CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1985 Seville Hot and Cold Temp control

techsavvy

Hello,

Im new to this forum but not new to forums in general. I have search high and low but could not find any infor mation on a 1985 Seville V8-250 4.1L .

The A/C for the vehicle originally came with R-22 freon. Recently a conversion had taken place to change the freon to R-134a. All of the necessary components had been changed and the freon lines had been replace and sealed.

This is my situation.

While driving I keep the temp at 60 degF. it gets real cold. So i will turn the temp up to about 65 to 70 and the air will get warm. Almost the same temp as outside. And also sometimes one side will become cold while the other is hot.

I have search for a replacement actuator or Air Max or blend door. No luck in finding anything for this vehicle. I called the dealership and they mentioned that the 1985 Seville has something called a Electronic Climate Control unit under the passenger side dash.

If anyone has any information on what a Electronic Climate control unit is and where i could get one or how I could repair it. Then i would be greatly appreciative. .

Thanks is Advance,

Tech Savvy

The car originally had R-12 from the factory, not R-22. R-22 is for stationary A/C units.

It has been a long time since I worked on a Cadillac that old but there is a blend door actuator under the dash. It is controlled by the electronic climate control module that is visible on the dash.

You might try to find a factory service manual on ebay - often you can find them at a reasonable price and they pay for themselves the first time you need to use them.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

R-22 was used on home AC units... not in cars.

I think you meant R-12.

When you raise the temperature a little bit and it starts getting warm...and when the temps are different...

Is it warmer on the drivers side than on the passengers side??

If you haven't verified this... please check it.

Posted Image

R-22 was used on home AC units... not in cars.

I think you meant R-12.

When you raise the temperature a little bit and it starts getting warm...and when the temps are different...

Is it warmer on the drivers side than on the passengers side??

If you haven't verified this... please check it.

checked.

The temp is currently at 60. when I raise the temp to 65 it becomes warm on both sides.

I also feel like the electronic climate control is not working properly because when i select low med or high there is very little change. It could be the blend door acuator being stuck and not wanting to open.

Before you go buying parts...

Slowly run the temp up to 90 and then slowly bring it back down to 60...take at least a minute each way

Do that a couple of times... sometimes that will reset the door to the correct position.

Posted Image

With the climate control panel set to AUTO 60 degrees, what is the temperature of the outlet air from the ducts. Also, what is the outside temperature?

The system may just need a little R-12 to restore the proper operation.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

With the climate control panel set to AUTO 60 degrees, what is the temperature of the outlet air from the ducts. Also, what is the outside temperature?

The system may just need a little R-12 to restore the proper operation.

I think he converted to R-134...

But you are right... it may just need a small shot of freon...

Posted Image

ok, I was able to run some test.

From left to right. The vents were gauged by a TIF7610 IR Thermometer PRO.

66 - 70 - 75 - 73 before i performed a Simple up and down test.

64 - 68 - 69 - 69 after i performed a Simple up and down test.

Outside temp was 92

hooked up my A/C gauges and I have about 40 psi on the blue side.

ok, I was able to run some test.

From left to right. The vents were gauged by a TIF7610 IR Thermometer PRO.

66 - 70 - 75 - 73 before i performed a Simple up and down test.

64 - 68 - 69 - 69 after i performed a Simple up and down test.

Outside temp was 92

hooked up my A/C gauges and I have about 40 psi on the blue side.

I assume by up and down test... you mean running the temp to 90 and then back down to 60...

Correct me if I am wrong..

Looks like the temps "AFTER" you did the test are a lot more uniform and quite a bit cooler.

2 degrees on the first 2 vents... 6 degrees on the 3rd vent and 4 on the right vent.

6 degrees is a very noticeable difference in temp to the occupant...

I am not sure what the pressure should be but we have an AC guy here...

I hope he sees this and will chime in.

Posted Image

What was the high side pressure reading? The high side reading is needed to compare with the low side reading. Also, was the 40 psi reading right before the compressor cycled off?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What was the high side pressure reading? The high side reading is needed to compare with the low side reading. Also, was the 40 psi reading right before the compressor cycled off?

the high side reading im not sure. I remember the low side being 40 some PSI. I did equalize the lines using a Robinair A/C machine. I will let you know when I find the high side readings.

yeah, Sorry everyone. I havent been able to get the vehicle to test it yet. Ive been swamped.

If anyone knows a place where there is a list of all the components to the A/c system to this vehicle. then maybe i could troubleshoot differently.

thanks again,

TechSavvy

I would recommend removing glove box lining or whatever you call it (a couple of screws). You will see an electrical motor, called "programmer" with a lever (actuator) attached to it.

You can see that lever moving from one position (Air Mix door is closed) to the other - the door is completely open when you hold Warmer/Colder buttons. Sometimes that plastic lever snaps off the motor shaft causing problems. There must be other electronically controlled mechanical doors, but this one is very easy to access.

My memory may let me down for I saw those mechanisms many years ago. BBF might remember more details since he owned a 1991 Seville with same body type too and his memory unlike mine is as strong as Northstar's timing chain! :)

Check this out as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Cadillac-Brougham-Eldorado-Seville-Service-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae14f1d25QQitemZ390327115045QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature#ht_755wt_940

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Cadillac-Brougham-Eldorado-SeVille-Service-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2565440186QQitemZ160612745606QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature#ht_500wt_1182

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived