CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Floor Jacks

lothos

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. Apologies if it's not.

Is a 2 ton jack and 2 ton jack stands sufficient to safely lift a Cadillac?

I had a small jack before, I believe it's called a trolley jack. It was actually an ACDelco that I got from WalMart three or four years ago for $20. It was the kind where you take the handle out and use the end of the handle to lower the car with a seperate valve. One of the wheels is bent now, and the jack doesn't sit level. It's not safe anymore.

I'm looking for an actual floor jack, the kind where you twist the lifting handle to lower the car. I've found one at Sears for $80. It's a 2 ton jack with a 19" lift height. Does anyone have one of these? Is it like the other Craftsman tools where you just bring it back to the store if you have problems? Is that a decent price, or would I be able to find a similar one for cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks for the advice guys!

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I think a 2 ton jack should be enough... thats 4000 lbs... thats all Ive ever used for a car or small truck.

$80 seems like a decent price, but I dont know, I got mine used.

You would have to ask sears about the return policy, I think thats only for hand tools, but I could be wrong.

Jonah

I just did a quick google search, it looks like the STS is around 3930 lbs, and the Deville is 3990. Would that 2 ton jack and stands be sufficient for that, or should I go for a 2 1/4 ton?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

I just did a quick google search, it looks like the STS is around 3930 lbs, and the Deville is 3990. Would that 2 ton jack and stands be sufficient for that, or should I go for a 2 1/4 ton?

Well think about it, if you just have both the fronts in the air, you will likely have two jack stands under it (or you should).

Since the whole car is not in the air, you will have less than 3930 lbs on the stands, but lets be cautious and call it 4000 lbs in the air.

But remember this is on two jack stands, each of which should be able to support 4000 lbs, so you will have a factor of safety of more than 2, not counting any built in factors of safety, or the fact that it is not 4000 lbs with just the front tires, so I would say you are no where near the limit on the stands, or the jack.

Even if you were to jack the entire car off the ground at once, you would still be right around 2 tons, so it shouldnt be an issue. If you find a way to do this, take some pictures, it would be cool to see.

Jonah

Even if you were to jack the entire car off the ground at once, you would still be right around 2 tons, so it shouldnt be an issue. If you find a way to do this, take some pictures, it would be cool to see.

Haha, that's quite the mental picture I got there. Thanks for the explanation, it definitely helps. I'll probably end up getting the jack from Sears after I find out about the warranty on it.

Cheers!

If you find a way to do this, take some pictures, it would be cool to see.

Haha, that's quite the mental picture I got there. Thanks for the explanation, it definitely helps. I'll probably end up getting the jack from Sears after I find out about the warranty on it.

I have a THREE ton I got from Sears for Christmas.

I would have no hesitation using it.

The only drawback is... MAN... that thing is HEAVY.

Just guessing... probably at least 70 pounds.

If you find the right point for the center of gravity... remember to use a little peice of plywood on top of the jack so that you don't bend the floor pan. :D:D:D

Posted Image

If you find the right point for the center of gravity... remember to use a little peice of plywood on top of the jack so that you don't bend the floor pan. :D:D:D

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers!

I have a THREE ton I got from Sears for Christmas.

I would have no hesitation using it.

The only drawback is... MAN... that thing is HEAVY.

Just guessing... probably at least 70 pounds.

You're right, it's a 3 ton jack that I picked up for $80 at Sears.

Thanks again for the tip about the plywood

Cheers!

Aren't there jacking pads on the subframe? You really should not ba jacking on the floor pan.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Aren't there jacking pads on the subframe? You really should not ba jacking on the floor pan.

I'm pretty sure he was joking about lifting the whole car at once. But I've seen people use plywood before in between a jack and the car, so it was a good tip none the less :lol:

Cheers!

jacks.jpg

:lol: :lol:

OMG!!!!! At least he has the wheels blocked to it doesn't ROLL, :lol:

Now I want to see someone do that with their CADILLAC, NOT... :lol:

WOW

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I LOVE floor jacks and have two of them. I could not do without them anymore

I really like the low profile jacks. The most recent one I bought was an aluminum 3-ton jack that is light to carry, very light. I got it at COSTCO or BJ's, check them out. Their prices are good also.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

jacks.jpg

WOW

Yeah - but he only has it chocked on one side of the wheel.... :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm pretty sure he was joking about lifting the whole car at once. But I've seen people use plywood before in between a jack and the car, so it was a good tip none the less :lol:

Yep... I was joking.... about lifting the WHOLE CAR at one time using a heavy duty floor jack placed at the right point to lift the entire car. :D:D

Posted Image

jacks.jpg

WOW

I don't want to know how this loaded gun was lifted that high.

There appears to be an arc welder available but he couldn't get the vehicle to a proper lift?

Does this guy vote in my Congressional District?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

jacks.jpg

WOW

OH that is his FOOT on the other side, LOL... I was thinking that the 4 by 4 better be on a SOLID piece of steel and NOT the floor bed, that sucker could push right though....

This is how they make ANGELS..... :fighting0025:

There appears to be an arc welder available but he couldn't get the vehicle to a proper lift?

Does this guy vote in my Congressional District?

If you look CLOSELY... I think he is actually USING the arc welder.

Posted Image

jacks.jpg

WOW

Or it's how the gene pool is chlorinated.... :lol: :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

jacks.jpg

WOW

Or it's how the gene pool is chlorinated.... :lol: :lol:

That was from an email titled "why women live longer than men". You can actually search and find it on the net, some good pics there!

Archived