CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

not a good day

rockfangd

have to post just not a good day today. I have gone over 150 miles since the intake job, and 95 miles since the high idle problem went away, then today happened.

Tonight I started the car and the idle was at 1100 RPM, once it settled a little I started to drive it home. At every stoplight the coolant temp kept rising over normal and the idle was about 800. So I stopped at the gas station and put it in park and the check engine light came on throwing the dreaded P0507 code. I let it idle in park and iit quickly went up to around 230F coolant temp. I mean within a minute, went down to 222 and stayed. What is going on I dont know.

Here is what I do know

as long as I am moving the temp stays ok

at idle coolant temp rises.

When I opened the hood at he gas station the upper radiator hose felt rock hard.

I am hoping maybe the coolant is just low and I am not getting a message but I wont know till morning.

The thing that really sucks is I was supposed to go 120 miles in the morning and Dont want to get stranded or damage anything.

All I can say is thank god for my very reliable Deville. Even with high mileage it is more reliable right now than my seville, and I have almost 7000 into my seville already.

Guess I just cant win sometimes :(

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

as long as I am moving the temp stays ok

at idle coolant temp rises.

When I opened the hood at he gas station the upper radiator hose felt rock hard.

Have you verified that the fans are working properly? The symptoms seem to point to improper fan operation.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check the coolant level, purge line

This could be because the engine is racing also, given the outside temps

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I know the putge bolt is good, outside temp last night was 57F.

going to check things out today.

GM FAN FOREVER

Even with the car cold, bot fans should run at low speed when the A/C is ON, which is the normal condition for anything but the coldest weather.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thank you for the tip. I checked all fluids this morning and nothing was low. weirdly I could swear I thought I saw some tiny shavings in the purge tank. Looked metallic.

I am just getting depressed with this car. I understand there is only so much you can do but I am afraid of a road trip with the car at this time, and I love to travel.

This car has been quite a headache so far, I muust say but regardless it is worth it. Tis the reason why I really love my Deville.

I will verify operation of the fans in the morning.

Thanks again

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived