CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update On My New Yokohama Tires

Texas Jim

Howdy all.

Just thought I would give a quick update on the new Yokohama ADVAN S4 tires.

I LOVE 'EM.. :yupi3ti:

They are "V" rated with Traction "AA" and Temp "A"

Remember that they are the low profile 245x50x18 inch tires.

There is not much sidewall to absorb bumps and road imperfections.

BUT...Compared to the Bridge "STONES" that I had... they are smooth as silk and very, very quite.

The 'STONES were very noisy and very rough riding.

As y'all know... I have complained about them for 4 years. :) :)

If I had known how big of a difference there was... I would have done this a "LONG, LONG" time ago.

I just took a trip from Ft Worth to NE Texas... then up thru OK, Kansas, Nebraska and turned left in Nebraska and went to Cheyenne Wyoming.

From Cheyenne went S to Ft. Collins CO and had the tires rebalanced.

They had developed a pretty bad vibration at speeds over 85.

The guy in Ft Collins moved the right front to the right rear, because he said he couldn't balance it right.

I was unhappy with "THAT" diagnosis...as you might well imagine.

But the vibration was reduced by probably 95 percent.

From Ft Collins we went west thru the mountains and then S thru the mountains all the way to Northern New Mexico...then across the top on NM for a while, then angled down to Los Vegas NM and from there...back home to Ft. Worth.

Finally... yesterday I had time to take it back to my local Discount Tire dealer.

They road forced balanced all four tires. :)

Readings were 6, 8, 9 and 16.

Then I took it for a drive around the freeways at speeds between 65 and 90.

"NOW" they are smooth...just like they should be. :yupi3ti:

They also handle pretty good on crooked mountain roads.

Not quite as good as the "STONES" ... but very good, none the less.

They do have a small amount of sidewall rollover if you are pushing them hard...but after a certain point... the sidewall rollover just "STOPS"... they are then "VERY FIRM" (no give to 'em) and grip like crazy.

Modern engineering and technology is wonderful. :)

I really, really like them...so far.

We will see if they are still this good after another 10,000 miles.

I plan on 2 or 3 more trips between now and fall...one to the East Coast...so it won't take long to put a lot of miles on them.

This is probably longer than most people want to read...

Sorry about that...:)

Anybody have questions...feel free to ask...

Posted Image

Glad to hear it Jim

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Great you got that smoothed out. We need a new series called "Where in the World is Texas Jim?" along with some more color background on you road trips!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Great you got that smoothed out.

We need a new series called "Where in the World is Texas Jim?" along with some more color background on you road trips!

I would be happy to do write up's on my trips... If anyone would be interested in them.

I was unsure if anybody wanted to read about my trips...and didn't want to clutter up the forum with stuff no one was interested in...

I am not very good with posting pictures... I will need some help with "THAT PART"... :)

plus I don't usually take many pictures.

Reckon I could change my habits and take more pics... :)

Posted Image

Thanks for the update Jim. Those RF numbers are very good, as good as any set of Michelins I've ever had checked. How may of the tire assemblies did he have to redo to get the numbers down that low? Did he remount the 16# tire, or did he just call it "good enough" since it was below 25 pounds?

They don't make that tire in the '08 DTS size (235/55/17), or I'd be giving them a try.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks for the update Jim. Those RF numbers are very good, as good as any set of Michelins I've ever had checked. How may of the tire assemblies did he have to redo to get the numbers down that low? Did he remount the 16# tire, or did he just call it "good enough" since it was below 25 pounds?

They don't make that tire in the '08 DTS size (235/55/17), or I'd be giving them a try.

Oddly enough...they didn't have to remount any of them.

I thought that was real good numbers for not having to do anything to them.

I started to ask him to remount the 16# one...but didn't.

If I have any more issues with vibration... I know which one it is and I will have it remounted/turned to a different position on the wheel.

Sorry that they don't make them in your size.

I really like them... I wish now that I had done this 4 years ago. :)

Posted Image

my tires are 245/50-16. 2" smaller diameter but same sidewall. they would look like toy tires next to yours.

• 5 weeks later...

That tread design 'looks like' it would be noisy.

Actually I am very impressed with how QUITE is actually is.

It is "SO MUCH" quieter and smoother than the BridgeSTONES that I had on it, that it almost seems like a different car.

Posted Image

Archived