CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

my 2001 sls has been dying intermittently for 2months. recently the stalling is occurring more frequent. sometimes it would start right back up and run like nothings wrong, then die again. sometimes it'll run fine for days or just last a couple miles. other times the only way the car would stay running is to rev the motor. in dec i took my car to dimmitt cadillac for stability message. they informed me i needed a steering wheel position sensor, ebcm, abs steering pump assembly, and an engine mount. i dont know if any of those components would effect my cars idle in any way. since then, the engine mount has been replaced. the charging system message came on once but wouldnt stay on. the auto parts store told me it was the alt. ive also been told it was a tps. ive cheked and cleaned grounds. any tips/help is appreciated. here are the codes im getting.

these are the steering wheel sensor, ebcm, abs pump.

C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open

C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction

not sure if these play a role in my problem.

amp B1004 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) -history

ddm B3832 - Window Position Sensor Circuit -history

ddm B3833 - Window Position Sensor Circuit -history

ddm U1715 - Loss of Front Door Module to Window Motor High Speed Comm. -history

ipc B1004 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) -history

ipm B1652 - Loss of Keep Alive Memory (KAM) -history

irc U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM -history

my fuel gauge acts up. im guessing a new sensor will fix this code.

pcm P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage -history

is this where my stalling issue are coming from???

pcm P0410 - Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System -current

pcm P0621 - Generator L-Terminal Circuit -history

ttm U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM

U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM

TonyG...

The most likely cause of your car dying is crankshaft sensors...

Sometimes they set a code... sometimes they don't.

There was a bad batch of sensors on the 2000 thru 2002 model years.

Posted Image

I'm having a simmilar issue with my 2001 Deville, but some times the idle is low and other times it is high at about 2200 rpms. The only codes I ever got was idle to high and idle to low. Is this possibily the same issue?

I'm having a simmilar issue with my 2001 Deville, but some times the idle is low and other times it is high at about 2200 rpms. The only codes I ever got was idle to high and idle to low. Is this possibily the same issue?

Your throttle body was probably dirty. When was it cleaned last? Dirt hangs the throttle plate open I also have had instances where the RPMs were 2200 after a highway ride. Clean the throttle body and see what happens.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Erratic idle that goes up and down can also be caused by a faulty throttle position sensor (TPS). That happened to me once, and the idle would then sometimes go up to as much as 2000 rpm. The TPS is connected to the throttle plate, and on my '97 DeVille it looks like it should be easy to change (at the time it happened several years ago, a dealer did it, but today I would have done it myself).

im gonna replace the crankshaft sensors today or tomorrow. I hope it works. Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update later.

Edit- just got a voicemail saying I got some map codes. p0106 p1106 intermittent high voltage.

I changed out the map sensor and cleared the codes. Took it on a 3mile test drive around my neighborhood and it ran fine. Ill see how it goes in the am.

seems to be running fine. but i seemed to have developed an oil leak. or it appears to be oil. it appears to be coming from the front-center, like directly behind radiator.

Car is stalling again lol. Bought the ckps over the weekend. Gonna change em out and check out the oil filter, adapter, pressure switch and cooler lines, if I have them. Thanks ranger

I bought an oil filter wrench. Looks like a big socket. It says 74/76mm 15 flutes. Its too big, it just turns around the filter. but the auto parts Guy insists that its correct. Do I have the right size

• 2 weeks later...

brought it to the shop down the street from me. Got the sensors changed out, an oil change, and they did the relearn for the ckps, everything for $149 out the door. Charged me for 1.5hrs of labor and I supplied the sensors, about $40 each.

brought it to the shop down the street from me. Got the sensors changed out, an oil change, and they did the relearn for the ckps, everything for $149 out the door. Charged me for 1.5hrs of labor and I supplied the sensors, about $40 each.

Glad you got them changed out.

Hopefully that will fix the stalling problem.

Posted Image

I dont know why the crank sensors for the 01s are so common. They seem to be more common than any other vehicle I know.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I dont know why the crank sensors for the 01s are so common. They seem to be more common than any other vehicle I know.

It was a supplier issue, poor quality or something

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived