CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Factory cassette deck question

blk987

I have a factory cassette deck in my 98 deville and in the garage I have a factory C.D. player for the same year and model car. Is there any way possible to put the C.D. player in to replace the cassette deck. I tried it once but of course the anti-theft popped up on the screen. So can it be reprogrammed? Please help I dont own a cassette and the kids are tired of listening to talk radio when were driving around.

I have an excellent working Bose AM/FM/CD radio from a 95 DeVille that I wish would work in my 96. :wipetears But I'm pretty sure yours can be reprogrammed by the dealer as long as it's made to work in a 98.

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I believe the radio can be reprogrammed - you will need to contact a dealer or a Delco radio repair center.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I thought the theftloc ones were vin encrypted and cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle?

Why not just add the 12 Disc changer in the trunk.

Pull carpet in right corner of trunk(near taillight ) and look for plug, black in color, 7 pins.

If your stereo has a source button it should work.

If you want do a search for 12 disc changer addition as i did a full writeup on compatibilities, I wired up a changer in my 96 Deville

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The IRC module, which integrates the radio with the rest of the car through the Class 2 network as well as operates the radio controls, is programmed with the VIN of the car. If the VIN doesn't match, the radio won't work. That's been true of all GM cars for many years, probably at least since OBD II (1996 model year).

The dealer can reprogram radios because the dealer policy for warranty repairs was, in 1997, to exchange the radio for a refurbished one and to send yours in to a specialty shop within GM (or on contract to GM), and they did this for me. I would expect that, since this is a theft prevention and deterrent feature, that this is a Tech II job that requires security measures be met, i.e. only specific techs are first bonded and then trained on how to do this. It's a dealer job.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I thought the theftloc ones were vin encrypted and cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle?

Pull carpet in right corner of trunk(near taillight ) and look for plug, black in color, 7 pins.

If you want do a search for 12 disc changer addition as i did a full writeup on compatibilities, I wired up a changer in my 96 Deville

I like the idea of the disk changer, Im going to look into that. Thanks guys everybodys info is always so helpful here. Thankyou for the ideas.

they sell cd players that have a cassette on them you stick the cassette in and the cd plays thru the cassette on your speakers its attached with a wire to the cd player i have one sounds good

Yeah, I had the cassette adapter in high school and still using one today for the ipod, I like the c.d. changer idea but Ill probably end up just getting a new radio from Best Buy and get back up with the times.

I still suggest you read my writeup. It is really useful and makes alot of sense of things

GM FAN FOREVER

I was looking for the wiring connector for the cd changer in the trunk and found two of them. One has seven wires and a resistor plugged into two of the open terminals and the other wiring connector is much larger and not being used either. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like Im equipped for the cd changer? I checked the Haynes manual and like usual I diidnt find anything about the possible cd changer. I also checked the shematics in the back for an audio page to maybe compare the wires in the trunk to the diagram and color codes in the book but they didnt put a shematic of any of the audio in there.The Haynes manual for this car has information on I believe 16 years of devilles and sevilles so I guess they had to leave a few things out.

I still suggest you read my writeup. It is really useful and makes alot of sense of things

I just noticed a few minutes ago that you posted this and it must haved slipped by me. I did a search and couldn't find it. I know Im just not looking in the right place. Could you help me and tell me how to search this. I feel like an idiot asking that but seriously I dont know where to go. Thankyou

The Haynes and other similar manuals are worthwhile for things like tires, shocks, belts and hoses, cooling system, etc. but for anything that deals with the details of a particular model they are worthless. You need a factory shop manual to get wiring diagrams, connector descriptions, DTC fix charts, etc. You can get used ones on eBay inexpensively.

From what little is in the 1997 FSM, page 9A-32, the connector for the CD Changer comes through the trunk liner and plugs into the changer from the rear. The CD changer is shown in the radio schematic on page 8A-150-6, and it has seven wires to it, and there is only one connector shown on page 9A-32. There is a power, a ground, a DK GRN "E_C" data line to the radio, and a three-wire twisted cable with grounded shield to carry sound to the radio. The connector is detailed on the 8A-202-36 as having ten cavities, seven of which are used. I don't see a resistor, but when the CD player is not present the factory may put in two resistors that tie the audio signals to ground, or perhaps one that ties the data line to ground, or even all three. The pinout is, counting from the right to the left with the clamp on the top and looking into the connector,

1, BRN/WHT, left audio

2, DK GRN/WHT, right audio

3, BLK/WHT, audio ground

4, BARE, shield for audio cable

Gap

5, ORN, fused battery signal

6, Not used

7, BLK, ground

8, Not used

9, Not used

10, DK GRN, Serial data signal - E and C

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The Haynes and other similar manuals are worthwhile for things like tires, shocks, belts and hoses, cooling system, etc. but for anything that deals with the details of a particular model they are worthless. You need a factory shop manual to get wiring diagrams, connector descriptions, DTC fix charts, etc. You can get used ones on eBay inexpensively.

From what little is in the 1997 FSM, page 9A-32, the connector for the CD Changer comes through the trunk liner and plugs into the changer from the rear. The CD changer is shown in the radio schematic on page 8A-150-6, and it has seven wires to it, and there is only one connector shown on page 9A-32. There is a power, a ground, a DK GRN "E_C" data line to the radio, and a three-wire twisted cable with grounded shield to carry sound to the radio. The connector is detailed on the 8A-202-36 as having ten cavities, seven of which are used. I don't see a resistor, but when the CD player is not present the factory may put in two resistors that tie the audio signals to ground, or perhaps one that ties the data line to ground, or even all three. The pinout is, counting from the right to the left with the clamp on the top and looking into the connector,

1, BRN/WHT, left audio

2, DK GRN/WHT, right audio

3, BLK/WHT, audio ground

4, BARE, shield for audio cable

Gap

5, ORN, fused battery signal

6, Not used

7, BLK, ground

8, Not used

9, Not used

10, DK GRN, Serial data signal - E and C

You are awesome, I would love to have a disc changer and all of the colors match with those you listed in the last post. Thankyou, you always have some great information

Thanks for the kudos but, the FSM is awesome, I just read it. ;)

I will find the topic and send it to you. So yu are saying you have the plug in the trunk, maybe I missed a post

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived