CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No overdrive..uh oh

Bear with me because I dont know anything about transmissions but when i got on the highway tonight i opened her up. The tach shot up but the car didnt shift. Tried this a few more times on the drive but couldnt get OD (passing gear 4th whatever it is). I have no codes and the fluid doesnt smell abnormal to me (not that I would know) and its still cherry red. All of the other gears seem to work just fine. Am I in trouble?

The two things that would prevent the trans from shifting into overdrive are: 1) the 4th gear servo piston seal or 2) a bad shift solenoid.

The shift solenoids can be inspected by dropping the pan and inspecting the solenoid housings. the 4th gear servo piston seal is accessable by removing the 3-4" round cover near the frame crossmember. The piston will pop out and you can inspect the rubber ring. If is difficult to get it back together due to the close proximity of the frame member but it can be done.

At any rate, it should be able to be fixed for a reasonable amount unless the shop just wants to rebuild the trans...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well i took it to the shop and they said they couldnt reproduce the problem. The fluid didnt smell bad to them and I dont think they even bothered dropping the pan. Anyway its doing it again tonight. I guess Ill be taking it back into them to drop the pan and actually look this time (grrr). Is it possible that there is a problem other than a solenoid or servo piston seal? Someone I was talking to earlier said something about a possible worn clutch or something along those lines. Does that make sense so anyone?

It sounds to me like the transmission control was in "3" instead od "D". It might be the PRNDL switch.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Press the off & warmer button, and leave the screen up. as you drive, watch your HVAC screen. As the car shifts, you will notice some activity on the different items that are displayed. I can't find the .pdf for what each one means, but the test is when you press on the brake. you should notice one of the items going off & on as you step on the brake. - this tests if the OD switch on your brake peddle is stuck in the closed position or not. I guess if the switch is bad, it can be possible that your Tranny thinks you are stepping on the brake, and thus never puts you into overdrive, and this wouldn't set a code.

Archived