CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

N* Limp Home Mode

Rich

Just wondering what the standard operating procedure is for running a N* with a breached cooling system. The claim is that the car can be driven 50 miles or so with no coolant in the system at all. Does the car need to be moving at speed to conform with this claim? For instance, if stuck in commuter traffic with a failed cooling system, whether by bad water pump, blown hose, headgasket failure, or whatever, is the car "safe"? I remember when my headgaskets were failing, I watched the temp gauge spike and pulled over before it went into the red. I then let it cool, restarted and again pulled over to let it cool. Was this necessary? Since I use my Eldorado in commuter traffic, as I'm sure many do, am I safe in heavy bumper to bumper traffic if I have a cooling system issue, or does the limp home feature require cooling air to ba passed through the radiator to keep the car going and to prevent overheating? My headgaskets were done (by a dealer replacing all 20 headbolts with timeserts) just over a year ago, and I've had no problems whatsoever, but I just want to know what my options are if I go down in traffic.

Thanks al,

Regards,

Rich

I blew the headbolts out of my ’97 Eldorado at more than 90 mph crossing the Howard Frankland Bridge over Tampa Bay. Blew all of the coolant out of the Northstar. Drove it carefully home in limp home mode over 25 or 30 miles trouble free. That was 2-1/2 years and over 20,0000 miles ago. Based on my experience with a ONE TIME EMERGENCY in moderately heavy rush-hour traffic around Tampa, Fl with the occasional stop and go I’d be carefull and attentive but I wouldn’t worry ahelluvalot about it. I sure as hell wouldn't do on a day to day basis however.

In your current situation drive and enjoy...

Personally I would NEVER drive it in coolant loss limp home mode.

In the summer seeing an occasional 240 to 245 in heavy bumper to bumper traffic is not a problem for a cooling system that is in GOOD shape. If it hit 260, I would be pulling over because the OIL would thin out so badly and it would mean to me that something was wrong and I would fix it.

I have been in 60 miles of BUMPER TO BUMPER traffic in 100 degree heat with the AC blazing and it never went above the 230 to 240 range

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The claims I've read say "50 miles at 50mph"

When I did my upper radiator hose I didn't clamp down one end tight enough, and I was on the freeway when the hose came off and I lost all my coolant. In any other car I would have stopped at the side of the road and called someone, but I knew about the limp home mode so I continued the half mile up the freeway to the exit and stopped under a close gas station overhead lights. Tightened the hose and put some coolant in (had some in the trunk).

Waiting at the stop light to turn right was scary, the front of the car was smoking and I hit about 238 on the temp gauge. :lol:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Personally I would NEVER drive it in coolant loss limp home mode.

In the summer seeing an occasional 240 to 245 in heavy bumper to bumper traffic is not a problem for a cooling system that is in GOOD shape. If it hit 260, I would be pulling over because the OIL would thin out so badly and it would mean to me that something was wrong and I would fix it.

I have been in 60 miles of BUMPER TO BUMPER traffic in 100 degree heat with the AC blazing and it never went above the 230 to 240 range

I would drive it in limp home mode. The system was designed for it. I remember the guru telling something about two reporters driving across the states to prove that Cadillac was wrong about the system working.

The engine power is reduced and the cylinders are firing up in a pattern allowing them to cool down (when pumping air). I wouldn't pull over until I had the "last" warning telling me to stop the engine.

But there is always a risk that a weakened head gasket would finally blow at that point...

About the oil. The OLM takes the temperature in account (both for the engine and the tranny) and with the limitation of 50 mph and 50 miles (at reduced power) there is no reason to worry about the oil running critically bad. Just watch the OLM and let it decide for you :)

Jan, I hear you, and I also recall the stories that the guru told. But at 123,000 miles I would be reluctant to drive 50 miles without coolant. I have my fingers crossed as it is.

When my engine gets really hot, the oil thins out badly and I lose oil pressure at idle due to the case half seals being bad. Currently I am using 10w30 because of the cold weather and constantly smell oil burning the next oil change I am going back to 15w40. As someone else mentioned I would do it only if I had to.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Jan, I hear you, and I also recall the stories that the guru told. But at 123,000 miles I would be reluctant to drive 50 miles without coolant. I have my fingers crossed as it is.

When my engine gets really hot, the oil thins out badly and I lose oil pressure at idle due to the case half seals being bad. Currently I am using 10w30 because of the cold weather and constantly smell oil burning the next oil change I am going back to 15w40. As someone else mentioned I would do it only if I had to.

The 15W/40 is ok to use in a Northstar according to the guru. I would propably switch the engine off if I had that kind of mileage too. Better safe than sorry!

Drove about 7 miles and was rewarded with a timesert job. NOT worth the risk!!

How can you make that conclusion? It could also be that your need for a timesert job (headgasket?) finally made the car go into limp home mode...

The 15W/40 is ok to use in a Northstar according to the guru. I would propably switch the engine off if I had that kind of mileage too. Better safe than sorry!

Jan I do use 15W40 on my rubbing element 96, but I dont use it in less than 30 degree F weather as I am afraid that my oil pressure does not get up quick enough, we had 10 to 15 degree F weather here in January and I needed to get it out. Im going back to 15W40 on my next change.

JO - The car went into limp home mode because the plastic nipple broke off the heater core dumping antifreeze into the pasenger conpartment and filling the car full of steam. I slowed down to about 15 on the side of the highway and got off at the next exit. At the bottom of the ramp it said to turn off engine which I did. Car was running fine prior to this.

JO - The car went into limp home mode because the plastic nipple broke off the heater core dumping antifreeze into the pasenger conpartment and filling the car full of steam. I slowed down to about 15 on the side of the highway and got off at the next exit. At the bottom of the ramp it said to turn off engine which I did. Car was running fine prior to this.

Ouch..a good example of the straw breaking the camels back...sorry to hear about your misfortune

I remember the guru talking about the limp home mode and how well it worked. I had to ask him if his Northstar overheated and he was in a safe place where he could pull over and have the car towed would he tow it or drive it the 50 miles or less. His response to me was "tow it, I thought that was obvious" :-)..

Have fun.

Archived