CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2 problems

rockfangd

Hello all I have 2 issues that I dont know if are related,

1. parking brake will not release automatically, I always have to have to fiddle for the hidden release.

2. I had no issues over the summer but I would really like to get the heat to come out of my dash vents once my car is warmed up, My windows are fully defrosted but I would like to feel direct heat, Dont get me wrongg the car gets hot but I like my vents.

reason whyI ask if it may be related is because I think I remember hearing about a vacumn line that is shared for both.

1996 Cadillac Deville.

There may possiblybe nothing wrong with the HVAC but I felt it was worth asking.

TThanks all

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sounds like a vacuum hose off somewhere under the dashboard, probably on the passenger side.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hello all I have 2 issues that I dont know if are related,

1. parking brake will not release automatically, I always have to have to fiddle for the hidden release.

2. I had no issues over the summer but I would really like to get the heat to come out of my dash vents once my car is warmed up, My windows are fully defrosted but I would like to feel direct heat, Dont get me wrongg the car gets hot but I like my vents.

reason whyI ask if it may be related is because I think I remember hearing about a vacumn line that is shared for both.

1996 Cadillac Deville.

There may possiblybe nothing wrong with the HVAC but I felt it was worth asking.

TThanks all

on the older cars I know there were 2 vacuum lines that came through the firewall behind the passenger wheel well and went to the engine to get vacuum. I would think there is more of a chance of a broken vacuum line or leaking line somewhere in the engine compartment that is related to those HVAC lines.

The parking brake thing I have heard to lubricate them well. Just getting a flashlight and crawling under the dash you can study how they work and see why it is not releasing when you put the car in gear.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

You have a vacuum leak - follow the line that runs from the firewall, under the battery tray to the vacuum tank - that one seems to leak frequently. You might want to test the parking brake release solenoid with a handheld vacuum pump to see if it holds vacuum.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yeah, check the parking brake vacuum diaphragm first. That's the usual culprit.

As for the dash vents, forget it. Pre 2000 Devilles have no mode control. Heat comes from the floor and cooling from the vents.

thats BS if you ask me. does my 97 SLS have it? it has dual zone climate cntrol..

I believe i read somewhere that if the twilight sensor shows daytime and the temp is in a particular range it does switch to vents, but very rarely.

The vacumn line i will look for. I kind of doubt it is inside the car because it is silent inside, you can literally hear a pin drop lol. No erratic idle or any other issus if possibly even related to this kind of a vacumn leak.

Thanks all for the speedy responses

GM FAN FOREVER

I wonder if theres a control box swap you can do. In my fleetwood I put in the buick roadmaster controls. The mounting brackets are different but its the same size and same electrical plug in. It has all the features the fleetwood one does so you lose nothing but you gain control over where the heat/cold comes out. The fleetwood heat only came out of a small vent by the windshield, it took forever to warm up in there! With the roadmaster controls I can shoot the heat out the 4 vents to heat my hands and the whole car faster.

So I wonder if a buick Lesabre or something would swap in?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

thats BS if you ask me. does my 97 SLS have it? it has dual zone climate cntrol..

I believe i read somewhere that if the twilight sensor shows daytime and the temp is in a particular range it does switch to vents, but very rarely.

That is NOT BS. Devilles and Sevilles are two different animals. The Seville DOES have a mode control so you CAN get heat from the vents. Not so on the pre-2000 Devilles. Heat comes from the floor and cooling from the dash vents, period. Twilight sensor has nothing at all to do with it. It serves the headlights only and has nothing to do with the HVAC system. You may be confusing it with the sun load sensor, but that has nothing to do with mode control. It's for A/C only.

That is NOT BS. Devilles and Sevilles are two different animals. The Seville DOES have a mode control so you CAN get heat from the vents. Not so on the pre-2000 Devilles. Heat comes from the floor and cooling from the dash vents, period. Twilight sensor has nothing at all to do with it. It serves the headlights only and has nothing to do with the HVAC system. You may be confusing it with the sun load sensor, but that has nothing to do with mode control. It's for A/C only.

Thank you you are correct. I thought I remember my 96 eldorado having the vent option and the seville uses the sme type of system, I also like how the seville and eldo have forced air for the back seat

GM FAN FOREVER

My '03 DHS has forced air to the back seat as well, but I can't recall if my '97 did or not. That may have been added in the 2000 redesign when they got the mode control.

My 1997 Eldorado has a vent with its own fan for the back seat on the rear of the console. I'm sure the Seville does too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My 1997 Eldorado has a vent with its own fan for the back seat on the rear of the console. I'm sure the Seville does too.

any floor shift model got forced air with a fan for the rear

GM FAN FOREVER

2000+ changed very drastically with the 40/40. with jump seat setup. To me quite the update but personally I cant part with the 90s style

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived