CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tech2

^Tom^

hi all

i found a tech2 from china at ebay number 150379254140.

what you think about it?

feedbacks not to bad....exept one sound bad bad

tom

ps: i just think it is good to have a tech2 in case....

Run away. $2100 for a China knock off? That's like buying a Rolex knockoff for the price of a real one.

GM went bankrupt.

Over the next year or so, as 2000 GM dealers close their doors, GM Tech 2's should become very plentiful and cheap.

You can buy a real Tech 2 today for $2300.

There is also a latter add on CANDI unit.

There are several versions. The early units were HP with Vetronix software. Then Vetronix bought out the HP production line. Then...Bosch bought out Vetronix.

So there are HP versions, Vetronix versions, and Bosch versions.

I should also add....there are GM logo versions....Saturn logo versions....Saab logo versions..OTC and MacTool logo versions. All are the same basic tool. Look for 32 mb card. Also try to get the CANDI unit. 10 mb cards are obsolite.

They are IMO overpriced right now on eBay. Wait a few months and there will be some bargains as the dealers begin to shut down. Be sure to search for 'Saturn Tech 2' versions being Penske deal went sour last week...watch for those.

I bet in 6 months, you'll be able to buy a complete GM Tech 2 kit with Candi for under $1k. There is going to be a flood of them..

It'll be like Hannah Montana tickets in Vegas...too many tickets available. .99 cent tickets everywhere.

Thanks for that info Logan, that is good to know

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

With all of the GM and Cadillac dealers that are shutting down in the next 10 months.. the market should soon be awash with second hand TechIIs

I've got a couple of feelers out with "on the edge" dealers in my neck of the woods...

I'm hoping to score a second hand one with all of the latest GM software for around $500.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I have to pursue this....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

thanks for all the informations and tipps.

anyway i let stay my cadi over the winter without driving, so i have enough time to wait a few months and will see if can get one for below 1K.

sice 30 years i ever repaired all by my self, but the 99 seville will maybe not going without a tech2.

read codes will maybe not enough.......thats why i was thinking about to have a tech2.

and still i have not more then 8.5K miles on my cadi so it should drive first couple miles without to need a tech2

everytime i buy i new car i am think about something else can go wrong......

tom

If it helps with the pursuit... Here is a list of all of the Caddy and Chevy Dealers that are being shut down...

Sorry American List only... For Canadian's you have to use your own contacts...

List of American GM dealers who are on the bubble

caddy.jpg

Greg

This would be a nice thing to have for under $1K. Hard to understand why these cost so much, other than the small market for a custom tool.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

is there a way to do conect it with a computer/software and save the money for a tech2?

(maybe some answer ar not allowed here about forum rules, if so please write my private)

thanks tom

is there a way to do conect it with a computer/software and save the money for a tech2?

(maybe some answer ar not allowed here about forum rules, if so please write my private)

thanks tom

No. I have pitched this very idea to LOTS of so called Cadillac performace shops... you know the ones that sell wheels, tires and grills and they all say... "Why would anyone want that"

No such application exists.

caddy.jpg

Greg

this sound not so good!

in the US you can buy software for VW at:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

for only $99 (the software only), install them to your computer, hook up the interface an go.

i don't think there running more VW/Audi then GM cars on the US-streets.

maybe it will comming now, when onboard diagnostic is missing in the newer car.

tom

The Tech II is unique in terms of the level of vehicle control.

You can certainly get a CAN bus to USB connection for your laptop, and software to allow you to scan codes, monitor systems in real time, etc. I have a setup like that for my 05 CTS.

here is a link to something similar: [link]

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The Tech II is unique in terms of the level of vehicle control.

You can certainly get a CAN bus to USB connection for your laptop, and software to allow you to scan codes, monitor systems in real time, etc. I have a setup like that for my 05 CTS.

here is a link to something similar: [link]

mybe not a tech2 but a good chioce if you not hae a OBD to read out the values

so if i have (maybe) as second car a xlr it will help!

thanks

tom

Hmmm...seems many of the eBay ones are China fakes.

Found this on the Bosch site (Bosch bought out Vetronix) related to fake Bosch / Vetronix GM Tech 2's:

http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/Documents/...ductsNotice.pdf

That said, I am currently talking to one GM dealer group right now about buying all their Tech 2's. May have 3 or 4 used GM Tech 2's available in the next week or so. Maybe 6 more available by the end of the year.

We purchased some other tools from them already. (not Tech 2's). They have several dealers closing this week. 6 more by the end of the year.

Going good so far, we made an offer earlier today on a couple of Tech 2's, but I may have hurt some feelings. I don't think they realize their true situation. About to email another version of our side.

If I do get these units, I plan on offerering them here at our cost.

I feel $1000 per GM Tech 2 w/ Candi is going to be the number.

• 2 weeks later...
If I do get these units, I plan on offerering them here at our cost.

I feel $1000 per GM Tech 2 w/ Candi is going to be the number.

Still a little pricey...but getting there... When you get them let me know, if I don't buy one, my fleet manager at work probably will.

caddy.jpg

Greg

We bought 2 Tech2 units for $1100 from one dealer. One worked and one was inop. We ended up building 1 great GM version from the 2 units.

The scraps are on eBay.

• 1 month later...

now; i am done with it.

just received a used one from the USA.

difficult to say is it a genuine one or not (i do not know how i can see the diff), but looks good to me and is working even with TIS2000 and SPS.

the only problem now; there are not many (or none) forums for how to use tech2 or handle any VCI numbers in SPS

tom

There is a Tech 2 user guide book available. May be on the internet avail as a PDF.

I've used mine twice in the last 2 days. One time for our 2003 Saturn VUE 'service wrench' lamp on ..something to do with the daytime running lamps. Cleared that code and turned off the lamp. And on the 2001 Deville..the rear level control will not enable. Decided it was too cold to work on it today. But I now have some ideas on whats going on..

Years ago, we had a GM Tech 2. We sold that off as our company business changed. Back then, it seemed like a very fast tool. Now it feels very slow (think dial up days).

But you can get into GM systems no laptop software can do. IE being into RIM modules and calibrate the ride height.

The non working Tech 2 we parted out on eBay. Screen, cables, case, motherboard etc. Paid for both Tech 2's. We saved some parts for us..

On my STS the rear leveling system's failure was the first sign that the ignition switch was going south.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived