CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 deville base model

caddyon20s

hi some of u already know my steering column is broken from previous topics, im going to try to fix it by getting an used column from ebay for like 80 bucks with shipping but i dont understand about the active brake control?? how do i know if my current steering culumn has the active brake control or not or what does that mean?? the culumn comes with the key but am i still need to get another key made in order to start the car?? is that a dealer thing???how much? or can some shopps do it thank a lot for ur help.

hi some of u already know my steering column is broken from previous topics, im going to try to fix it by getting an used column from ebay for like 80 bucks with shipping but i dont understand about the active brake control?? how do i know if my current steering culumn has the active brake control or not or what does that mean?? the culumn comes with the key but am i still need to get another key made in order to start the car?? is that a dealer thing???how much? or can some shopps do it thank a lot for ur help.

Measure the resistance of the chips inside your both (old and new) keys. If you are not lucky and they do not coincide, you may integrate a resistor into the security circuit to match the data your computer is set up. You can buy a resistor from RadioShack for a couple of bucks. First get the data.

I do not have an idea about active brake control.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The removal instructions do not refer to the ABC or ABS systems.

99devillesteeringcolumn.pdf

While you have both steering columns out of the car, there is a way to remove the ignition tumbler from your old steering column and reuse it on the new steering column, which would avoid the whole key thing, if your current ignition switch/tumbler is still good.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I would get a FSM to do this job to make sure that the air bag is poperly disabled and reconnected.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived