CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bad shift solenoid throw a code???

I think my 95 eldorado has a bad b shift solenoid cause its stuck in 2nd and if it was bad I need to know where it would throw a dtc or not. Also there is a shift solenoid a and b right? I called the oreillys here in town and they said there was only one, a "1-2-3-4" solenoid. Trans ia a 4T80E vin code Y. Thanks. ps. on a quick update. I called oreillys trans tech line and the guy said they had one part number for the shift solenoids so hes figuring the a and b shift solenoids are the same thing. Any truth to this?

:welcomesmiley:

When the shift solenoids on my 1995 STS went out, it threw a code. Sometimes it doesn't.

There IS an A and B shift solenoid, replace both.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Oxymoron >>> oreillys trans tech line

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just changed mine last weekend in an '00 Deville so I'm not sure if they are exactly the same

1-2 & 3-4 is GM part number 24207662 $19.40

2-3 is GM part number 24207384 $20.48

To get them out you will have to remove your lower valve body and take it apart to get to the clips holding them in, and you will need to know exactly where the ball bearings go back in the valve body when you rebolt it together. If you do a search in the forum there is a posting if the exact image you need. I will look for the link as well. When you do this job you will probably want Fltr Kit 24216035 $32.71, which is really a screen kit and not a filter kit so how it gots its name in the system I have no idea. The real filter is in the side of your trans and is very difficult to get to; to the point of partially removing the engine and trans assembly. Remember, I'm not certain if your year is exactly like mine so the part numbers can be different.

Charlie

Hell yeah i figured as much. Apparently the a and b are the same thing, at least thats what aamco told me. Even *smurf* caddy dealer down here couldnt give me a stright answer. Where do these companies get these people? I as a ase certified auto technician that cant find any automotive work at all around here am completely disgusted at the sheer stupidity of some of the people these companies hire. I couldnt even carry on a technical conversation with the guy at the caddy dealer. I was like seriously? Dude sounded like he was half drunk and I couldnt even understand what he was saying. *smurf* *smurf*. Well at least i might get my car going. Guess Ill see tomorrow when my solenoids arrive. Ps. thanks for the info charlie. Ive already ordered the 2 shift solenoids from oreillys and from like I said from what I was told and from I can deduct from the ramblings of parts dealers around here theyre the same thing. At least I hope so. If not Ill be pissed lol. Oh and definatley please do get me that link thanks again.

I just pulled the trans pan on my 95 eldorado and Im trying to figure out which bolts im supposed to remove to pull the lower control body. I alldataed it but pic I found has significantly less bolts than what im looking at now. Yes the pic is for the 4t80e but i just dont know im confused any help would be appreciated thanks.

PLEASE keep related threads together, I merged this with your prior thread

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just pulled the trans pan on my 95 eldorado and Im trying to figure out which bolts im supposed to remove to pull the lower control body. I alldataed it but pic I found has significantly less bolts than what im looking at now. Yes the pic is for the 4t80e but i just dont know im confused any help would be appreciated thanks.

Do a search, I have posted many photos of the lower control body, there are CHECK BALLS in the lower control valve, that MUST go back correctly, do a search for shift solenoids

Here is a recent thread that has the procedure and photos of the check ball location

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21530

Yeah ive seen those same walkthroughs before and I understand the disassembly of the vavle body and all, but im stuck at step one. Out of all the bolts on the bottom of the vavle body do I just take all of them out? I need a pic of the bottom of the valve body showing which to take out so i take the valve body out, instead of taking it out and dis-assembling it at the same time accidently.

Well quicky update. Apparently you can just pull all the bolts you see on the lower side of the valve body as the ones on the top are what actually hold the 2 (upper and lower) sections together. So i pulled my valve body took it apart (a shift solenoid was indeed broken) noted location of checkballs, cleaned it out with brake-clean real well and let it air dry, then replaced my a and b solenoids, the mini filter in between and re-assembled with the longer screw and bracket. I reinstalled everything along with new scavanger screens and still no luck. I tried the p11 pcm override test and I do have 3rd and 4th now, but 1st and 2nd still wont engage. They just slip as if the car is in neutral. I pulled my dtcs and Im getting a p56 current, p76 history, p86 history, a p132 current, and a s71 history. I did read on alldata something about positioning the low/reverse band with .002-.003in shim? I however did not do this as in my reading on both this and another caddy forum I did not see anything about anyone positioning this band. I did however wiggle my bands just a tad while the valve body was out just to see what they felt like and they were loose. (not sure if they are/are not supposed to be loose, but figured Id put that in there just incase it means anything. I think I may indeed need a new or rebuild on my trans. Thanks for reading and any insight would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so half bump half question. A friend of mine told me today that the low and reverse bands are the same and hardware wise if I have reverse 1st and Im assuming 2nd should be mechanically sound? I dont know if there's any truth to this but $2700 (Extra $700 thrown in to add a lsd) quoted by a local shop for uninstall, rebuild, and reinstall kinda hurts. Whats even worse is im a student here at the local technical college for automotive technology, so i shoud be able to do this myself, however, I havnt had automatic transmissions yet, and I dont have alot of tools to work with. (Class dosnt resume till mid august, and Ill need a car by then as its my one and only dd) Any help would be greatly appeciated if anyone has any input on this. If you respond please read previous posts if not caught up on the situation as I have pulled codes and posted said results previously. Thanks again for reading and god bless cadillacs

