the fun has just begun

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Are you going to timesert it or use studs? How did you get it out (I guess you don't have a lift in your carport)?

used jack stands and a engine hoist tryd 2 put up pics woudnt let me no i returning it to salavge yard for an exchange getting a 99 motor o0ut of a deville used my 4 wheeler to drag it out from under car pic of motor in my avarer

Did you drop the entire powertrain or just remove the engine from the top?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

thats good timing. If you dont mind me asking why particularly a 1999 engine?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

you did not say what is wrong with current motor. a good motor is 350-500 at junkyard. so you need to remove motor from cradle/trans. haul to junkyard. reverse process. don't know how many accessories you are tearing off. a/c, alt, p/s, intake, exhaust manifolds, serp belt, pulleys. yes a lot of work. do you want to take off heads and timesert your present motor? maybe it has other issues? spun bearing, bad rod, cracked block. i am sure yard motor has 30 day warranty. how about 6 months-1yr from now?

no engine has been tested and is good

Who "tested" this engine? Or is that what the junkyard said? Why was the donor vehicle in the junkyard?

I would not want to go through the PITA of R&Ring an engine only to find out the replacement engine had issues. You don't know how long the engine has been sitting in the junkyard, if there is rust in the cylinders, etc. The original design rear main seals, oil manifold plate, etc. will leak with time and miles. It is more time and money to replace those items but you'd have a leak free engine for the life of the vehicle.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

old motor had blown head gaskets and smoked oil too. engine oil was never changed all siugged up in side .Motor I just took out had bad head gaskets from cambell hall auto salvage they told me they tested it they lied .got my money back went somewere else found a 99 with 88000 miles that was hit in the back car was well matined i went and herd motor runing did compression test and block test no oil leaks. Stayd blue used northstars around hear go for 1400.00 with 91 day warranty having it deliverd to my shop tomorrow. I plan on taking the old motor apart and see if it useable will properly do norms time serts and rebuild it my car is a 98 deville had 115000 on it one driver car is close to perfect inside and ouy except for a dent on passenger door paid 200.00 for car a friend of mine has a 99 deville concours 170000 miles runs perfect. I would like to show pics of car dont know how to transfer them here from photobucket

Johnny, the '99 engines seem to be the worst for head gasket failures for some unknown reason. Cadillacforums has a poll on HG failures and the '99 leads by a large margin. Granted, it is an unscientific poll, but I have been paying more attention and it seems that (almost) every time there is an overheating problem, it's a '99. Pulling the heads and inserting or studding the block now, before you install it would be my recommendation (FWIW) and much easier unless you don't mind taking your chances and doing it again in the future. Of coarse how long you plan on keeping the car would be a factor on your decision.

Johnny, the '99 engines seem to be the worst for head gasket failures for some unknown reason. Cadillacforums has a poll on HG failures and the '99 leads by a large margin. Granted, it is an unscientific poll, but I have been paying more attention and it seems that (almost) every time there is an overheating problem, it's a '99. Pulling the heads and inserting or studding the block now, before you install it would be my recommendation (FWIW) and much easier unless you don't mind taking your chances and doing it again in the future. Of coarse how long you plan on keeping the car would be a factor on your decision.

That is why I asked, and it also seems that the 99 is the hardest to truly tell. I have a 99 right now that has passed all tests I have done but still has it. It just hit 100000.

maybe it is just me but I think 96 is the best year. although I had a 96 ETC that had badly blown HG problem. honestly I wouldnt trust anywhere around my area for this engine. If I pulled a used engine I would do the job myself, just to save time, and it is insurance without having to worry about when it is going to happen

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

2nd engine failed. going to try 3rd motor and hope for best. sure it lots of work to pull heads but motor being delivered is probably stripped down. saw used timesert kit on ebay for 280. buy it now price. sell it when done. at least you can clean carbon off of piston tops and combustion chamber. so pay 1400 for a "core" motor? why not fix your core motor sitting on the floor.

original motor was full of crud. sounds like you did not use it as core and still have it. used motor was bad and you are using it as core for next motor? or does your yard not want core motors?

2nd engine failed. going to try 3rd motor and hope for best. sure it lots of work to pull heads but motor being delivered is probably stripped down. saw used timesert kit on ebay for 280. buy it now price. sell it when done. at least you can clean carbon off of piston tops and combustion chamber. so pay 1400 for a "core" motor? why not fix your core motor sitting on the floor.

hey Joeb. what time-sert kit are you planning on getting? does it include the plate? how much are you asking to resell it?

many timesert brand kits on ebay but not all are for northstar. 42385-500? i bought and sold my kit for about the same money. 300 or so. usually a couple of northstar kits listed but not always. paying 400 and selling it for 300 is not bad. sort of a rental fee. the sub 300 kits are rare. there is a tool supply shop 1 mile from my house that sells inserts. $3 each?

Archived