CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 DTS or 2002 STS

I'm trying to decide which one to go with. I haven't seen either one yet, but I'm going to go see the 03 DTS next weekend. Miles mean nothing to me. As long as it has been maintained, I'm fine with it. I'm going to bring a combustion gas in coolant tester along when I check these out. I have a whole list of things that I will be checking while I'm there. I'm mostly concerned with engine or transmission issues. Anything else, I'm not too worried about. I really don't want to get the dreaded P0741 since 75% of my caddys have had that. The thing that worrys me about the DTS is that it is from a large city and I'm sure there was a lot of stop and go driving. Also, the price seems a bit low since it books for over $10k.

Tell me what you guys think, which one would you go with? I LOVE the navigation on these things, but I wouldn't mine buying a used one and putting it in if I get the 02 STS. I don't plan on getting rid of my 99 Deville, I just want a second one so that my wife has a newer Caddy to drive. She doesn't like driving the Sixty Special too much. ;):P

03 DTS

02 STS

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Two different cars. You'll have to see and drive them to see which you like best. Actually they are pretty similar in drivetrains and rides, but the DTS is larger (my personal choice as I had an SLS, butit was just too small for my liking and went back to the DHS).

Sorry about the links Jim!

2002 Seville STS

2003 Deville DTS

I've had an 02 STS before and I've had a 00 DTS so I've driven both before. I had the magnaride (F55) in the STS and didn't like the ride. I haven't driven one with the F45 suspension, but I would hope it rides like the DTS did because I LOVED the ride of the DTS.

As for looks, I prefer the Seville over the Deville because it looks a little sportier. But I love the room of the Deville. Some of the interior features of the Deville look more modern/fancier too. For instance, the handles.

One thing that may push me more towards the Seville is that it comes with a short warranty through the dealer.

Could you guys take a look at the links and let me know what you think about them? Thanks!

-Dusty-

You asked for opinions... :) :)

Just based on the pics and specs... and assuming the body and interior are in about the same condition..

I would lean pretty strongly towards the Deville DTS

It is one year newer.

It has 65,000 "LESS MILES"

It is bigger.. (I like big) :)

And being a DTS, it should give you a real good combination of smoother ride and still have decent handling.

and that's MY opinion...:)

Posted Image

I agree with Texas Jim's assesment.

I would prefer the DTS too, but there are a few things that are holding me off at this moment.

1. Why is it $3000 under book? Could be because he needs to get rid of it or it could be he's trying to hide something and get rid of it quick.

2. It's private party, not a dealer. The STS comes with a little bit of a warranty, so that makes me feel a little better about it, you know? I know both private party and dealers can hide things, but I feel strangely safer with a dealer.

3. It's located right in the middle of 2 big cities, so I know it's got a lot of city driving on it. And we all know that 100,000 miles city driving is probably going to be in worse shape than 160,000 highway miles, especially in a northern state (all depending on who was taking care of it). However, I have no way of knowing if the STS is highway either.

The year difference doesn't really bother me because they should be about the same. I don't think there was any changes from 02-03 except the 03 STS got magnaride standard, but I'm not looking at an 03 STS, so that's irrelevant. ^_^

What about gas mileage? With the DTS get much worse? How much more does it weigh? I do like the all LED back end, that's pretty neat. When did they get blinkers in their mirrors? Was that 2004?

I really like the gold series on the 03 also. I do remember my 2000 DTS seats being way more comfortable then my 02 STS. And I do LOVE the navigation...

Any other thoughts I should take into consideration?

-Dusty-

Both of the cars you are looking at are VIN 9 cars.

The gas mileage is going to be real similar in both cars.

If I remember... you drive real slow... so I would guess, that the mileage would be around 25/26 for you...

As for the one being 3K below book...

Maybe he don't really know what it's worth...which would be great for you

Maybe he just wants to get rid of it...maybe he has several other cars and just don't need it anymore..

or maybe it has an underlying problem... which will be very BAD for you.

You won't know till you go check it out REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Posted Image

'Practically speaking' I think you need to go with the DTS, but I sure like the style of the STS (a whole lot more). Tough call for me (if it were a second car I think I would give the nod to the STS, if primary mode of transportation; then probably the DTS).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

It will be our second vehicle, but it will be my primary mode of transportation. The 99 will go to my wife to drive back and forth to work. I'm starting to lean more towards the DTS now.

I just called Steve (the guy with the DTS) and found out a little bit about it. It was originally owned by his bank president and then it went to his dad and then he died and now his mother-in-law has it and he is selling it for her. So he said he kind of knows the history on the car. He said his mother-in-law is very picky and takes it to the dealership for every little thing and gets it serviced every 3000 miles. The fuel pump was just replaced he said. He is going to be out of town next weekend so it won't work to see it then, but he said he'll pull the codes for me tonight, which is very nice of him. He doesn't know how, so I have to walk him through it over the phone. I haven't checked the codes on that body-style in about 3 years. Is it info and the up arrow that you hold together?

The only thing he said was wrong with it is that it is missing the navigation disk. I'm guessing that will be about $160 or so off of eBay. I'm not too upset about that, because I'll just use my external GPS anyway.

