thing that tells me that the TCC solenoid is sticking is that you notice about 300 RPM more slippage when the code is CURRENT, which seems to indicate that the TCC is releasing, not just slipping. When you run the OBD codes, perhaps we will know more about the TCC solenoid, or whatever else might be causing the TCC release.

I wouldn't panic just yet. Someone here that has done the TCC solenoid themselves before will be able to tell you what it takes to do the job yourself. In any case, there are those who will tell you that they have driven their cars for years with the TCC out without problems.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks jim.

My research tells me that the code is related to the torque convertor itself. the other code 0860 I believe would point to the solenoid or related electrical.

I have run the obd codes and the p0741 is the only code

GM FAN FOREVER

I'm sure that you have already checked the fluid level and such. At this point it does look like you do pretty much have your arms completely around things. Let's see what others say that have had similar experience and worked through it. The worst case is that you drive it without a TCC until you get around to dealing with it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I actually have not checked the level yet. I drove non stop today. My plan first thing tomorrow is to do just that. I thank you for your time. I hate to see anything happen to my Deville.

GM FAN FOREVER

Here is a thread that should be helpful, Logan had this problem. Logan has said that the P1860 causes P0741, I looked for his detailed thread on this job but could not find it.

http://caddyinfo.ipb...96&hl="my turn"

See this too

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18894&st=0&p=132294&hl="1860%20causes%200741"entry132294

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If you only have the P0741 code and P1860 code is not also set, the issue is the seals in the torque converter apply circuit. They are letting excessive fluid by and the torque converter is slipping more than 200 RPM which is the threshold in the PCM.

You're not going to have transmission failure based on the P0741 code. You'll lose 2-3 MPG and may feel a "fish bite" sensation when cruising up a long grade but that's about it.

The fix involves removing the transmission and replacing the seals in the torque converter apply circuit, replacing the torque converter and the TCC solenoid. A transmission shop can do that for around $1200.00. While the side cover is off, I'd replace the filter. You don't need to have the trans. rebuilt.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

ok thanks all, This may be a long shot but would a fluid change possibly help or does it have nothing to do with it?

GM FAN FOREVER

Ok sorry got no update. been very busy this week.

I drove the car 75 miles today and no matter what the problem would not occur. No problems at all. I even tried to get it to come on and it would not come on. I am truly stumped

GM FAN FOREVER

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. When it starts, it will be very intermittent, gradually becoming more frequent. A transmission shop will charge around $1200 to repair it. With a 2-3 MPG loss, it will take years to pay for the repair with the fuel savings.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived