CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TIRES!!!!TIRES!!!!TIRES

GR8NSTAR

I am surprised that none of the responses focused on your actual problems with the current tires you have. First off, improper rotation will ruin any tire you put on a FWD Caddy. Front to back and NEVER cross them is the rule of thumb here. Second, if you like to burn rubber per se, you kill the tires long before the tread runs out as well. I have replaced two sets of tires because of both reasons, and they both had significant tread remaining! I had the same problem both times at high speeds. I am all for Michelins, however. The Pilot Sport A/S offers a good combination of what you might be looking for. If you really want to "drag race" that Caddy, do what I did. Find a set of 15 inch rims and tires that will mount on the front of your car. The 15 inch tires will cost you less to replace. The 15 inch wheels will also offer the advantage of a higher final drive ratio. This translates to better low end because the motor is spinning faster, sooner! We all know that the NS is not a "low end" monster, and getting the "R's" sooner is beneficial. You can easily cut 3/10's of the 0-60 using the shorter meats!

I was looking around for a new set of tire a while back and decided on the Toyo Proxes TPT's. I had driven cars with Toyo's in the past and liked how they handled. I've had them on my car for about 4k miles or so now and love them. The handle great and look really nice too. Wet traction is really good, especially at cruising speed on the highway. The STS (Tire place, not the car hehe...) I went to had a promotion from Toyo running at the time I bought my tires for a free tank of gas when you purchased a set of 4. That was great. I would definitely buy them again. You might want to look into the Pirelli P4000's. My friend has them on his 1995 Deville Concours and says that they handle very well. I was thinking about them but they don't make them in the size I needed. 2"35"/60/R 16. Seems to be a strange size.

Why buy new tires when you can just wrap the outside of the old ones with rubber bands?

:lol: FGB,

Do you know how one can cook soup from one chiken forty times?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I want to thank all for your input. I found tirerack.com to be very helpful in my

decision. I went with the Bridgestone Turanza's LS-T. I have friends that work

at a local Firestone here in Colorado Springs so they gave me a buy 3 get 1 free deal and knocked $20 off of the lifetime wheel allignment. So I had to consider cost too. In addition to cost I went to tirerack.com and read all the reviews from customers who have this tire. Out of 196 reviews on a scale of 1-10 there were a

total of about 149 (76%) customers who gave the tire a rating of 8 or higher.

Now I planned to see if I agree with those 149 customers. I'm leaving tonight

for the Thanksgiving holiday from Colorado Springs to Arkansas. It's about a 16-18 hr drive one way. We have snow in our forcast and I may encounter some rain

once I get to lower elevations. The tires came with a 30 day test drive warranty so i'm pretty sure this 2000 mile round trip will afford me many opportunities to evaluate these tires in different weather. Once again thanks everybody for

your responses and I wish all a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Holiday and if you're

a believer I asked that you put my family and I in your prayers as we travel.

I just got a set of Michelin Symmetry's and they are great......I thought I was going to have to use the Hunter GSP9700 for my shimmy but all is well with a normal balance job on my 98 STS with 130K.

GMWA

• 2 weeks later...

Okay the verdict is in. I just got back from Thanksgiving vacation late Sunday

night, and like I figured, I drove through rain, snow, black ice, and dry conditions

on my 2000 mile road trip (round trip) from Colorado to Arkansas. During the trip

speeds ranged from 35mph to 109 mph. My new tires performed well and were

no noiser than the old Michelins that were on it. There were some reviews on these tires at tirerack.com stating that they weren't good in snow.

I have to strongly disagree as they performed beyond my expectations in icy conditions. Living in Colorado, snow is the norm for this state and as we entered the Southern Rockies late Sunday night pulling hills of 7% grades in a snow storm

I fully expected to get sidelined. I never slipped once. The traction control never

engaged, and believe me I saw everything from SUV's to jackknifed tractor trailers

stranded in the medians and off to the side of the road. Ain't God good?!!!!!

I'm not saying these are the best tires in the world, but for me and my pocket book I'm fully statisfied with them.

• 1 month later...

After 55,000 miles (total 91,000), I just replaced my Goodyear Eagle LS tires with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S Z rated....same size as originals 235/55-17 on a 2002 DTS. Got them through Big O rather than going straight to Tire Rack since they will rotate and balance at no charge every 5000 which is when I change oil. Installed it came to $159 ea.

They ride very well and unbelievably quiet. Just had a big snow and traction was also excellent. Hoping that tread wear is as good as all the reviews at Tire Rack. I think rotation and balance is key to getting max life out of a tire.

Ya I have B/F tires on myn but theres almost nothing left on them maybe 15 percent of the tread lol. I might be getting some TOYO performance tires though that still have 80 percent tread so I'll have to see cause tires is something that cost alot on these car!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

This is turning into a chat line! why dont we try to stay on topic!! Thanks................. Oh and I got them at Canadian Tire $139 a piece plus tax! B)

HA HA HA lol your right it is!!!! Canadian tire I'll have to check out there tires lol!

user posted image

I like Michilen Pilots myself the only problem is I can't afford them.

I'm on my second set of Pilots on my car and they've been great tires, but I haven't been impressed with the treadwear. Some others have gotten good treadwear from their Pilots, but I only get about 40,000 miles out of a set. That's right in line with every other tire I've had though. I can almost always add two zeros to the treadwear rating and come up with an expected mileage. The Pilots are rated at 400 for treadwear so 40,000 miles is spot-on for what I normally get out of tires.

To tell you the truth, I may jump off the Michelin train (Michelins are my favorite tires) and try a set of the new Goodyear Assurance. I'm looking at a set of ComforTreds for the Seville. I'll probably also put a set of ComforTreds on our Caravan when it needs tires. What I like most about them, especially for the van, is Goodyear has a 2 year roadside assistance program with those tires. If my wife gets a flat (driving either car), she doesn't have to change the spare. She'd never be able to, the lug nuts are too tight. But with Goodyear Assurance, she won't have to anyway.

They get great reviews on Tirerack, and I'm considering those now for a replacement set. My Seville's on 4-5 32nds of tread, and the van isn't far behind, so both cars will have new tires by the summer I think.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I've seen the commercial for those they look like awsome tires but yet again out of my price range some day I will be able to have really good tires on my car. LOL :D

user posted image

Archived