CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Tires: Going for the Spare

I like my Cadillacs as touring cars.  Cadillac models  make terrific road trip cars since they are comfortable to travel over long distances, yet offer terrific performance. Because of my recent tire issue I recognize I am sensitive on this topic, and perhaps old-fashioned, but I would like to have a spare tire in [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Assuming that the wheels will interchange...

One tire and wheel will be all you need.

If all you were going to use it for is an emergency spare to get you to the next town...it doesn't even have to be the same brand/tread design.

Buy a NON DIRECTIONAL tire to mount on the spare wheel and you wouldn't have to worry about it tirning the wrong way.

(I know how you are)... :) :)

Posted Image

Bruce,

Seeing that your CTS-V came with run-flats as standard equipment, Is there room for a spare of any description?

I'm one of those who want a full size spare, but in lieu of that, I would at least have a donut spare AND a JACK! Your car may not have them due to the OEM run-flat tires.

Britt

Britt

I've had my 1997 ETC since October 1997 and I've never had to mount the spare. I really have no idea how much air is in it or whether or not it is roadworthy. I've bought a set of tires about every 45,000 miles, so I'm on my fourth set. So, unless the run-flat tires are susceptible to failures - and I would wager that they are at least as reliable as regular tires - then the one-spare-fits-all approach seems like a good idea to me.

I get a computed rolling diameter of 27.04 inches for the front and 27.66 inches for the rear. Using the principle of the compact spare, I would get the smallest wheel, 6 or 7 inch rims, that will mount a tire with about a 27.5 inch diameter tire. I would ignore the offset unless it is way out of line; anything from 45 to 60 mm should make for a car that is drivable at 45-55 mph.

I would expect that your interest in a spare is not at all unusual. Perhaps a conversation with The Tire Rack or other large national tire retailer would have a ready-made solution?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Bruce I just returned from the corvette homecoming, 1600 miles round trip. I was somewhat apprehensive starting out after your incident, however nothing to worry about this time. I think I would go for the spare with a full size car also, not in this little car! I imagine you had a rare happening though. All the "inflate a tire" cans in the world wouldn't have done you any good either.

I didn't hear of anyone in KY with any incidents either so must be a rare occurrence indeed. Are you planning on a small floor jack or scissor jack? When we were younger (and broke) my buddy used to just have a spare, figured someone would stop with a jack, but nobody is gonna loan their spare. :ph34r:

Airmike, want to hear more about the homecoming; glad they included XLRs at Bowling Green this year.

I know I am overly focused on tires due to last week's stop, but if I can find a front wheel/tire at a good price I can get a jack & wrench np and I would feel better about it with a full size spare.

Britt-- I was able to fit a full size spare in the normal space under the floor of the trunk on the CTS, but the CTS had 16" wheels, so we'll see. For a long trip even if the wheel/tire are in a cover in the trunk I would feel better about it.

Meanwhile, yes fix-a-flat and air pump.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My '83 Mk VI was the last car I owned with a full sized spare. And only then because I bought a full sized tire and a "turbine wheel."

The spare tire well in the last three Eldorados will not accommodate anything larger than a $#@! doughnut. I HATE those things! Sacrificing a significant percentage of an already small trunk compartment is not an option.

I feel Bruce's frustration.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I share the feeling about the donut spares. But I also know that it has been YEARS since I have had to use a spare. (I'm going to Oshkosh this weekend so watch this space! :glare: )

The "donut" spare is just there to get you to a place where you can find a real tire. It is only a crutch or a band aid.

I definitely don't like the idea of putting a "donut" opposite a drive wheel. The spider gears will take a beating! If I was out west somewhere and had a looooong :angry2: drive to get a replacement tire, I would concider moving a full size tire into that position and put the "donut" on a non drive axel. For those that have all wheel drive or different tire sizes front & rear, this is not an :angry2: option.

Britt

Archived