CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1986 Eldorado, help with codes

Ruud

Hi guys, I just bought a 1986 Eldorado and thought I need to join this forum.

here's a pic of my pride and (hope to be) joy :)

Picture093.jpg

I have already discovered some issues which I hope 1 of you wise people can help me with.

I have pulled the codes and the results are:

E030 (History) ISC RPM out of range

E052 (History) PCM Memory Reset

B127 (current) Sensor Circuit Problem Parking Brake Release

B448 (History) Low A/C refrigerant

B552 (History) BCM Memoy Reset

then at the end it stays on -- ECM?

any thoughts :huh:

Also the parking brake doesn't work so I had a closer look. The lever was pulled tight yet the wheel moved freely. The foot brake worked fine though :huh: any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks Eldo

I would clear the codes out and concentrate on the "current" code. There is probably a short in the circuit to the sensor of the parking brake. As far as it not working I would check the parking brake cable to the rear wheels. There could be a bracket broke or a stretched cable or someone forgot to hook the parking brake cable up at the wheel after a brake job. The foot brake is hydraulic, the parking brake is a cable.

:welcomesmiley:

None of the codes looks serious. The emergency brake is a separate system on most cars, and is a drum or band brake on the axles or even the drive shaft. It looks like someone once drove with the emergency brake on and wore out the linings, a common thing. Pep Boys or Goodyear should be able to put your emergency brake in shape pretty easily. At that point I would reset all the codes and wait and see if any come back.

The ISC code may indicate that the car needed a tune-up or even had a vacuum leak lately. If the code doesn't come back, I would assume that this was a transient condition like a little balkiness when starting up after sitting a long time. Two of the codes (E052 and B552) mean that the battery was out of the car sometime in the last three months. And, whoever you bought the car from put Freon in it.

This looks like a fine car with nothing wrong with it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

I have cleared the codes and the only ones left are:

B127 (current) Sensor Circuit Problem Parking Brake Release

B448 (Current) Low A/C refrigerant

The handbrake does operate with a cable but the lever is attached to the caliper which turns a stud (I think) inside the caliper to push the piston out. The problem is to find the exact setting for the parking brake in conjunction with the foot brakes.

Does anyone know if other cars use the same calipers as the Eldo?

I changed the heading on your thread for it to be more informative and more easily searchable,

Welcome aboard, nice car

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The next thing I would do is check the connector on the parking brake. It's probably pulled off of the sensor.

If the A/C works OK, I would look under the hood on the air conditioning lines until I found the sensors. One of the connectors may be pulled off the sensor. If the A/C doesn't seem to be cooling or isn't working at all, get some Freon put in and have it checked for leaks.

Check the codes in a few days and see if any others reappear.

What a magnificent find. That's a beautiful car.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks Jim :)

Would I find the sensor at the pedal?

The handbrake is not working though...but I'm trying to sort that. probably needs new calipers at the back.

The A/C is not working. The problem is with the freon, it's R12 and not available in the UK. Do you know of a decent replacement I can get or any other tips?

thanks

I thought the rear brakes were drum brakes that are self adjusting by driving the car in reverse and stepping on the brakes. There should be a spacer holding your brake shoes apart with a wheel connection on it and a lever that turns it to automatically adjust the brake shoes when you put the car in reverse then stop. You may have to replace your parking brake cable if it is stretched too much, I do not know if there is an adjustment or not.

Hi Paul,

No drum brakes. The parking brake operates the brake pads. There is a lever on the rear caliper which pushes the piston out when pushing the p.brake pedal

I don't know about UK law and procedures for obtaining R-12 but in the US it can be done but it's very expensive. I didn't think R-12 was available in the US until I did a web search and found some. Conversion to R-134a may be as simple as flushing your system and adding R-134a compatible refrigerant oil and then the R-134a itself. Replacement of other components such as the compressor, expansion valve, dryer-accumulator, and/or hoses may or may not be necessary, which can get expensive. Anyone with information about converting model year 1986 Cadillac or other GM A/C systems to R-134a?

The emergency brake sounds like it is an adjustment issue, or a connector off a sensor. If you need your pads replaced, of course you would want to do that first.

I don't know about UK law and procedures for obtaining R-12 but in the US it can be done but it's very expensive. I didn't think R-12 was available in the US until I did a web search and found some. Conversion to R-134a may be as simple as flushing your system and adding R-134a compatible refrigerant oil and then the R-134a itself. Replacement of other components such as the compressor, expansion valve, dryer-accumulator, and/or hoses may or may not be necessary, which can get expensive. Anyone with information about converting model year 1986 Cadillac or other GM A/C systems to R-134a?

The emergency brake sounds like it is an adjustment issue, or a connector off a sensor. If you need your pads replaced, of course you would want to do that first.

I decided to get new calipers and pads to be safe. These are on their way from the US. $119 for 2 calipers with pads incl. delivery to the UK sounded like a good deal to me.

I have also done a search for R12 and it is readily available on your Ebay(if you can prove you're a tech or state that you only buy it to sell on to a certified tech, but impossible to get here.

I would really like to stick to R12 as this cools better :)

I would have the A/C checked for leaks and topped off by an A/C technician that is licensed in the UK.

I would have the A/C checked for leaks and topped off by an A/C technician that is licensed in the UK.

well, I've just spoken to an A/C tech and he said it is illegal full stop, however he said he knew someone who probably still had some R12 lying around somewhere but that it wasn't cheap; about £100/liter..($162) :o

He also mentioned he could recharge the system with a drop in replacement called: R22 or R24. Does anyone have experience with either?

well, I've just spoken to an A/C tech and he said it is illegal full stop, however he said he knew someone who probably still had some R12 lying around somewhere but that it wasn't cheap; about £100/liter..($162) :o

He also mentioned he could recharge the system with a drop in replacement called: R22 or R24. Does anyone have experience with either?

I don't think R22 would work at all.

That is used in HOME AC units not in cars.

Posted Image

I don't think R22 would work at all.

That is used in HOME AC units not in cars.

lol..maybe I didn't hear him right then :) It's RS24 he mentioned

Archived