CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Valves tapping!

unc25

Ok well the car sat for about a day or two without any start up, I started it up and let it warm up before driving off to work aand then I drove home and everything was fine, this morning (67 degrees) I started the car up and it ticked a little and then went away, well today I start the thing up to come home and its about 85 degrees now and the thing is ticking like a dang diesel!!!! What the heck! What can I do to get rid of this? This is crazy, just out of nowhere the thing starts ticking!!!

Does the ticking go away after 30 seconds or so? If so, it is "cold carbon rap". Carbon build up on the head that comes in contact with the piston at TDC causing the piston to rock on the wrist pin which then causes the skirt to contact the cylinder wall aka "piston slap". Harmless but annoying. A couple doses of WOT should cure it.

Alright, well I checked the oil and it looked fine. I then took the oil cap off and it had this white clearish gunk on it. WTH! It looks like there is water in there. I dont know how, but thats what it looks like. I am gonna take it tomorrow and have the oil drained and filled abck again. I am not to sure what the correct (OEM) oil would be though. Its a 1992 STS with the 4.9l. I have the owners manual still, so would it be in there?

Thanx guys.

Your owner's manual will definitely tell you what oil to use. The oil filler cap will probably also tell you. (If you suspect water in the oil, I would hold off on WOT's until you get that resolved.)

Good luck!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I am pretty sure thats what I used. It still baffles hell out of me how oil got in there....if in fact that is oil. All I know is its not running rougher, just a nice tapping coming from the rear valve cover. Right by the Alt. Just out of nowhere! Man I really have zero luck when it comes to cars.

What kind of driving do you normally do? If you make many short trips, your engine will not get warm enough to drive off the moisture in the block. This can be a cumulative effect too, meaning that if you have not had your oil changed in say, a year, the moisture may show up. It may also point to serious internal engine damage, such as a leaking head gasket. Is the water level in your coolant resevoir up to its normal level?

As a rule of thumb, it take a minimum of 20 minutes running time to drive off the moisture from one cold start. Now, I wouldn't call the ambients you are describing as cold, but with the high humidity levels, who knows. Nor did I read where you live. If the answer is FL, well, things are just wet down there right now. So too in many other parts of the east coast.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a 4.9. My previous post does not apply. It sounds like coolant in the oil. Keep a close watch on your coolant level. moisture on the cap means there is moisture in the oil that is being evaporated. If it is whitish, it is mixing with oil.

Unfortunately, it may be too late now, but do you know when the last time it was the coolant was changed? Unfortunately, that car is old enough to have the silicated coolant, which means it needed to have been replaced every few years to keep the corrosion inhibitors fresh. I bet it's never been done. Used cars with aluminum engines with green coolant can be problematic if regular maintenance hasn't been performed.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Man I really have zero luck when it comes to cars.

:D well it means you have some extra luck when it comes to something more important :D

Do not jump to conclusion. 4.9 motor is much less vulnerable to cooling related issues than, say the Northstar. I saw some whitish stuff on the deepstick but it was gone and I never saw it again. I would drain and refill the cooling system with green Prestone and thre tubes of Bars Leaks gold.

Ticking noise may be really something easy - get the highway for spirited driving, and the noise will decrease. Mine has been doing that for four years it in the winter, then it goes away as soon the engine gets some 100 degres hot.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

On a 4.9, the most likely source of coolant intrusion is corrosion of the intake manifold gasket around the coolant passages. I'd add a can of GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement).

Ok well here is anothe observation of the infamous ticker....

Well I went to a buddy's house and he said check the oil so I did and he looked at it and said wow thats really clean! Almost like brand new. So he thought for a second and said, "How has the engine temp been?" Well since Yesterday I noticed the Engine Temp reaching 234 very often where as before is barely got above 210 on the hwy. So he thought some more and took the oil cap off and asked me to start the engine, so I did and he stared and looked and then told me to turn it off. Well, it looks like there is ZERO oil getting to the lifters and rockers. None! He thinks the oil pump must have gone out.

But wouldnt the Service Engine Soon light have come on if so? Just doesnt seem right.

How much is this going to run me? and does this sound right?

P.S.- When I first got the car, I had the radiator replaced and the engine was flushed of all the coolant and then filled back.

I just want to get my money back out of the caddy thats it just $700 and Ill happily hand the title and the keys over. I hate to spend more money on it and never get it back out!

Archived