CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Plugs and plug wires

navion

I was wondering if anyone has opinions between OEM plugs and wires (A/C Delco) and aftermarket.

I have always used A/C Delco and had great luck with them. :)

Any preferences out there?

Thanks,

Britt

1994 SLS Northstar

Britt

OEM only for me (when I need them, if ever). Original factory installed plugs / wires still doing the job at 132,800 miles.

Just one opinion.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Delco plugs but Napa Premium wires.... let me explain: I bought a new set of Delco wires to replace the old set and noticed that they were slightly thinner. I double checked the part number and also the guy behind the counter just to be sure. A little stumbling and a bit too much arcing. So I drive over and let my mech have a look. He noticed the new wires and says "ya know, they don't make those delco wires like they used to.... I bet your old wires are thicker." I was mildly stunned at his observation. Long story short i pick up some fat napa premiums and problems solved. :blink:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Very good quesiton. I had a tune up at around 110000 miles. Shop said they put in new wires but at 155000 car was running rough, inspected usual stuff like phenolic spacers (cleaned), plugs (new on tune up), EGR (new), cleaned throttle body, etc. Changed to Bosch and the car ran like new. At 168000 miles, car running rough again, returned Bosch for replacement (lifetime warranty) car runs great again. After saying this, I'm an not sure what is best, if in fact the shop replaced the plug wires with new wires, which were AC Delco, then those went bad very early, as did the Bosch. I do like the fact that the Bosch are a lot less expensive and have a lifetime warranty. I guess in the next few thousand miles I will find out if in fact it is the wires or something else. Vehicle currently has 173,000.

If you want the best wires, go for the Magnecor brand. They are the only aftermarket wires approved by this forum to be as good or better than stock. I have the 8.5mm CN series on my car and have no complaints at all.

For a moment there I thought I had signed on to the Yugo board. . .All these recommendations for changing wires. But then a lot of the screen names are new to me so maybe they haven't been here long enough to get the benifit of bbobynski's knowledge. Shame he doesn't post here as much lately.

The inside story here is that the OEM wires are a life of the car item that you only replace if you have to troubleshoot an experienced problem. Same for the dual platinum plugs. If you get a plug problem you buy just one and replace the defective one. That's why all the posts here of high mileage cars running the original plugs and wires, they know the inside story.

My car has 112,000 miles and I am replacing my plugs & wires this week with OEM. Altogether from the dealer for around $150 ($5.75/plug, $93 for wires). I could not believe that the dealer beat NAPA, A local parts guy, and Advance. I could have probably done better online but I did not want to wait. Always shop around.

But then a lot of the screen names are new to me so maybe they haven't been here long enough to get the benifit of bbobynski's knowledge. Shame he doesn't post here as much lately.

Maybe he is on vacation but no I have not seen him posting much lately. I think however he may have gotten discouraged as a few members have gone head to head with him over various issues. Personally if I were he I would have gotten discouraged a long time ago. Members have even doubted his credentials, experience and legitimacy. Hopefully he is just taking a break and has not turned his back on this board. Search bbobynski for the CORRECT information on ANY issue....as least his knowledge is still here.

>"If you want the best wires, go for the Magnecor brand. They are the only aftermarket wires approved by this forum to be as good or better than stock."<

?????????????

Ben, I've been hanging around and participating on this and the old forum for what Bruce four-five years now, and although there may have been an opinion or two, I don't remember a consensus here ever approving any any ignition wires except OEM AC Delco. (Please everyone, correct me if I'm wrong..)

That happens to be my experience as well. The best solution is factory OEM parts.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

139.000 miles. Original plugs and wires. Runs great.

I've almost got ya. 136,000 miles on original ignition. Actually, original EVERYTHING pretty much except alternator and A/C bearing. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

So I drive over and let my mech have a look. He noticed the new wires and says "ya know, they don't make those delco wires like they used to.... I bet your old wires are thicker."

Last weekend I decided to throw money and parts at the problem of a vibration at idle. Got a new set of Delco wires to go along with a new set of Delco plugs to replace a batch with missing platinum pads. I figured as long as I was going to sacrifice to the blood god to get to the back four I might as well replace the wires at the same time. I compared the new Delco wires to the Standards they replaced and to the original Delcos the Standards replaced. They are thinner.

FWIW

YMMV

But then a lot of the screen names are new to me so maybe they haven't been here long enough to get the benifit of bbobynski's knowledge. Shame he doesn't post here as much lately.

Maybe he is on vacation but no I have not seen him posting much lately. I think however he may have gotten discouraged as a few members have gone head to head with him over various issues. Personally if I were he I would have gotten discouraged a long time ago. Members have even doubted his credentials, experience and legitimacy. Hopefully he is just taking a break and has not turned his back on this board. Search bbobynski for the CORRECT information on ANY issue....as least his knowledge is still here.

A bit of history, vaguely recollected, and most certainly subject to correction.....

Some time back, Guru used to post under the name "Al". At some point there was what appeared to be some highschool boy troll who provoked him to the extent that he stopped posting. IIRC, it seems that Bruce sent the troll packing and "Al" was reincarnated as Guru, much to all our good fortune. It's possible Guru's departure is due to a shortage of time or that Cadillac is discouraging participation for their own reasons or that the board has become a bit boring to him with all the threads about mufflers and car waxes.

We have many other knowledgeable people on the board but it was nice to get info "straight from the source" so to speak. Hopefully Guru will make a return appearance.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

HA HA HA. He means mount it as in a rear wheel drive car, like he is doing....

That would make the odd numbered plugs much easier to deal with.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

139.000 miles. Original plugs and wires. Runs great.

adallak, The dual-tipped platinum plugs weren't used until the 1992 model year. If your 1991 plugs are original, they probably need changing. :)

adallak, The dual-tipped platinum plugs weren't used until the 1992 model year. If your 1991 plugs are original, they probably need changing. 

KevinW,

The motor runs as new, the fuel ecomomy is great, a lot of power, smooth idle... do I really need to look for trouble making changes? ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived