CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rust Protection

adallak

The underbody of the car is rast at some places pretty bad. What can I do about it besides removing the rust with a wire brush? Any good stuff to covere with/

Thanks in advance.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The old fashioned way to deal with rust was to cut out the rusted area and weld in a new piece of metal in its place. Some people have succeeded at rust proofing the bottom of their vehicles by the careful application of hot tar and from what I understand, it lasts but I'm sure there are newer materials that can be used for this as well.

In all honesty, I would consult with a professional auto body shop. They would know best how to deal with rust.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Loc-Tite make a product called "Extend". Comes in a brown bottle. It is a white creamy liquid that you just paint on the rust. I think it is a polymer coating that turns black and seals the rust. It seems to work pretty well.

P.O.R. 15 (Paint Over Rust) works OK. Don't get it on you and let it dry. I mixed some up with a big spike. You can hit the spike with a hammer. It will deform the spike but the POR15 stays put. I wouldn't paint it on fittings.

rek

Loc-Tite make a product called "Extend". Comes in a brown bottle. It is a white creamy liquid that you just paint on the rust. I think it is a polymer coating that turns black and seals the rust. It seems to work pretty well.

Larry, have you tried Extend? If so what are your thoughts on the stuff..... fairly easy to apply? I've heard about it and thought I might give it a whirl. Thanks.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Larry, have you tried Extend? If so what are your thoughts on the stuff..... fairly easy to apply? I've heard about it and thought I might give it a whirl. Thanks.

-kg

Yes, I have a bottle of it sitting on my work bench. Very easy to apply, just paint it on and let it dry. Seems to work as advertized.

The "extend" type products are in a family of poly-phosphonates that polymerize the oxidized metal, or basically bind it in a matrix (neat stuff really). Some of the instructions may even note that it will bond better if the metal is lightly rusted, instead of bare-shiney metal. however, there will be a problem if the liquid can not get to all the rust (if it is in layers). This material will harden and can be coated later on, but do not expect it to have a decent finish by itself.

Be carefull in handling (eyes & skin protection required) and where you paint this material (will damage good paint). Because of the phosphoric acid content, they are typically low pH (acidic) and are made to react (with a lot of things). In particular, I'd be real carefull to avoid certain thin, alloy metals, bearings and wire junctures. The rust may be the least of your problems. :(

Even after using this material, I would follow-up with some of the spray under-coating products for impact protection, sound deadening and another sealant over the coating (which was not designed as a forever top-coat).

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Even after using this material, I would follow-up with some of the spray under-coating products for impact protection, sound deadening and another sealant over the coating (which was not designed as a forever top-coat).

Good luck :)

Thanks for getting back to me Larry. And TDK I appreciate the detailed info. I'm looking to apply it on the passenger side post, uppercorner of the windshield. I've been noticing that others have been getting rust there as well. A little touch-up paint over it after and hopefully she'll look fine. I'll need to get a hold of a small piece of winshield molding as well. Seems the molding has shrunk over the years.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I'm going with the POR, It's on the web Paint over rust! It works like it says it does. I have a restore shop near here and they say they use it. I painted a radiator (Cast Iron) with it a few years ago and it looks like new! It even filled in 14 years of pitting! All I did was wire brush, and follow directioons to a T. You have to wipe with thinnner, then remove all moisure with a heat gun ot torch. That is the key, because it sucks all the moisture out of the pores of the metal and there is no moisture left to rust it. The POR seals it out! You DO have to paint over the POR I used some Rustoleium. It really really did work and I plan on ordering a gallon! I got the black six pack. Remember you will be painting over it anyways so it don't really latter the color.

MC

Has anyone tried Rust Bullet? It says it's a 1 step process.. well, 2 step if you do a 2nd coat once the first one dries. But still VERY easy to do so it says. I want to try it but haven't had the $ to buy a can..

Archived