You can recieve info about your codes here: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Dont jump to conclusions and try to "fix" whatever seems "wrong". The first step is to pull the codes and fix the faults with the electronics/sensors etc. The 4t80e is as bulletproof as they get. The reason you never heard about the bands is because it isn't a problem ;)

Your current ones are P056 = transmission input speed sensor and P132 = knock sensor circuitry failure.

History ones are P071(?) = intermittent MAP signal and P076 = transmission pressure solenoid

It seems like you need to check your connections at the transmission input speed sensor. The codes doesn't seem to explain why you don't have the 1st and 2nd gear. The obvious explanaition would be that the solenoid for the 1-2 shift is the wrong part no. (assuming that they gave you two equal ones since "they are the same"... which they aren't!) or that the check-balls don't move freely/are missing. It is also important that the gasket between the body halves is intact. I.e. the black coating shouldn't tear apart if you don't want an internal leak. Do you know if you had the history codes before you worked on the tranny?

Yeah i cleared the codes before i ever pulled the valve body, after everything i took it around the block and to town once and still pulled up the p56 and p76. I got the kit from the gm/cadillac dealer here in town and the 2 solenoids did have the same number printed on the side, and Ive had people tell me on here and another cadillac forum that they are the same so Im not sure whos right lol. But i did use the full kit. I cleaned everything out real well to make sure no junk/gunk clogged the checkball locations and passages, and i reinstalled each in their orignal location. If it helps i noticed the other day on the back of my car that said "courtesy" so im assuming its a dealer rental deal so no telling how hard it was reemed. But i did buy it from a private seller.

Yeah i cleared the codes before i ever pulled the valve body, after everything i took it around the block and to town once and still pulled up the p56 and p76. I got the kit from the gm/cadillac dealer here in town and the 2 solenoids did have the same number printed on the side, and Ive had people tell me on here and another cadillac forum that they are the same so Im not sure whos right lol. But i did use the full kit. I cleaned everything out real well to make sure no junk/gunk clogged the checkball locations and passages, and i reinstalled each in their orignal location. If it helps i noticed the other day on the back of my car that said "courtesy" so im assuming its a dealer rental deal so no telling how hard it was reemed. But i did buy it from a private seller.

AC-Delco has a kit containing both the solenoids. #24211355. I'm not sure if AC-Delco is OEM for these parts but they have never let me down..Perhaps someone else can chime in here?

• 9 months later...

im going thrue the same thang replaced the shift solinoids and filters and still stuck in 2nd i can get it up to 45 at 4000rpms . codes e023, e025, e056, e059, e076, e117, e137. this is alot of codes most are refuring to the seloniod open curcit or shorted and same for pressure solinoid. this car is a 94 cadillac sls with the 4t80e transmsission. i have replaced the pcm and instament cluster. when i bought the car the cluster didnt work. and the speedomitor was not working because the computer was messed up.anny idea on why its not shifting?

I would get back into the tranny and check to see if one of the wires to the shift solenoids is not pinched. Sometimes when you put eveerything back together those wires can get pinched. Are you sure the check balls and springs all got back in right? If I remember right there are springs behind the solenoids that can fly out while you are not looking. Check to make sure the new bracket that holds the solenoids is installed correctly.

i fixed it it works now. the darn wiring harness wasnt conected all the way.lol . i bought this car and a guy replaced the moter and didnt plug the transmission back. stupid mechanic

That was an easy inexpensive fix.

The mechanic wasn't necessarily stupid, but rather not-very-observant. Replacing an engine in these cars isn't a simple task. It's easy to overlook something.

big4870885.jpg

when i instal a transmission i do everythang the way it is suposed to be done. i check every thang more than once. and inexpensive ya it was i bought shift solinoids replaced them a new computer and a new cluster. the laidy i boght it from sold it to me for 1200 its a 94 sls with no dents no torn seats no cosmetic problems. the laidy told me a mechanic that has been working on the cadillacs for 20 yers and he forgets to plug a transmission back up and also forgets to tighten the motor mounts and strut towers. so ya i guess he was an idiot. ive went thrue the whole electrical system just to find out my transmission was unplugged. ive been working on cars for 2 years and i probly know more then he does.lol. the good thang is it wasnt the transmission its a pain to change the 4t80e.

An unconnected plug can be attributed to being oblivious, but not tightening the motor mounts and strut towers.....well that leans a bit more toward stupid. Perhaps he was drunk when he did it? Hey, you never know these days....Lol.

big4870885.jpg

Archived