CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changed my alternator and now my abs and traction lights are on

truprayaz

Okay so we are going to check the sensor in a few minutes....we've had crazy rain and no chance to check it till today:-) Plus the light has been off mostly but came on several times today. And at one point when I was driving I went to hit the brakes and it kinda did a sort of a lurch/jerk to a stop like the brake was trying to catch....which is odd cause we had new rotors and brakes put on less than a year ago. Could this be another sign that the hub is bad? Also I checked ebay and I can get the new front wheel hub bearing assembly with abs for under 50.00 free shipping....is this what I'd have to replace or do I need the abs control module? Thanks

The abs speed sensor is part of the hub bearing, go to www.rockauto.com and search for hub bearing its about $75

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Okay so we are going to check the sensor in a few minutes....we've had crazy rain and no chance to check it till today:-) Plus the light has been off mostly but came on several times today.

And at one point when I was driving I went to hit the brakes and it kinda did a sort of a lurch/jerk to a stop like the brake was trying to catch....which is odd cause we had new rotors and brakes put on less than a year ago. Could this be another sign that the hub is bad? Also I checked ebay and I can get the new front wheel hub bearing assembly with abs for under 50.00 free shipping....is this what I'd have to replace or do I need the abs control module? Thanks

The lurch/jerk was probably the ABS kicking in.

It feels real strange if you are not used to it.

Don't get the cart before the horse and start buying parts till you know you actually "NEED" parts. :) :)

Check the plug and wiring...

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had this exact problem in my 94 SLS.

It turned out that the abs and traction disabling was caused from low brake fluid in the reservoir.

Every time I would take a right turn it would disable.

Did you ever figure out what was causing your issue?

Michele and Roy,

1. Why did you replace the alternator?

2. How old is the battery? Was it discharged completely a couple of times? Any recent load tests?

My guess is that the battery does not provide sufficient power and ABS might be the weakest link (old and dirty or loose contacts at the connectors, etc.) Drive for some 30 min to charge the battery, clean the codes and see if they come back when the battery is fully charged (as much as it is possible for a given battery).

And, by the way, a new part is not necessarily a good part. They can be bad right out of box. Your local Advance Autoparts can check the charging system and give you a printed report for free.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived