CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission problems?????

Mel

I have a 91 Deville, and I think I may be having transmission problems. I can drive home from work with no problems. If I want to drive the car again later, it shakes when I put it in reverse and continues to shake when in drive. The car has 169K miles so I wouldn't be shocked if it were the transmission but I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

Get the OBD II device trouble codes (DTCs). Here's how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Don't even think about being female as an issue. I was raised in Texas and I do all right, so for sure you can too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When we get through with you, you'll be doing oil changes, coolant changes, cleaning EGR valves and much more. The good thing is, you won't even get any grease under your finger nails pulling the DTC's. We have to break you in slowly. ;)

BTW, I would suspect plugs, wires, cap & rotor before I would the trans. When was it last "tuned"?

Not to split hairs but this is an OBD I car (I think it is anyway, the Deville I think was different but I can't recall why). OBD II was mentioned above. By the way, I don't necessarily think your problem is transmission related. This could be caused by a bunch of things. The coolant temp sensor could cause it along with the PCM (powertrain control module) or FPR (fuel pressure regulator). As mentioned, the codes will help us help you, have a pencil and paper ready and write down the codes. Here is how to retrieve the DTC (Diagnotic Trouble Codes) codes. I am hoping that KHE see's this, I think that the Deville is different in this year in terms of how you retrieve the codes and the codes themselves are different than standard OBD 1 codes. I will direct him to his thread. My 1991 Diagnostic Handbook only covers the Seville and the Eldorado, so that leads me to believe that the Deville is different.

DTC display 1989-2000:

1. Turn the ignition switch ON. [bruce notes: interestingly, the engine can be on or off]

2. On the cars up to 1995, on the Climate Control panel, press the OFF and WARM buttons simultaneously.

On the 96/97, push the OFF button and the top (warmer) end of the PASS rocker switch.

For 99 Deville, Turn the ignition switch to ON. Simultaneously press the following buttons until all VF display segments (IPC and CCP) are illuminated:

The digital IPC, the climate control center (CCC) OFF and warmer (RED) buttons

The analog IPC, the climate control panel (CCP) OFF and PASS warmer (up arrow) buttons

On the 98-2000, there seems to be some discussion

post-2998-1191906018_thumb.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would not suspect the trans. at this point. See if there are any diagnostic codes stored as described above (turn the ignition to ON) and post them back. The codes will be displayed on either the fuel data panel or the climate control panel. When you see .7.0, the codes are done and the system is awaiting input. Either turn off the ignition or press AUTO to exit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a 91 Deville, and I think I may be having transmission problems. I can drive home from work with no problems. If I want to drive the car again later, it shakes when I put it in reverse and continues to shake when in drive. The car has 169K miles so I wouldn't be shocked if it were the transmission but I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

Does it shake only when you are holding the brake, like it wants to take off? I would check the battery connections first, make sure they are tight and corrosion free. Bad PCM(main computer) connection comes to mind along with a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR). Has it died on you for no reason or been hard to start? The codes come up in the fuel data center.

Archived