Sounds like it should be a good car. It's too bad I won't be able to see it for a while.

-Dusty-

Both of the cars you are looking at are VIN 9 cars.

The gas mileage is going to be real similar in both cars.

If I remember... you drive real slow... so I would guess, that the mileage would be around 25/26 for you...

As for the one being 3K below book...

Maybe he don't really know what it's worth...which would be great for you

Maybe he just wants to get rid of it...maybe he has several other cars and just don't need it anymore..

or maybe it has an underlying problem... which will be very BAD for you.

You won't know till you go check it out REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Yeppers, I drive pretty slow. Usually lower 60s. Sometimes I'll get wound up and drive a whopping 67 MPH! :D

I guess what I was concerned about for gas mileage was just the difference between the 2. The only VIN 9 car that I have owned (with a working lock-up torque converter) got about 26 going 70, so I might even get better than 26 going slower. That is if the torque converter locks up. I have horrible luck with that.

I hope you're right about him being below book that much just because they need to get rid of it. After talking to him for a bit, I'm thinking that's the case.

I also forgot to mention that the dealer with the STS said he'd go down to $4995. So I'm looking at about a $2500 difference too. However, I never asked how much the guy with the DTS would go down.

-Dusty-

....I haven't checked the codes on that body-style in about 3 years. Is it info and the up arrow that you hold together?

Here's how (I'm sending you to another board because these instruction are easier to find over there);

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/172511-how-pull-codes-98-04-sevilles.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Okie dokie, I got the codes from him and there was barely anything at all. The only current one was IRC B2463 which says the GPS disk is not inserted. Well...duh! There were a couple of B1327s a B3832 and a B1009. All were history except for the B2463. No PCM codes at all. I was pretty happy with that. He sent me a bunch of pictures. I'm going to upload them to my site here in a bit so you guys can get a closer look.

On the other hand, the guy with the 02 STS said he'd go to $4750, which is making me think quite a bit. I'm paying cash for this car and I don't really want to overspend myself. I buy and sell very ofter (I keep a car 1 or 2 years usually).

-Dusty-

Is anyone able to pull the options from the VIN? I'm looking to see all the otpions on this STS: 1G6KY54902U175306.

Thanks!

-Dusty-

The only way to know how that STS is equiped (built) is to list the RPO codes from the sticker on the bottom surface of the spare tire cover. Better yet, take a high pixel count picture.

Tha absolute *best* code to find there is F55 which is Magneride suspension.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The only way to know how that STS is equiped (built) is to list the RPO codes from the sticker on the bottom surface of the spare tire cover. Better yet, take a high pixel count picture.

I just ran his VIN number

It has this...F45CHASSIS CONTINUOUS VALVE REAL TIME DAMPING REAL TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F45)

Posted Image

Good reminder - I have that page bookmarked but I use it so seldom.... you probably know the rest of the story!!! Memory is the 2nd thing to fail.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Good reminder - I have that page bookmarked but I use it so seldom.... you probably know the rest of the story!!! Memory is the 2nd thing to fail.

But I can never remember what the other ones are/were... :)

Posted Image

I just ran his VIN number

It has this...F45CHASSIS CONTINUOUS VALVE REAL TIME DAMPING REAL TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F45)

Oh thank goodness. I would prefer the F45. I really disliked the way the F55 magneride ride on my last 02 STS. And the struts were extremely expensive. Both of the rear struts went out and they were $800 a piece. No thank you! I like the "softer" ride of the F45. I think it's a nice mix. Just enough handling with a smooth ride.

PS: Thanks for the link!

-Dusty-

I've been talking with the guy on the 02 Seville STS and he said there is a service suspension code. I asked if he could pull the codes and he said it was this code: CO589. I'm assuming the struts will probably have to be replaced. I replaced them on my other 02 STS and it's pretty easy to do, but what is the price of struts for the F45. Anyone know off-hand?

The 03 DTS sold I believe because the listing was removed. Another 02 STS popped up and it's black with 40k less miles, but no one has gotten back to me on it. Black 02 STS

I love black, but it's such a pain if it hasn't been taken care of properly. I hope to get something within the next month, but we'll see.

-Dusty-

Anyone have that C0589 code before?

-Dusty-

C0589 - Left Rear Solenoid Circuit Open

It might not be the solenoid valve in the shock that has failed; chassis wire harness damage is another possibility.

And I agree the struts are not difficult to replace. But I have no experience with changing the shocks on these car.

Have you double checked the RPO code list?? That '02 could have either F45 or F55 suspension.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

C0589 - Left Rear Solenoid Circuit Open

It might not be the solenoid valve in the shock that has failed; chassis wire harness damage is another possibility.

And I agree the struts are not difficult to replace. But I have no experience with changing the shocks on these car.

Have you double checked the RPO code list?? That '02 could have either F45 or F55 suspension.

Yep, it's got the F45 suspension. So the rear shocks/struts should be fairly inexpensive I would assume. Nothing like the F55 magnaride shocks/struts. Wowza! Those are spendy!

-Dusty-

Archived