CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Road Force Balance

BUICK11

Just had the Michelin HydroEdge tires Roadforce balanced on our 1999 SLS.

Paid $89.00. All I can say is WOW!

Real pleasure to cruise at 70 MPH!

Can't wait to drive it out on interstate 95 tomorrow just for the fun of it!

I highly recommend it!

Frank

Ok I have no idea what this means but for the benefit of those that do I will post it right off the work order.

Before.. L/Frt 16 lbs R/Frt 21 Lbs L/Rear 15 Lbs R/ Rear 20 Lbs

After......L/Frt 12 Lbs R/Frt 15 Lbs L/Rear 12 Lbs R/Rear 10Lbs.

I know the Michelin Tires have arrows on them and are Directional tires. I was strongly warned to keep on the same side of car.

got my trusty torque wrench out when I got home and rechecked Lug nuts. (A tip I got from this group)

Best $89.00 I ever spent on this car!

Frank

Yes, directional tires are only functional in one direction in the rain. On strictly dry pavement, it doesn't really matter, but during wet weather and aquaplane situations, they are only functional in the direction indicated by the arrows. For this reason, you cannot cross-rotate them in the pattern recommended by Cadillac, unless you have someone dismount them from the wheels and re-mount (which you're not likely to do, especially after paying the money for a road force balance).

We like numbers in the 10 pound range...15 should be okay. The tires at 20 pounds were definitely causing vibration. I plan to have mine road force balanced soon (this weekend perhaps).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I was seriously considering the Hydroedge for my next set of tires. What did they replace? Are they quiet? Smooth?

I'm glad you're happy with the RFB. Its really the only way to go for these and several other cars. I know 15# is the generally accepted target value, but as Jason points out, we like them a bit lower. Maybe you can try some of the suggestions that I've made over the years to get them a little lower next time.

I have always figured that running a set of tires that have been properly RFB'd, will tend to make them even more round after a little wear. Then I would want to get them warm, take them in to the tire shop, immediately get the car up off the ground before the tires can take a set, and have them all rebalanced one more time.

I think $89.00 is a bit steep, so experimenting is probably out. Sounds like you did get your money's worth though.

Good Job!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Ok I have no idea what this means but for the benefit of those that do I will post it right off the work order.

Before.. L/Frt 16 lbs R/Frt 21 Lbs L/Rear 15 Lbs R/ Rear 20 Lbs

After......L/Frt 12 Lbs R/Frt 15 Lbs L/Rear 12 Lbs R/Rear 10Lbs.

I know the Michelin Tires have arrows on them and are Directional tires. I was strongly warned to keep on the same side of car.

got my trusty torque wrench out when I got home and rechecked Lug nuts. (A tip I got from this group)

Best $89.00 I ever spent on this car!

Frank

Those are good post RFB numbers!

Out of curiosity, where did you have the work done, I find most places don't give you the numbers (or even record them) unless you explicitly ask for them BEFORE they do the work.

The tires replaced the OEM Goodyear Symetey. Which were crap. The Hydroedge are quiet and smooth. Keep in mind this is a SLS Not a STS. Thus it has a softer suspension.

My local Buick dealer has the Hunter Road force Balance machine. They are one of the best equiped dealership in the area. Honestly I was suprised to see the information printed on the Workorder when I paid the bill. You can go into the Hunter website and put in your zip code and it will give you a list of shops with the machine. One other thing. I have a good working relationship with the Buick Dealer's management and the most experienced Technican in the shop and they are not affraid to tell me when to tade it to the Cadillac dealer. They clearly know when they may get in over their head and are not affraid to let me know. Makes my life easier since they are less than 2 miles from home and offer two way shuttle service.

Peruzzi Buick Pontiac & GMC in Fairless Hills Pa.

Frank

I was seriously considering the Hydroedge for my next set of tires. What did they replace? Are they quiet? Smooth?

Good Job!

I have a set of Hydro Edge on my '02 Taurus. Have about 65,000 on them. Probably good for another 10 or 15,000. They have been excellent tires. Quieter and smother then the Continentels that came on it. (I hated them) Excellent handling, good traction wet or dry. No complaints whatever with them.

Never had them RFB, but two of them have NEVER needed more than very small weights and the other two are almost that good.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Posted Image

You can go into the Hunter website and put in your zip code and it will give you a list of shops with the machine.

Link? I looked and looked, but I can't find anything. :huh: Prolly just me...

Thanks BUICK11 B)

mynewcaddych2.jpg

I'm taking my STS tomorrow morning to the local Gemini/Goodyear dealer (even though it has Michelin tires). They charge $15/tire for the road force balance. Additional $5/tire if you want the stick-on weights instead of the clip-on weights. I'm going to ask for before/after numbers. I'm fully expecting 20+ pounds on a number of them -- some don't even have weights, so I don't even think they'd pass a simple spin balance test.

I'm going to ask for the stick-on weights if they must add weights to the outside of the wheels.

Technical question -- since the stick-on weights are necessarily placed closer to the center of the wheel than clip-on weights (and would have less leverage on lateral forces), is it harder to get a perfect balance when using them?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm taking my STS tomorrow morning to the local Gemini/Goodyear dealer (even though it has Michelin tires). They charge $15/tire for the road force balance. Additional $5/tire if you want the stick-on weights instead of the clip-on weights. I'm going to ask for before/after numbers. I'm fully expecting 20+ pounds on a number of them -- some don't even have weights, so I don't even think they'd pass a simple spin balance test.

I'm going to ask for the stick-on weights if they must add weights to the outside of the wheels.

Technical question -- since the stick-on weights are necessarily placed closer to the center of the wheel than clip-on weights (and would have less leverage on lateral forces), is it harder to get a perfect balance when using them?

Yes

Last bought Cooper tires from a local dealer & had them RF balanced at GY Gemini dealer. Lifetime warantee. Needed them balanced a time or tow ins the past couple of years and every time the tect found I needed some repairs that my mech. said were not needed.

Just use the free warantee and be heads up on the "repairs" they say you need.

First things first. First of all, the amount of wheel weights or their size, has nothing to do with a successful RFB. The process is successful because it matches the low spots on the rim with the high/hard spots on the tire. This makes the "rolling mass forces" of the tire become ROUNDER, when rotated againts a flat (THE ROAD) surface. It also delivers very UNREAPEATABLE results. Results of an RFB are influenced by many outside influences. It is imperative that the tire be RFB balanced in the condition in which it is expected to be used. In other words, warm and round as if it has been rolling down the road for several miles, or just off the rack.

Once this is completed, then and only then is the tire "weight balanced".

It has been posted here before that stick on weights do not do an adequate job of balancing a tire/rim combination, and further has been the cause of many unsuccesful RFB attempts. Do not, under any circumstances, use stick on weights! This may sound contradictory, but other board members have posted this, and I believe them.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Take your time finding one...

It's one thing to have the Hunter system, it's a completly different issue to use it correctly.

Last new set was at 16 lbs.

Anyway. Using 3 different tire shops in the Nashville area with Hunters, I have yet to find a shop that will match mount etc. Most just simply balance the tire on the Hunter.

The good news is...about 25 Hunters are now listed in my area. Alot more then just the 3-4 a couple of years ago. So this time around, I'll call first and check them out.

The Hunter Road Force Balance is only as good as the Technican operating it! I had a RFB done several years ago on my DTS and did want to drive the car afterwards because it was so bad. Spoke to service manager and tech and they told me I had 3 bad Michelin tires. I was caught in the middle as I called Michelin and they faxed me a letter stating they would not warranty a tire based upon the Hunter 9700 RFB. Thus I went back to the regular balance just to get out of the middle..A knowlegable Tech who is not in a hurry is the key to a good job.

Frank

Archived