CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump need help!

greg huff

Hi guys,

I am new around here, I was searching for some online help when I stumbled across this board.

Looks pretty cool.

I am trying to change out the water pump on my '87 Coupe DeVille and just need some advise.

It looks to me that I have to go underneith and pull the power steering pump first.

I unbolted it last night and found that there isn't enough room to remove it.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way of attacking it from the top?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Greg.

I worked at an auto parts store where we sold alot of this one tool that was used to remove water pumps or water pump pulleys on cadillacs. I wonder if thats something on your engine you will need. Someone should shed some light.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I suspect you may be talking about the Northstar water pump tool (socket). If so, that's not applicable on Greg's engine.

Must be it. Alot of shops needed it and this was 10 years ago so thought maybe it was for pre northstar.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I don't know if it's North Star. The air cleaner says HT 4100 V8.

What I thought was the power steering pump turns out to be the air compressor for the A/C.

Good news, I was able to pull it. My problem now is pulling out the water pump itself.

I've completely unbolted it and it won't budge. PLEASE forgive my ignorance I am new in the

Caddy world. I've worked on Chevy V8's, Volkswagons and just about any thing that could

go wrong on these cars. I am not a newby and turning wrench...this car has me completly

up in arms though.

CoupeDTS...Nice profile pic. That rocks, 520 tires wires & lifted....my kind of car.

The tool you may need is a power steering pulley puller to remove the power steering pump pulley if that is in the way of the water pump.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The Northstar is a 4.6 and the 4.1 (4100) is a far cry from a Northstar. The production order was 4.1 (HT4100) > 4.5 > 4.9 > 4.6 (Northstar)

The Northstar is a 4.6 and the 4.1 (4100) is a far cry from a Northstar. The production order was 4.1 (HT4100) > 4.5 > 4.9 > 4.6 (Northstar)

Exactly, Ranger. The 4100 is probably much closer to 4.5 which is like 4.9. I just checked rockauto.com. It looks like the same water pump I had on my 4.9. I have a new one laying around.

What is exactly the problem? As I remember some bolts, studs, nuts were difficult to remove, the rest was straight forward unless someone applied some adhesives to the gasket.

BBF has replaced his 4.9 water pump in the parking lot of a Hilton!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have a 1988 Deville with a 4.5L engine. Water pump on yours is exactly the same as

mine. Just replaced my water pump a while back.

There are 2 Torx screws in the center, I think one is hidden under the pulley. If you didnt remove

the pulley first you may not have seen that screw. So one screw may still be attached and you just

couldnt see it.

You need to take the pulley off to get to the one screw I think. And you will remove the water

pump from the top.

I have a 1988 Deville with a 4.5L engine. Water pump on yours is exactly the same as

There are 2 Torx screws in the center, I think one is hidden under the pulley. If you didnt remove

the pulley first you may not have seen that screw. So one screw may still be attached and you just

couldnt see it.

You need to take the pulley off to get to the one screw I think. And you will remove the water

pump from the top.

Too keep the pulley in place while unscrewing it, put the serpentine belt back.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Youre right, forgot to say that! But it was suprisingly easy when I did this job

a few months back. And I was looking at my old water pump and I think 2 screw

holes may be covered by the pulley.

couldnt see it.

pump from the top.

Too keep the pulley in place while unscrewing it, put the serpentine belt back.

Archived