CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

intake gasket and plenum duct relpacement

Dana, don't you just love this board? How hard would it be to own your car, without this board? :lol:

I wouldnt be able to own my caddy without you guys... even though yall all hate rap LOL .... i still think you guys are great with Caddy's!!! and respect all of you for the knowledge that yall have.

I wouldnt be able to own my caddy without you guys... even though yall all hate rap LOL .... i still think you guys are great with Caddy's!!! and respect all of you for the knowledge that yall have.

Okay, maybe I'll give RAP another try.

Psst . . . is Dana still here? No? good!

Yeah right: fat chance I'll give RAP another try! :D Your dead Great Aunt Bertha should live that long!

Don't nobody tell Dana. Right?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yeah right: fat chance I'll give RAP another try! :D Your dead Great Aunt Bertha should live that long!

Regards,

Warren

u dont have to.. means nothing to me.. my music stays the same, and it still sounds good to me. im sure the genre you like isnt liked by everyone, but you still love it.

I like sax, fusion, jazz and blues, but I listen to anything that moves my soul. My MySpace page tracks all of the bands in the area. Listening to a talented band is a pleasure.

My 28 yo son listens to RAP, my 22 yo listens to a wide range of music but tends toward Dave Matthews, he is a musician. I listen to a wide range of music however, right now I am listening to the Pussycat Dolls - When I Grow Up.. :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Regards,

Warren

u dont have to.. means nothing to me.. my music stays the same, and it still sounds good to me. im sure the genre you like isnt liked by everyone, but you still love it.

It was meant in fun; I'm pleased to see you enjoy your genre. The fact that an individual (me) doesn't enjoy it is completely immaterial.

Enjoy,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Here is something you can relate to Dana. When I was in grade school at St Francis de Sales, at 47th and Springfield, in Phila, I was in the choir. The director Peter LaManna was a genious. We were famous, we cut two Columbia record albums, we were in 12 operas (in German, French, Spanish and Latin) and in one I sang a solo on stage in costume to Renate Tebaldi in Aida in the Philadelphia Academy of Music. We sang at Kennedy's grave, the Worlds Fair, at Lincoln Center in NY, and high mass every Sunday. We were compared to the Vienna Boys Choir. I was a soprano, and sang solo on Saturdays and Sundays singing Weddings and Funerals with another soprano, David Jones. I have a Christmas Album that I have converted to CD, that I can hear my 4th grade voice on!!!! My parents were entertainers, my dad was a singer and my mom a singer and dancer and she was a Rockette and worked on Broadway. You can believe I have a wide range of music likes.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Dana, as I have stated, I am not an audiophile ...

But, that does not mean, that I don't like music ...

I like the pulse/beat of Rap and the poetry/rhyme of it

and I have no problem to listening to it ...

and some of Rap's better stuff, contains interesting social statements ...

Hm mm ... maybe that is why, I enjoy Reggae so much, and world music ...

but, just to make a long story short here ...

if, I were to be listening to something, to fit my mood right now ...

I'm thinking ... Sting and/or Sting when he was still with The Police ...

Lane

Dana, as I have stated, I am not an audiophile ...

But, that does not mean, that I don't like music ...

I like the pulse/beat of Rap and the poetry/rhyme of it

and I have no problem to listening to it ...

and some of Rap's, better stuff contains interesting social statements ...

Hm mm ... maybe that is why, I enjoy Reggae so much, and world music ...

but, just to make a long story short here ...

if, I were to be listening to something, to fit my mood right now ...

I'm thinking ... Sting and/or Sting when he was still with The Police ...

Lane

• 3 years later...

Replacing the intake plenum is not that difficult. Will need fuel line tools. The part is $35-40. Got mine from Buick dealership. Most screws and nuts are all 10 mm. Chilton manual has a decent outline for the procedure. A leaky plenum will cause a HOST of problems and SES codes. PO 171, 174 lean condition bank 1 and 2. PO 101, mass airflow performance. PO 300 random misfire. PO 741 torque converter clutch, often runs parrallel with this condition. Many folks have said that 741 went away after replacing plenum. Not so sure myself. A leaky intake plenum will cause pre ignition,. Poor fuel economy, poor idle and inconsistent idle. A potentially dangerous condition of high idle (2000 rpm and higher).

I chased this problem for months. Purchased a coil pack, egr valve, idle air control valve($$$$$$). None of these components were faulty

Northstar motors are a awesome piece of machinery, but they are precision and very fussy.

P0741 is not even remotely related to a ripped plenum and a ripped plenum will not cause pre-ignition. It has nothing to do with ignition or ignition timing.

WHat does

. Don't think so Mr. Engineer. I agree with the PO 741 not having nothing to do with a torn plenum. But after replacing the plenum, any preignition has gone away.

Please explain how how a torn plenum and preignition have anything at all to do with P0741.

P0741 is the Torque Converter Clutch...

Posted Image

As far as the pre ignition issue(spark knock). If you were going like 40 -45 mph and gave it light to moderate acceleration, a spark knock could be heard briefly. Knock sensors would detect the spark knock and pcm would retard timing. Then after replacing the intake plenum, the spark knock went away all together.

Regarding the PO741 thing. I had heard from others that it possibly could be associated with a torn plenum. But was not so sure. Also heard from others that after they repaired a vacuum leak, the PO741 went away. Am of the opinion that it has no association with a leaky plenum.

Not trying to be arguementative at all. This rough idle thing was frustrating. Sought advice from what I thought were knowledgeable folks. Some said it was a coil pack, tried that and no resolution. Tried a egr valve, no resolution.Cleaned the throttle body meticulously, no resolution. Spark plugs were changed when valve cover gaskets were r & r'd. Another pain in the duff.

Finally broke down and sought counsel of local Caddy-Buick retailer. Tech stated that if hissing could be heard, spray throttle body cleaner at the suspect spots. BINGO,bad intake plenum. Bought a Chilton repair manual and went at it. Part cost $36. Replaced intake gaskets and replaced o-rings on the injectors. Put it all back together and it runs flawlessly. Knocking went away, smooth and consistent idle.Fuel economy much improved. PO171, PO174 ,PO101 and P300 have all vanished.

Not trying to be arguementative at all.

You didn't come across that way.

As far as the pre ignition issue(spark knock).

Pre-ignition and spark knock (detonation) are two vastly different things. I've never hard of a ripped plenum causing detonation, but it is feasable, not pre-ignition though.

Regarding the PO741 thing. I had heard from others that it possibly could be associated with a torn plenum. But was not so sure. Also heard from others that after they repaired a vacuum leak, the PO741 went away. Am of the opinion that it has no association with a leaky plenum.

Whoever told you that is completely misinformed and your assumption is correct.

As far as the pre ignition issue(spark knock). If you were going like 40 -45 mph and gave it light to moderate acceleration, a spark knock could be heard briefly. Knock sensors would detect the spark knock and pcm would retard timing. Then after replacing the intake plenum, the spark knock went away all together.

Not trying to be arguementative at all. This rough idle thing was frustrating. Sought advice from what I thought were knowledgeable folks. Some said it was a coil pack, tried that and no resolution. Tried a egr valve, no resolution.Cleaned the throttle body meticulously, no resolution. Spark plugs were changed when valve cover gaskets were r & r'd. Another pain in the duff.

Finally broke down and sought counsel of local Caddy-Buick retailer. Tech stated that if hissing could be heard, spray throttle body cleaner at the suspect spots. BINGO,bad intake plenum. Bought a Chilton repair manual and went at it. Part cost $36. Replaced intake gaskets and replaced o-rings on the injectors. Put it all back together and it runs flawlessly. Knocking went away, smooth and consistent idle.Fuel economy much improved. PO171, PO174 ,PO101 and P300 have all vanished.

I am wondering if we have a typo causing some problems here. In the 4th and 5th line of your post you wrote P0741, and in the last line you list P0174 as going away, and no P0741 listed???

Was not a typo. Had read from some websites, forums etc. Some from this site and Caddy forum. That after resolving vacuum leak issues . Po741 disappeared. Was probably more wishfull thinking on my part that it would. This being said. I am aware it is a labor intense job to service the TCC solenoid. Lowering the engine/transaxle . Is there anything that can be done to aleviate the issue without lowering eng/tranaxle assy. Like changing the tranny fluid, or a proffesional flush done by a reputable trans shop. I run nothing but synthetic fluids in the engine and trans(Amsoil). Any ideas would be welcome.

Is there anything that can be done to aleviate the issue without lowering eng/tranaxle assy. Like changing the tranny fluid

Nope. Been there, done that. I still get the code. However, be advised that P0741 is a leaking seal. It is not a TCC solenoid problem unless it is accompanied by P1860.

Thanks , saw your post /comment regarding PO741, I will "live with it". This appears to be quite a common problem/issue . Had a friend with a 2003 Deville and he had the same code. Does not seem to affect driveability of vehicle. Fuel economy obviously will take a hit.

It seems more common on the 2000+ models for some odd reason. It does not affect drivability and the mileage hit is only about 1 MPG making it easy to live with.

Archived