CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car Audio Cassette Tape Adapter FOR MP3 MP4 iPod Nano

adallak

Bought one of these adapters to connect my iPod to the head unit of my Fleetwood. Works great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Audio-Cassette-Tap...#ht_5853wt_1152

I use one of those in my 95 STS with a tapedeck, definitely works great.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

How is the sound quality compared with the CD sound quality?

You would not notice the difference.

Two things that you do have to watch out for: you don't want to overload it to the point that it causes clipping, and you cant take the level down so low that the Dolby interferes with it. Since it doesn't seem that you can turn the Dolby off on my 1995 SLS, I had to find just the right volume level, and it does vary a little bit by song. If the Dolby is interfering, you'll notice that some elements of familiar songs will seem off in volume level. There's a cutoff point under which almost nothing will get through, and you have to get all but the most quiet passages louder than that. The Dolby works great at reducing hiss on actual tapes, but it's a difficult thing to deal with using that adaptor.

How is the sound quality compared with the CD sound quality?

You would not notice the difference.

Two things that you do have to watch out for: you don't want to overload it to the point that it causes clipping, and you cant take the level down so low that the Dolby interferes with it. Since it doesn't seem that you can turn the Dolby off on my 1995 SLS, I had to find just the right volume level, and it does vary a little bit by song. If the Dolby is interfering, you'll notice that some elements of familiar songs will seem off in volume level. There's a cutoff point under which almost nothing will get through, and you have to get all but the most quiet passages louder than that. The Dolby works great at reducing hiss on actual tapes, but it's a difficult thing to deal with using that adaptor.

I just keep the volume of the iPod in the middle of its range, and it seems to be okay. Not perfect but definitely better than nothing. :) Finally, the adapter is just a few bucks, well worth to try.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have used one of these the sound quality is just adequate, but that was with my 96 head unit, which has poor high end, but its a good method to play your mp3 player without a lot of problems

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ive tried a few different FM transmitters and all have some sort of engine noise, more in some cars than others, sound quality was there but if you have your music low you will hear the hissing. Plus theyre so cheaply made they give out after a month or 2.

I also have one of the $2 tape adapters i got on ebay. Theres a reason theyre $2 on ebay and $20 at radio shack. In my 2000 dts it spits it out every once and awhile, for some reason it doesnt like it much, but it sounds great and is much easier than fooling with radio stations and all kinds of cords to hook up the FM transmitters. Buddy of mine has a 03 tahoe and his spit out the cheapy cassettes alot too I dont know what it is.

So far the CD player in my 96 Fleet works perfectly so I havent HAD to use it in there yet but to hook up my MP3 I will need to eventually.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Ive tried a few different FM transmitters and all have some sort of engine noise, more in some cars than others, sound quality was there but if you have your music low you will hear the hissing. Plus theyre so cheaply made they give out after a month or 2.

I also have one of the $2 tape adapters i got on ebay. Theres a reason theyre $2 on ebay and $20 at radio shack. In my 2000 dts it spits it out every once and awhile, for some reason it doesnt like it much, but it sounds great and is much easier than fooling with radio stations and all kinds of cords to hook up the FM transmitters. Buddy of mine has a 03 tahoe and his spit out the cheapy cassettes alot too I dont know what it is.

So far the CD player in my 96 Fleet works perfectly so I havent HAD to use it in there yet but to hook up my MP3 I will need to eventually.

Not sure if it also helps with sound quality by removing the hiss that might be generated by the cassette motor, but here is the procedure:

turn the radio off

hold the source button down for ~3 seconds (the radio will beep, and the cassette icon will flash 3 times)

this will turn off the cassette motor, and tell the radio not to spit out tape adapters.

insert the cassette adapter (if it used to eject, it will not now)

as soon as the eject button is hit, it will resume to normal cassette operation.

you might want to check the owners manual, because each year/model can be different. I'm sure every GM radio has something like this.

Not sure if it also helps with sound quality by removing the hiss that might be generated by the cassette motor, but here is the procedure:

turn the radio off

hold the source button down for ~3 seconds (the radio will beep, and the cassette icon will flash 3 times)

this will turn off the cassette motor, and tell the radio not to spit out tape adapters.

insert the cassette adapter (if it used to eject, it will not now)

as soon as the eject button is hit, it will resume to normal cassette operation.

you might want to check the owners manual, because each year/model can be different. I'm sure every GM radio has something like this.

very interesting, ive never heard that! That may work for spitting it out, but the hiss is from the transmitter thingys, they dont use a cassette, and the cassette itself doesnt cause a hiss, they sound very nice.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I have used one of these the sound quality is just adequate, but that was with my 96 head unit, which has poor high end, but its a good method to play your mp3 player without a lot of problems

I have to turn the bass down on the head unit, and then it sounds pretty nice.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived