CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I would not add any additive to my trans. fluid. Why do you think you need it?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Comparing the 4T65 tot he 4T80e is an apples to oranges comparison. The 4T80e is one of the most durable transmissions produced. Other than an occasional torque converter seal slippage (the P0741 code), they are very reliable. The transmission shop near me says they rarely have a 4T80e in for a rebuild. It is usually just a TCC solenoid ot a torque converter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If I wasn't having any problems, I would be VERY HESITANT to put any additive in my transmission.

Occaisionally changing the transmission fluid is about all I believe in doing to a transmission, unless there is an obvious problem.

Remember the old saying.... "If it ain't broke... Don't fix it." :):)

Posted Image

I completely agree with above.

Now on the other hand being familiar with W-bodies I know that on the 99+ there is a plastic gear known as the cookie gear, or sun gear. and when it gets worn it will whine a little and slip at operating temperature. You could try changing the fluid and filter but rarely miracles in bottles actually work.

honestly I loved the 4t60e that was vacumn modulated. They were geared much better and were alot more reliable

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Now on the other hand being familiar with W-bodies I know that on the 99+ there is a plastic gear known as the cookie gear, or sun gear. and when it gets worn it will whine a little and slip at operating temperature. You could try changing the fluid and filter but rarely miracles in bottles actually work.

honestly I loved the 4t60e that was vacumn modulated. They were geared much better and were alot more reliable

But I remember hearing about the planetary gears going out at 150k on those 4T60e trans.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

But I remember hearing about the planetary gears going out at 150k on those 4T60e trans.

lol that is the same gear I was referring to. It has many names in the vocabulary. Only on the newer design. I like the earlier 4t60 like the one in my 94 was bulletproof

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I did change the fluid, filter, and gasket in the 4T65 and still slips. I think that the transmission is junk. I'm gonna pull it and find someone here that'll rebuild it.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I did change the fluid, filter, and gasket in the 4T65 and still slips. I think that the transmission is junk. I'm gonna pull it and find someone here that'll rebuild it.

Jeff,

Shop around at the reputable transmission shops and see what they charge to remove and repair the transmission. A lot of times, the shops do not deduct that much money to remove the transmission when the vehicle owner pulls it vs. the trans. shop doing the entire job.

A reputable transmission shop will also know things like: "We usually only see 'X' wrong with those transmisions" Fixing what is wrong vs. doing a complete rebuild will be less money also. Just some thoughts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 year later...

Planetary gears don't cause slippage, but the bands and clutches on them do. If you have a rebuild, all the bands and clutches (and seals, and thrust washers, and snap rings, and gaskets, and filters....) will be in the rebuild kit. If a single clutch is the only problem to fix, the parts should be available without having to buy a complete rebuild kit.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived