CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Install of Rear Shocks 2002 Deville DHS

mike33

Hello, I would like to install rear shocks on my 2002 Deville DHS, and I was wanting to do it myself. The service manual says I need to remove the wheels as a first step. Can I install these rear shocks without removing the rear wheels? I was thinking just back it up on my ramps?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

You won't be able to access the top nut of the shock unless you remove the wheel and tire assembly. What symptoms are you expierencing? It seems like the shocks should last longer - I still have the originals on my '97 STS and they are fine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You won't be able to access the top nut of the shock unless you remove the wheel and tire assembly. What symptoms are you expierencing? It seems like the shocks should last longer - I still have the originals on my '97 STS and they are fine.

Are you sure about the top nut? Looks to me like it is removed in the truck after pulling back trim. I had a leak in one of the air lines. Over a period of time water and shock fluid were mixed together and expelled due changes in pressure.

Are you sure about the top nut? Looks to me like it is removed in the truck after pulling back trim. I had a leak in one of the air lines. Over a period of time water and shock fluid were mixed together and expelled due changes in pressure.

I didn't know the top nut was inside the trunk on the 2000+ Devilles. If that is the case, you might be able to R&R the shock without removing the rear tire but it seems like the lower bolt would be difficult to access.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Why not just jack up the rear of the car, and rest the frame on something like a jack stand, why dont you want to take the wheel off?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My shocks are now installed. You can do ramps or remove the wheels with this car. Started with ramps then 3 out 4 of the 'Unuts' that secure the lower shock bolts broke due to age and road salt. So, then had to remove the wheels to get the bolts out.

Reasons to use ramps:

1. Safer and quicker.

2. Do not have to support the lower control arm with a jack.

Thanks to my fellow members for input and answers.

Mike

My shocks are now installed. You can do ramps or remove the wheels with this car. Started with ramps then 3 out 4 of the 'Unuts' that secure the lower shock bolts broke due to age and road salt. So, then had to remove the wheels to get the bolts out.

Reasons to use ramps:

1. Safer and quicker.

Mike

Im just curious what rear shocks you installed. Did you get a set of factory air shocks or go with regular shocks and resistors to keep the dash light out?

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

Reasons to use ramps:

1. Safer and quicker.

Mike

Im just curious what rear shocks you installed. Did you get a set of factory air shocks or go with regular shocks and resistors to keep the dash light out?

Get GM part #19207418 for the shocks. It is a set of two. They were $166.00 delivered to my door from GMpartsdirect.com. These are the correct GM air shocks.

Also, HIGHLY recommend you order GM # 11518444 which is a set of 4 U-nuts to secure the bottom shock bolts. After, 8, 9, 10 years they just break when you remove the originals.

Hope that helps. By the way there is no electric connection on these shocks. My model car did not have those type. (FE7)

Mike

Reasons to use ramps:

1. Safer and quicker.

Mike

There was NO reason to support the lower control arm with a jack all you needed to do was support the FRAME of the vehicle, let the suspension hang and then remove the shock, the shocks on this car DO NOT support the rear suspension from dropping as on the older solid axles.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived