CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wheel bearing question

manowar77

Hello everyone!

I think my right front wheel bearing is "going south" as you say:) I replaced the left front wheel bearing 2 years ago when the car had around 125.000 miles on it!

It was some slack in it back then so i replaced it, no slack in the right bearing at that time!

Now,the car has around 140.000 miles and i suspect the right bearing need replacement.

Im gonna jack the front up soon and check the right front tire for slacks!

But i wonder if the rear bearings need replacent often? I searched this forum for rear wheel bearing replacements but i nearly didnt find any info about it!

They are more expensive then the front ones so its maybe built to last longer!

Am i right? Or do they fail also sometimes?

Roger

Roger Martinsen

....But i wonder if the rear bearings need replacent often? I searched this forum for rear wheel bearing replacements but i nearly didnt find any info about it!

Going on memory here, but I would estimate that 90% of the rear bearing replacements I have read about here and on another well-populated Cadillac board have been because of wheel speed sensor failure.

FWIW, I have not experienced any wheel bearing (or wheel speed sensor) problems in 190,000+ miles.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The rears do last longer. Maybe it is because they are not subjected to the powertrain load like the front bearings are. That said, I did have a rear bearing go bad at 180,000 miles on an '86 Park Avenue I used to have. The fronts were fine but one of the back bearings was growling.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

86 Park Avenue....Buick,right?

Ok, i will also check the rear bearings, but likely its the right front that need replacement!

It started, all of a sudden to make a kind of bearing wining sound the other day...just out of nowhere!

I read another post on this board from Jan Olsson that seemed to be the same problem, with a wining sound that just started from nowhere and that was one of the front bearings!

Thanks for the info, guys!

Roger Martinsen

I checked the right front today and it had a slack and felt rough when turning it around,so i ordered a new hub bearing today from Rockauto!

All other wheels were fine!

I replaced the left front bearing 2 years ago, but i do have some questions for you.

1. If i dont remember wrong, the caliper is fastened with 2 bolts,but i dont remember what kind of bolt...10 mm regular bolt or something else? Size?

2. Also the hub is fastened with torex bolts i think...what size?

I have the 34mm socket and im gonna buy a 3 armed puller!

Regards Roger

Roger Martinsen

Roger,

The caliper bolts should be 3/8" allen (socket head cap screws) and the hub bolts are either T-55 or T-60 torx but I can't remember the exact torx size.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Update!

I replaced right front wheel bearing today and the wining noise is gone! The old bearing was stuck in place because of rust and after using a big hammer and a crowbar it finally came loose!

Now the car runs fine without any noise!

Roger

post-4452-1263060632_thumb.jpg

post-4452-1263060657_thumb.jpg

post-4452-1263060665_thumb.jpg

post-4452-1263060670_thumb.jpg

Roger Martinsen

Archived