CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TIRES!!!!TIRES!!!!TIRES

GR8NSTAR

OKAY I KNOW THIS HAD BEEN A HOT TOPIC IN THE PAST. I'M ABOUT TO HEAD OUT ON A 16-18HR ROAD TRIP....... COLORADO TO ARKANSAS FOR THE

THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY AND I KNOW BERNADETTE (98 DEVILLE) NEEDS SOME

NEW TENNIS SHOES (TIRES). I DON'T KNOW WHICH BRAND TO GET. FROM LOOKING AT PREVIOUS POSTS MOST AGREE WITH MICHELINS PILOTS AND SOME DON'T AGREE AT ALL WITH MICHELINS BECAUSE OF FRANCE. WHEN I'M UP TO ABOUT 75MPH MY FRONT END SWAY FROM SIDE TO SIDE PRETTY BAD AND I'M HOPING THE NEW TIRES WILL CORRECT THIS PROBLEM AS THE CURRENT ONES ARE A BIT WORN. I'M CURRENTLY EYEBALLING THE Bridgestone Turanza LS-T with UNI-T AQ™ II P225/60R16 S SPEED RATING. I HAVE A FEW FRIENDS THAT WORK AT FIRESTONE SO I FIGURED I'D GIVE THEM MY BUSINESS

BUT NOT IF THE TIRES AREN'T ANY GOOD. ANYONE USING OR HAVE USED THIS PARTICULAR TIRE? ALSO IF I STILL EXPERIANCE THAT FRONT END SWAY AFTER PUTTING ON NEW TIRES ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT ELSE IT MIGHT BE? HERE'S

THE LINK I FOUND AND THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY FEED BACK......

http://mastercareusa.com/tires/catalog/bri...-turanzalst.jsp

I would visit tirerack.com and check out all the tire ratings there. There are always some oddball reviews, but in general, I think they tend to be right on. I've had many tires, and none have been better than Michelin -- that's why they get my money.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I know you are looking at Bridgestones, but in case you start considering other tires, I bought Cooper Lifeliners last year. But, don't like them. Kinda noisy. Also, one of them is already 'cupped' and makes a vibration. I don't recommend them.

About the swaying, had same problem, especially on wet or snowy roads and an alignment took care of that.

I would also go to Tirerack.com. Consider the conditions inwhich you live year round and also how you want your vehicle to look.

I personally have the BFGoodrich T/A's and have had plenty of complements on my '01 STS. The tires look like they belong on a muscle car but, are OEM 16's and that is how I want my vehicle to look. Besides the price was right.

With all of that said I'm sure you will choose wisely.

I am a Michelin fan also, I have a Deville and would be reluctant to put an H rated or higher tire on the Deville unless you want to ruin the ride, that is my opinion as this suspension seems to be designed for comfort over handling. I don't know how much you want to spend but if I could afford them I would buy the Hydroedge by Michelin, they look awesome. Epricedright just bought the Michelin X (I think its the X) and I think he was very happy. For me the XW4 and Symetry handles like crap in wet weather and the break into a spin to easily in wet. Mike

I recently purchased the Bridgestone Turanza's for my caddy and mini-van and wasn't too impressed. The ride was somewhat harsh and there was some tire noise. So I decided to try a set of Michelin X Radial DT's on the caddy and love them. They can only be purchased at Costco, Sam's and BJ's. Much softer ride and no noise. They're both 80k tires, but the michelins appear to have been made from a softer rubber compound giving them a smoother, softer ride, yet still providing a long treadlife...we'll see on the mileage. The small cracks in the road aren't nearly as noticeable with the Michelins compared to feeling every bump and crack with the Turanza's. The Michelin Harmony's are supposedly an equivalent tire to the X's and are sold at Discount tire among other tire stores. Thanks to the Turanza's, our mini-van now rides worse than ever...pretty much like a log wagon! :(

Tires, what a subject !! I am also in the market to replace the original Good Year LS's

on my '99 sts (30K miles, but 5 years old) . Have been on Tire Track a while, and wonder why Michelin is so favored by many "posters" here. T T has six tires suggested

for the 235/60R 16 99H replacement for OE, reading closely the Goodrich Traction T/A

H, and the Yokohama Avid V4S are the two highest rated, with a slight edge to Yoko.

Was planning on the Michelin Piolot xgt H4, but ptobably not after reading TT.

Anybody have the Yoko's ??

I apologize to all as I definitely wasn't yelling so I'm responding in lower case lettering :D . I appreciate all of the informative feed back and will definitely check

out tirerack.com. I'll post my decision on the verdict. Once again thanks to all.

reading closely the Goodrich Traction T/A

H, and the Yokohama Avid V4S are the two highest rated, with a slight edge to Yoko.

rofsts,

a few months back i remember a few people here giving the yokos praise as well on a similar post so i checked tirerack. i noticed the same thing on tirerack.com...the yoko avids get rave reviews! those are what i was leaning towards. If you get them before me, let me know how they are

goob

Well….that’s the way it is. You can go by something you read published by who knows, for what motives, or you can go by a survey of a bunch of Cadillac drivers that have successfully used a particular brand and type of tire for many miles and conditions and have been very happy…Your call.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I wonder about mail order tires. you have to mount them which is hard to do in your garage. so thats some money. than what about warranty? send it back to tirerack? what do you do in the meantime? it never fails. i buy tires locally and never hit anything. than i buy used tires and run over a nail in a month.

Check out the Hydroedges. I love mine. Very quiet and come with a great warranty. Well worth the xtra $$$. My local Michelin dealer through in a free lifetime rotation every 7,500 miles. Now if I can just figure out what lifetime. The tires, the car, or me.

GR8NSTAR,

I too have Hydroedges on my Chrysler 300M.

I am pretty hard on them as I can turn off the traction control for those

boulevard launches. After 24,000 miles they wear like iron and still sound

like a giant squeegee in the rain. Will be buying them for my STS soon...

my .02

Many of the feedbacks on Tirerack.com indicate the Hydroedges are a bit "rough" over bumps and can be noisy on some surfaces. Have you guys found that to be the case, on your Eldo and/or 300M?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I wonder about mail order tires. you have to mount them which is hard to do in your garage. so thats some money. than what about warranty? send it back to tirerack? what do you do in the meantime?

hey joeb,

you don't necessarily have to order your tires (or any other product). just take the input of people from this board and tirerack who have already used the particular brand(s) you're interested in, come to your own conclusion, then go to your local "tire guy" and purchase the tires.

Many of the feedbacks on Tirerack.com indicate the Hydroedges are a bit "rough" over bumps and can be noisy on some surfaces.  Have you guys found that to be the case, on your Eldo and/or 300M?

joeb,

The 300m is not very well refined compared to any Cadillac! I did not notice the noise increase when I replaced the BadYears. Great Grip in the RAIN though!

Good luck!

I tend to agree that the Hydro's are a bit "rough" over certain types of bumps. But "rough" is a very general term, that can be said about any tire. As for the noise, they are quieter than the stock Michelins about 95% of the time.

I am of the belief that tires present a bunch of trade offs. If you want a great handling tire that takes you through turns great like the Pilots or the Pilot XGT H rated tire expect to feel more bumps.

If you want a tire that BITES in wet weather, expect some more road noise as there are more sipes and a more aggressive tread. I have a quiet ride, that is good over bumps and is a smooth running tire in the XW4 and Symetry and it is poor in wet weather.

For my dollar and my DEVILLE, give me the best wet handling tire and I will put up with the negatives, ie more noise.

On the other hand, if I had an ETC or STS, I would look for the best corning tire where I could feel the road and put up with the negatives, ie, harsher ride with more feel of the bumps.

The Hydroedge gets mostly 10s for wet handling, wear, noise, it appears like a good compromise

A year ago I bought the Yokos avid touring tires delivered home by tirerack.com. I had them installed at a local service station- and had a high speed vibration. After two more re-balance checks, the problem was not resolved. It took my local mechanic to notice one of these new tires was out of round.

I finally got the tirerack people to give me a new tire only after being put through two more high tech balance attempts at their nearest affilliate retail location (an hour away).

Now that I have four good tires, the ride is wonderful, better than the goodyear aquatreads that were on prior. It is a very quiet tire, performs well on the dry road, but seemingly loses some of its grip on very rainy days. In Florida we commonly have strong rainstorms, and I have only lost complete confidence in the very strong rains.

Overall, I think it is a great tire, and very reasonably priced ($50 each at the time). I will not however purchase tires on the internet ever again.

A year ago I bought the Yokos avid touring tires delivered home by tirerack.com. I had them installed at a local service station- and had a high speed vibration. After two more re-balance checks, the problem was not resolved. It took my local mechanic to notice one of these new tires was out of round.

I had the same exactly problem with one of my Yokohama Avid Turing tires - out of round. Unfortunately, I noticed it too late and had to replace it with new one. Did not even try to request a replacement from tirerack I had bought the tires from. Good tires for the price. I have made some 35 kmiles and are goinfg to put new ones.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

BTW, I think it might be rather shop's fault - a poorly centered tire will wear out like out of round one. Strange it happened with the same brand....

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived