CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TUNE UP AND CODES!

faris_jason

DTC B0429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

Circuit Description

The auxiliary air temperature actuator is an electronic stepper motor that is part of the air temperature actuator assembly. The HVAC control module supplies power and ground to the actuator. The HVAC control module controls the direction of the auxiliary air temperature actuator by changing the polarity of the control circuits. When the actuator reaches its desired position both circuits are fixed to the same value (9.5 to 12 volts). The HVAC control module determines the door position by counting pulses (voltage fluctuations) caused by the brush to commutator action generated during normal motor operation. The HVAC control module (IPM) monitors a voltage drop across an internal resistance to detect the pulses. The HVAC control module converts the pulses to counts with a range of 0 to 255 counts.

When a calibration or recalibration procedure is performed, the HVAC control module calculates the auxiliary air temperature door travel range. The HVAC control module commands the actuator to each extreme position and counts the total number of pulses. The HVAC control module compares the total number of pulses to calibrated limits. If the total pulse count is less than or equal to the maximum calibrated limit and greater than or equal to the minimum calibrated limit, then the calibration is considered successful.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The HVAC control module will run the DTC when either of the following conditions are met.

The HVAC control module has completed a calibration/recalibration of the auxiliary air temperature actuator.

The HVAC control module commands the actuator to move.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The HVAC control module will set this DTC if either of the following conditions are true.

The auxiliary air temperature actuator fails calibration/recalibration due to an over travel or under travel condition. (The HVAC control module does not detect the calibrated number of total pulse counts during a travel range check.)

The HVAC control module determines that the actual door position does not equal the commanded door position. (The HVAC control module commands the door to move but does not see the expected number of pulses between positions.)

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The HVAC control module will attempt to make use of whatever range is still available.

The HVAC control module will recalibrate the auxiliary air temperature actuator each time the ignition switch is turned ON.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The DTC will become history if the HVAC control module no longer detects a failure.

The history DTC will clear after 50 fault free ignition cycles.

The DTC can be cleared with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

If condition not present refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

Inspect the auxiliary air temperature door and the air temperature actuator assembly for the following conditions:

A misaligned air temperature actuator assembly. Refer to Air Temperature Actuator Assembly Replacement.

Broken or binding linkages or auxiliary air temperature door

An obstruction that prevents the auxiliary air temperature door from operating within it's full range of motion

Missing seals to the auxiliary air temperature door

Misaligned seals to the auxiliary air temperature door

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I would change the air filter element myself and let it go at that, unless you're near the life of the spark plugs or some other recommended maintenance.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If the coolant has never been changed, it is overdue. When in doubt, change it.

If it is over 100K and running rough, the plugs are due. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

B0429 is rather common. It is referring to the rear seat temp. Are you having any problem with the rear temps? The door does not have to be too far out of position to set the DTC. If you are not having any noticable problems or never use the rear seat, fagetaboutit.

Thanks for all the great info! I have not noticed any issues with the rear seat temp! My vehicle is approaching 94000 miles and Im not sure what the previous owner has done maintenance wise. So I just want to make sure I get everything done that is needed to sustain the life of my vehicle. Is there away I can check to see if my spark plugs need to be changed and coolant?

You could do a visual inspection of the plugs. If any of the platinum tips are missing, replace them.

No way to check the coolant that I am aware of. When in doubt, change it. It is too important to guess at.

Sounds like yours is the same age and milage as mine. I've had the B0429 code ever since I bought mine about 15 months ago. At first, I was going to take the dash apart and fix the rear seat air mix mechanism (it's located under the dash to the left of the glove compartment). After a while, I realized that it wasn't causing any problem except setting the code. I decided to let it go.

As others have said, I would change the oil, oil filter, coolant, and trans fluid (drain and refill but don't flush) and let 'er rip. I wouldn't worry about the plugs unless they're mis-firing or causing a rough idle (as far as I know, mine still has the original plugs in it and they're fine).

One possible source of trouble with these cars is the crankshaft position sensors. The sensors put in 2000 through about mid 2002 Northstars weren't very reliable. Cadillac has redesigned them twice and the new ones are supposed to be virtually trouble free. The sensors in your car may have already been replaced with the newer type. If so, you're home free. If not, it's best to change both the upper and lower sensor at the same time even if only one of them is setting a code. It's not an expensive repair (probably under $200 parts and labor for both). I wouldn't worry about them unless they start acting up.

I would also replace the cabin air filter. It's easy to do, it's located under a trap door, under the hood, just forward of the base of the windshield on the pasenger side. The filter is about $45 at auto parts stores ($65 at the dealer). This is an often overlooked service item and they get very dirty after a while. I noticed much better air flow after I changed mine.

Apart from the crank sensors, I've had no trouble with this car. I hadn't looked at the codes in nearly a year so I checked them a couple of days ago. The only one that came up was the B0429. Gotta love it!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is to look for small coolant leaks. These can be seen as small red stains near the radiator and heater hose clamps, and under the water pump. Also look at the radiator tanks with a flashlight. If you see a leak at a hose fitting, pull the hose off and clean the fitting and hose, and make sure the clamp is working properly.

And, don't forget the sealant pellets in the radiator hose. A dealer or good mechanic will do this as part of the process of changing your coolant.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is to look for small coolant leaks. These can be seen as small red stains near the radiator and heater hose clamps, and under the water pump. Also look at the radiator tanks with a flashlight. If you see a leak at a hose fitting, pull the hose off and clean the fitting and hose, and make sure the clamp is working properly.

And, don't forget the sealant pellets in the radiator hose. A dealer or good mechanic will do this as part of the process of changing your coolant.

keep an eye out for the dead animals laying around your car...possible coolant leak LOL...sadly and seriously I found my coolant leak when I saw 2 dead cats near my car (one cat was under the car and the other was about 20 feet down on the sidewalk)...I'm a big animal lover and have a soft spot for strays (it breaks my heart to see someone abuse an animal)...no hate e-mails!

If any services were done at dealer there will be a record they can provide.

the dealer keeps records? I didn't know that...how far back do they maintain records? Are the records tagged to the VIN? I've never owned a vehicle with a remaining manufactorer waranty, the warranties have not been transfferable. I avoid having a vehicle serviced by the dealer [unless I have to (almost had to though with oil pressure problem)]. Geez, I must be behind the times- I just found out the other day that car emmisions are tied to a carfax! LOL

General Motors dealers have a record of every service performed for a particular VIN, so long as it is a valid 13-digit VIN. I believe that most other manufactureres have a similar system. Usually they can bring it up on their computers while they are checking yoiu in, even for an oil change.

General Motors dealers have a record of every service performed for a particular VIN, so long as it is a valid 13-digit VIN. I believe that most other manufactureres have a similar system. Usually they can bring it up on their computers while they are checking yoiu in, even for an oil change.

this may be another stupid question but is that true of Canadian GM vehicles? My car was originally sent to Canada (my speedometer is default KPH and I have to choose MPH whenever battery is disconnected) and then made it in Feb 2006 to the U.S...do I still just give any Cadillac dealership service dept my VIN and they can pull up the service records? I'm curious as to if the dealership repaired the oil pan.

BTW my speedomter drives me nuts! It starts at 0 and goes to 240 (I think, maybe 260), when the MPH tab is chosen it's difficult to guage your speed because the numbers are so squashed together. This may be another thing on my to-do list down the road

If any services were done at dealer there will be a record they can provide.

I just called the Caddy dealer here in town because my DTS was a local trade, and I was planning on changing the crank sensors this winter not knowing if they had ever been replaced. The dealer took my vin and told me they have already been replaced! He also told me my DTS was a "certified Luxury Vehicle", and I was still under warranty! WOO HOO! I said cool, I'll be in so you can take a look at my B0429 code, and he says no problem. B) Why didn't I think of this before... thanks Eric!! :)

mynewcaddych2.jpg

Keep me updated on the B0429. I have it as well.

Will do. BTW, thanks Ranger, I have learned so much from you. I believe it was you who said GM had a bad supplier of crank sensors from 00-03 among other things I've learned here and there. I hope to get into the dealership this friday...

mynewcaddych2.jpg

Archived