CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Intermittent difuculty starting. FPR Tested OK. Any new ideas?

simplyrob

I tested the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and no fuel dripped out. Any other ideas that would explain the intermittent starting problem? Help :huh:

Plugs, ignition wires, water in fuel, dirty fuel filter, fuel pump issues

How long does it crank without starting

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I tested the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and no fuel dripped out. Any other ideas that would explain the intermittent starting problem? Help :huh:

No trouble codes?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

When it does occur it will take 2-3 cranks. It is intermittent and driving me nuts. I could try the fuel filter next. Can you tell me the location? I did the FPR check when the engine was cold. Does it matter or should I check it when the engine is hot?

When it does occur it will take 2-3 cranks. It is intermittent and driving me nuts. I could try the fuel filter next. Can you tell me the location? I did the FPR check when the engine was cold. Does it matter or should I check it when the engine is hot?

None....

No trouble codes?

None whatsoever....

No trouble codes?

None whatsoever....

I did not check for trouble codes since I thought I only needed to check for this when the check engine light came on. Is this correct?

Check for codes. There can be codes even if the SES isn't on. The SES lights up when problems are "big" enough. For instance emission-related problems.

Post the codes here (both history and current ones since your problem is intermittent).

Please try to be patient when asking questions here. People here actually give a darn! <_<

Check for codes. There can be codes even if the SES isn't on. The SES lights up when problems are "big" enough. For instance emission-related problems.

Post the codes here (both history and current ones since your problem is intermittent).

Please try to be patient when asking questions here. People here actually give a darn! <_<

There were actually two.

1. P0741

2. P0741 pending

What are the issues with intermittent starting. Does it start o.k. when its cold? or is it after it warms up that it's hard to start?

It appears to start fine in the morning. It seems that when it sits out in the hot sun all day is when the problem occurs. This morning it started fine. When i got off work today at 4:30 it took two cranks. If I turn it off right away it will start right up again. Go figure! I am keeping a log to see if the pattern holds. Any ideas?

It appears to start fine in the morning. It seems that when it sits out in the hot sun all day is when the problem occurs. This morning it started fine. When i got off work today at 4:30 it took two cranks. If I turn it off right away it will start right up again. Go figure! I am keeping a log to see if the pattern holds. Any ideas?

May be moisture in the fuel, try a dry gas

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I had similar problem with mine, would start fine when cold, hard start when warm after it sat for awhile. My FPR checked out o.k. as well-chenged it anyway and never had another problem.

I am having the opposite problem. I have problems in the morning when the car has sat overnight, takes 2-3 cranks and likes to spit and sputter for a second. Car starts fine after that. Any suggestions?

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

I am having the opposite problem. I have problems in the morning when the car has sat overnight, takes 2-3 cranks and likes to spit and sputter for a second. Car starts fine after that. Any suggestions?

Leaking injector or head gasket will do that.

do you hear your fuel pump engage when you turn the key? I'm suspecting a fuel pump relay. when the relay go's bad, the backup is the oil pressure switch. when the crank builds up enough oil -pressure, the backup will then engage the fuel pump. a symptom of this backup system is longer cranking time. the good thing is that you are not left stranded :) I thin you can switch with the AC relay, as they are the same.

UPDATE!!!

I tested the FPR again and this time I actually let it run for a few minutes, and it began to leak! The first test I did I unplugged the vacuum hose and nothing came out. I therefore plugged it back in and assumed that was not the issue. I researched more and stumbled upon a post that said to wait a couple of minutes. They were correct! I ordered the part from Rock Auto for $55.00 total and had it in 3 days. It took less than 2 minutes to install and it starts right up everytime!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem. Have you tried to turn the ignition key half-way

(without engaging starter) and listen for the fuel pump to begin sending fuel to the engine? Maskes that whirring sound if it's working properly. If no sound, my guess would be it's time to install a new fuel pump and filter.

Never mind...I see you fixed the problem.

Archived