CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Proper Introduction

I was just sitting here thinking that I have been a member on this site for almost a week now, and I haven't given a proper introduction, so I thought I would take the time to do so.

My name is Carla. I'm 24 years old, and I live in Rome, NY. I've lived here my whole life. I have 3 beautiful kids. My oldest son is 6, my daughter is 3, and my youngest son is 9 months. I also have a wonderful boyfriend who is not at all jealous of the fact that I know more about cars than he does, lol. I don't know it all, and I will never pretend I do, but I know enough to easily learn what I don't. (not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me) I was accepted 2 years ago to Universal Technical Institute in Pennsylvania, but I was unable to go for financial reasons. I do however hope someday to be able to go. My father and my brother are both mechanics, which is probably what has brought my interest into the field.

My other hobbies consist of music, reading, writing, 4 wheeling, photography, and spending time with my kids and family. I play the drums, and I started learning to play guitar but I haven't had time for either of them in a while.

I am a very open-minded person, and am very easy to get along with. I try not to put anyone down because I realize that no two people are the same, thus no one should be criticized just for being different. I'm the hardest person in the world to embarrass, as I take nothing to heart. That's not to say I don't take anything seriously, I just know better than to let others bring me down or belittle me.

Well that's about all I can really think of to say right now. Any questions at all, feel free to ask. It's a pleasure getting to know everyone on here! =)

big4870885.jpg

Carla,

Howdy, and welcome to the board.

There are a great bunch of guys here...not counting myself of course. :D

You are doing an absolutely great job of explaining your problems and what you are doing to try to fix them.

If everyone could just stay focused like you do... :D:D

Don't get too frustrated with your car...the NorthStar is a sophisticated, High Performance engine.

When you get it running right...you will totally LOVE IT. I can almost guarantee that. :D

I will be getting a newer one in a year or two...and at this time, I plan on it being another NorthStar.

No engine I have ever had of this size gives such a combination of power and fuel economy at the same time.

It is a marvelous engine.

And the "SOUND" of it at full song...as you wind it up...is music to my ears. :D:D

I drive mine a little faster / harder than some of the other guys do...but with almost 75,000 miles on it...it has been totally flawless.

You mentioned in an earlier post...you were thinking of taking it out to "BLOW THE CARBON OUT"

There is actually a PROCEDURE for doing exactly that.

Most NorthStar's do not like to be babied around.

They need to be DRIVEN every once in a while.

Again...A great big WELCOME to you.

Hope you hang around for a long time.

Posted Image

Carla,

Howdy, and welcome to the board.

There are a great bunch of guys here...not counting myself of course. :D

You are doing an absolutely great job of explaining your problems and what you are doing to try to fix them.

If everyone could just stay focused like you do... :D:D

Don't get too frustrated with your car...the NorthStar is a sophisticated, High Performance engine.

When you get it running right...you will totally LOVE IT. I can almost guarantee that. :D

I will be getting a newer one in a year or two...and at this time, I plan on it being another NorthStar.

No engine I have ever had of this size gives such a combination of power and fuel economy at the same time.

It is a marvelous engine.

And the "SOUND" of it at full song...as you wind it up...is music to my ears. :D:D

I drive mine a little faster / harder than some of the other guys do...but with almost 75,000 miles on it...it has been totally flawless.

You mentioned in an earlier post...you were thinking of taking it out to "BLOW THE CARBON OUT"

There is actually a PROCEDURE for doing exactly that.

Most NorthStar's do not like to be babied around.

They need to be DRIVEN every once in a while.

Again...A great big WELCOME to you.

Hope you hang around for a long time.

Most people probably would be frustrated by now, and I think if it were any other car I have had in the past, I would be, but for some reason I seem to have all the patience in the world with this car. As far as getting it running right, it did run right when I first got it, and it was amazing! I found it amusing once when some punk kid in a big old pickup truck (probably his daddy's) thought he was going to cut me off at a merge...I let him get up by me (the speed limit was 45, we were both going about 55) then he started to pass me just a little, and as he neared the end of his lane and started to try to cut me off, I floored it and flew by him doing about 85. I made sure there was enough room behind me for him to move over first...I'm not a total jerk. I know what this car is capable of. Anything that can spin the tires when you floor it when you are already going 45 has something to say for itself! which is what makes me all the more sad to see it running so badly. :wipetears

A lot of the time I don't have much choice but to baby her though, as I live in the city and do most of my driving here. Maybe once I get her fixed I'll start taking her out for a weekly highway cruise...with a little extra oomph on the gas here and there.

I just want my poor car back in good running order...It's all I've been able to think about for days. It's depressing. I have confidence that all will be ok though. Everyone on here makes a good team, and you all have been more helpful than I would have ever expected. In the meantime, I've been checking out other posts on here, reading through the archives and such. There is indeed a lot of useful info on here. If nothing else, I figure maybe I can help someone else out while I am trying to get my car up and running again. =)

big4870885.jpg

:welcomesmiley:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

:welcomesmiley:

From your posts, you are certainly very literate and intelligent. I can see why with three children that going off from Rome NY to PA for school is a problem. If you get a scholarship once, you can probably do so again, so perhaps you could look closer to home.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

UTI in PA is the closest college that offers any "real" automotive courses. I have been looking into the Engineering courses they offer at SUNY IT, which is only a 20 minute drive from here, but I'm still not sure. My heart's been set in the automotive field for a long time....but Pennsylvania is pretty far away from home. I'm young, so I have plenty of time to decide. For now I'm just focused on raising my kids...and trying to get my car fixed, lol.

big4870885.jpg

Sam: :welcomesmiley:

You should start your own topic for your introduction. And, tell us what your connection is with engineperformancechip.com.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

UTI in PA is the closest college that offers any "real" automotive courses. I have been looking into the Engineering courses they offer at SUNY IT, which is only a 20 minute drive from here, but I'm still not sure. My heart's been set in the automotive field for a long time....but Pennsylvania is pretty far away from home. I'm young, so I have plenty of time to decide. For now I'm just focused on raising my kids...and trying to get my car fixed, lol.

Sometimes the best decision is the one that is made in a timely fashion. I suggest that you call UTI and ask what the procedure is to take courses at SUNY that will transfer credits should you be able to do that. And, check with both schools about what online courses are available. Young, yes, but the longer you wait the harder it gets to do it. Just solve the problems one at a time and keep moving forward and you will have success.

Archived