CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 El Dorado Blower Motor Stays On

Cyrus

on the light note the heatercore is not bad to change. It is about 45.00 on rockauto. About 1.0 hr to change

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Quick addition:

Drove it around the block a few times, about 3-4 miles worth of driving, and it didn't leak or heat up once. Plugged the blower motor in, then drove for a bit, THEN it started to leak a bit. Drove it back immediately and parked it. How am I going to be able to tell whether its the hose/pipes or the actual core? Am I going to need to put it up on a rack or can I do it in my driveway?

Cyrus

easy, heatercore leaks inside car,

hoses leak under the hood.

Honestly I think the heatercore would go before a hose.

Short drives dnt build enough pressure to cause leaks sometimes

GM FAN FOREVER

To my understanding, I can't drive it now, without a heater core, lest I risk overheating? On the trip back, after turning the air down, the engine temp (well coolant temp) was REMARKABLY cooler than normal, actually. Was kind of a colder day though.

This is hazzardous! The tempsensor can show less because there is air and no coolant in the area! DO NOT DRIVE!!!

I've stopped driving it after confirming it was more than a one time thing. No worries.

I'm probably going to route it until I can get a replacement, depending on the work required to do so. If it's too much of a hassle, I might just save the work for the replacement. I need a car asap.

Cyrus

(Do I HAVE to bleed it before I bypass it? What would happen if I didn't, worst case scenario? Is there a particular coupling I'd need?)

I've stopped driving it after confirming it was more than a one time thing. No worries.

I'm probably going to route it until I can get a replacement, depending on the work required to do so. If it's too much of a hassle, I might just save the work for the replacement. I need a car asap.

Cyrus

(Do I HAVE to bleed it before I bypass it? What would happen if I didn't, worst case scenario? Is there a particular coupling I'd need?)

Do you mean "Drain the system" before bypassing the heater core? If so, the answer is yes, unless you want coolant leaking out everywhere when you disconnect the hoses.

The system will self bleed when you refill the coolant.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would say related, Is the blower motor working now though?

GM FAN FOREVER

As far as your blower motor, My 94 Manual says that there are 2 things that cause the motor to stay on. 1.) is a faulty blower motor. 2.) is the heater and AC programmer(ACP) under dash behind the glove compartment. Also check the gray/black wire going into the blower motor for a short. Also spark plug wires within 1" of the blower motor will kill the blower motor prematurely. Make sure the plug wires are not touching the blower motor. I thought that the 94 blower motor had the external resistor but I looked in my 94 Concours and did not see one. I replaced the one on my 92 Deville when it had the same problem as Cyrus.

Archived