CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Withdrawals - Thinking about an Eldorado

95SevilleSLS

Well, ever since I got married I have "given" my wife the 02 STS. I am currently driving the 93 Sixty special. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the 4.9. But we just went on a business trip and I drove the 02 and man do I miss the northstar. It's so much quieter, smoother, and has so much more power. I can't sell the Sixty Special though because it was our wedding car and both are parents still have their wedding cars (74 Nova and 72 Charger).

So here's the deal, in about 3-6 months I plan on purchasing a late 90's eldorado. I've only owned a 75 eldorado so I have a few questions.

The 97 Seville had Stabilitrak, when did eldorado get it?

I prefer the 97 interior vs. the 95 interior, is the 2000 and up interior the same?

Is there anything about Edldorados that I should look for that is different from other Cadillacs?

My job has a lot of traveling, should I get the ELC or ETC?

I want it loaded to the max (stabiltrak, heated seated, sunroof, memory seats, bose) are all those available on an ELC?

I hope some of you know the answers!

Oh and what color should I get? (Just an opinion, not a real question)

Here is one I found:

http://www.geraldwetzel.com/Inventory/Inve....aspx?ID=28254#

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

If you can, why not go for a 2000 or newer Eldorado.

The redesigned Northstar is supposed to have less HG issues from 2000 and up.

If you like your wife's car, then I would stay with the 300hp ETC.

If your lucky, you can find one with the wood and leather steering wheel.

Good luck ... at some point in time, I intend to buy a 2001 or 2002 ETC.

ETC = eldorado touring coupe (300go)

ESC= eldorado sport coupe (275hp)

ETC has CVRSS and Stabiltrack standard.

Here is what the ETC added in model year 2000, over the base ESC.

ETC adds to ESC:

Powertrain

4.6-liter dohc V8 300-horsepower engine.

Safety

Antiskid system.

Comfort and Convenience Features

Bose AM/FM/weatherband/cassette/CD player, Memory Pkg. (memory seats, mirrors, climate control, and radio presets), power lumbar adjustment, heated front seats, rear seat trunk pass-through, passenger-side mirror tilt-down parking aid, rain-sensing windshield wipers.

Appearance and Miscellaneous

Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension, 235/60HR16 tires.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I know that WARREN the Eldorado lover will be sniffing this thread! :lol:

I don't know what color Warren's Eldo is, but I LOVE it. Its a Greenish/Gold if my memory is correct. It has multiple shades as you walk around it

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I don't know what color Warren's Eldo is, but I LOVE it. Its a Greenish/Gold if my memory is correct. It has multiple shades as you walk around it

Plus, Warren's car comes with the rare, optional, twin pack fire extinguisher system.

Should the first cannister run dry, the second one immediately kicks in. :lol:

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Plus, Warren's car comes with the rare, optional, twin pack fire extinguisher system.

Exactly, and he has a listing of all the great Steak Houses on Long Island in the glove compartment!

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I've been looking for an Eldorado lately - and 128 K miles is waaaaay to many.

There's usually some low mileage cars available - like under 50k miles - they're rare, but definitely out there. I've seen many both high and low mileage cars, and there doesn't seem to be enough of a price difference between them to justify buying a higher mileage car.

And, if you read the threads, the dreaded head bolt problem, which can mean the death of an otherwise useful car because of the cost of repairs, seems to almost always be in the mid-late 90's cars, and I can't remember seeing a post about that in a 2000-up car.

Use google's advanced search to look for Eldorados - and put in craigslist.org as the site to search in, and you'll see several each day nationwide, and eventually find one near enough to you.

And, Eldorados MUST have moonroofs - the car style is perfect for them.

Exactly, and he has a listing of all the great Steak Houses on Long Island in the glove compartment!

Sniff, sniff, sniff . . .

It's sequoia, a medium dark green with a heavy dose of gold metal flake. Mustard pinstripes. Outstanding car, but no current Eldorado has a rear seat pass-thru.

2001Eldorado-1.jpg

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Now that was cruel . . . :wipetears

Regards,

Warren ;)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Well, ever since I got married I have "given" my wife the 02 STS. I am currently driving the 93 Sixty special. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the 4.9. But we just went on a business trip and I drove the 02 and man do I miss the northstar. It's so much quieter, smoother, and has so much more power. I can't sell the Sixty Special though because it was our wedding car and both are parents still have their wedding cars (74 Nova and 72 Charger).

So here's the deal, in about 3-6 months I plan on purchasing a late 90's eldorado. I've only owned a 75 eldorado so I have a few questions.

The 97 Seville had Stabilitrak, when did eldorado get it?

I prefer the 97 interior vs. the 95 interior, is the 2000 and up interior the same?

Is there anything about Edldorados that I should look for that is different from other Cadillacs?

My job has a lot of traveling, should I get the ELC or ETC?

I want it loaded to the max (stabiltrak, heated seated, sunroof, memory seats, bose) are all those available on an ELC?

I hope some of you know the answers!

Oh and what color should I get? (Just an opinion, not a real question)

Here is one I found:

http://www.geraldwetzel.com/Inventory/Inve....aspx?ID=28254#

I believe the Eldorado got the Stabilitrak in '97 - same as the Seville. The 275 HP Northstar will get 3-4 MPG better than the 300 HP version. I own both in my Sevilles and really can't tell the difference between the two - actually, the SLS seems quicker off the line over the STS but I do not have any actual data to support that.

As for the color - my vote is for black on black.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Now that was cruel . . . :wipetears

Regards,

Warren ;)

Listen, I have my own heartaches to deal with.

I kick myself everyday for not picking up your 97 all black ETC for my daughter.

Instead, I bought a cheaper all black Maxima.

It was just too convenient ... coworker's car, I knew it inside out, etc.

The max has been a good $3k beater, but your Eldo ... I would've stolen it from her

for myself.

Dammit

Here's the Maxima ... good 1st car for a 17yr old girl.

max2.jpg

While I'm posting pics of old cars, here are my two Cutlass' from a few years back.

171_171.jpg

The other car I never should've sold was this 1995 Crimson pearl STS with black leather, chrome rims.

I've never seen another, plus, it was the fastest STS I've ever owned.

081_81.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack ... go for either ESC or ETC, whichever one has the best service history

and fewest issues.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Listen, I have my own heartaches to deal with.

I kick myself everyday for not picking up your 97 all black ETC for my daughter.

Instead, I bought a cheaper all black Maxima.

It was just too convenient ... coworker's car, I knew it inside out, etc.

The max has been a good $3k beater, but your Eldo ... I would've stolen it from her

for myself. Dammit

It was a '98.

I simply can't believe you deprived your own daughter of that! How could you?

I sold it to my boss's boss for his college-aged son's use. How's that for a risky career move? I put tablets in his radiator every day he's not looking! :D

Sometimes folk ask how I compare the '98 to the '01. No problem!

See below.

Eldos.jpg

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

What a great car for a young guy in college.

Has the 98 been pretty much trouble free for him, I hope?

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

That would be a great car for an old guy like me long OUT of college, :lol: It would improve my social status immediately :lol:

Does anyone know how I can defeat the security system on the 01 ETC Eldorado? Code scanner? Just cut battery and flat bed it? That is probably the easiest thing to do.. :ph34r:

What a great car for a young guy in college.

Has the 98 been pretty much trouble free for him, I hope?

I ensured the car was in top condition before I sold it. I didn't realize I was gonna make such a risky sale; it's just in my nature to offer a good product for sale. Had it been in less than great condition, I'd have made appropriate concessions.

When it was first offered to the kid he was not enthusiastic. I probably kept the '98 for maybe three months before the sale was completed. Then I let Mom and Dad drive the car with junior in tow. Junior perked up. Last I heard he was VERY pleased with the car. Not surprisingly, there isn't another like it on campus.

But yes, it has been trouble free for him.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

That would be a great car for an old guy like me long OUT of college, :lol: It would improve my social status immediately :lol:

Does anyone know how I can defeat the security system on the 01 ETC Eldorado? Code scanner? Just cut battery and flat bed it? That is probably the easiest thing to do.. :ph34r:

You were probably closer than you know. The week of January 11th (on vacation) I had my checkbook in hand when I visited the Kingdom to grab an '04 XLR with under 9,000 miles on it ($32K). I was told it had been sold "last week." It's still on their website. Teasing S.O.B.'s.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Why not contact the kid, offer him a straight up trade for the Deville?

Tell him its a better chick magnet, and comes with a huge backseat, a veritable "motel on wheels", so

to speak. :rolleyes:

Better yet, tell the kid everytime you pull over for gas, young girls go wild when you pop the hood.

Here's the photographic proof you can show him ... that's your Deville, right?

1994-cadillac-deville-pic-taken-at-.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Tell him its a better chick magnet, and comes with a huge backseat, a veritable "motel on wheels", so

ted has a point. "The kid" is about 6 ft. tall and the Eldorado has a back seat that wouldn't embarrass a Mustang. Or much else.

Posted Image

Better yet, tell the kid everytime you pull over for gas, young girls go wild when you pop the hood.

Here's the photographic proof you can show him ... that's your Deville, right?

1994-cadillac-deville-pic-taken-at-.jpg

Hey wait maybe Ill keep it now! :lol: I didnt realize my strut tower brace had that effect on da ladies! They can hold mine anytime they want! :lol:

You were probably closer than you know. The week of January 11th (on vacation) I had my checkbook in hand when I visited the Kingdom to grab an '04 XLR with under 9,000 miles on it ($32K). I was told it had been sold "last week." It's still on their website. Teasing S.O.B.'s.

Regards,

Warren

Ill run by tomorrow and take a look if I see one Ill let you know

ted has a point. "The kid" is about 6 ft. tall and the Eldorado has a back seat that wouldn't embarrass a Mustang. Or much else.

Hey I am 6'4" and I KNOW from experience that my backseat is adequate for said task! :lol:

Hey I am 6'4" and I KNOW from experience that my backseat is adequate for said task! :lol:

Yeah, me too. There was a time when I was "just adequate."

I was twelve.

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

I have decided not to reply for fear that I will incriminate myself. :lol:

Archived