CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trumpet Horns

Ranger

Cadillac used the "Trumpet Horn" for years and years. They Dropped it starting with the 2000 Devilles - probably as a cost cutting measure...

The earliest Trumpet Horns had two regular style horns and a third horn that looked like a miniature trumpet - hence the name Trumpet Horn. I think that was in the 1950s. By the 1960s, they were able to obtain the same sound with four regular style horns.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Believe it or not Jim, the DC8 lights were a perfect plug & play with the old sealed beam lights. They where however a 13v light and I would trip a circuit breaker after about 5 min. running on the highway. Fortunately I lived in Chicago at the time so I rarely used them other than as a weapon or a novilty, but they would light up a country highway like daytime for a good 2 miles.

Now that I know what I am looking for I'll get you the horns next week Ranger, they have about 20 Cadillac now, mostly Sevilles

Thanks Mike.

Larry,

Let me know how it works out for you, I wouldn't mind "upgrading" the horns on my DTS.

Will do John.

BTW Mike, when you are at the junk yard, seeing as you said they had 20 caddy's, keep an eye out for a 2000-2005 DTS. Never have located a center console yet.

Believe it or not Jim, the DC8 lights were a perfect plug & play with the old sealed beam lights. They where however a 13v light and I would trip a circuit breaker after about 5 min. running on the highway. Fortunately I lived in Chicago at the time so I rarely used them other than as a weapon or a novilty, but they would light up a country highway like daytime for a good 2 miles.

Now that I know what I am looking for I'll get you the horns next week Ranger, they have about 20 Cadillac now, mostly Sevilles

Thanks Mike.

Larry,

Let me know how it works out for you, I wouldn't mind "upgrading" the horns on my DTS.

Will do John.

BTW Mike, when you are at the junk yard, seeing as you said they had 20 caddy's, keep an eye out for a 2000-2005 DTS. Never have located a center console yet.

Will do, they have a 00 and 01, will see what they have.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 1 month later...

Finally got a pair (C & D notes). Saw a '97 Deville at a salvage yard on Ebay and called. I had to direct him to where they where, but I bought them and they should be shipped today or tomorrow. He wanted $60 incl. shipping. Probably paid too much, but I am tired of these anemic Honda sounding horns. Now I just have to figure out where to mount them and how to connect them. I think I should just be able to slave them off of the originals.

That's great Ranger, glad you finally got them. I will take them off my list now, :)

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Finally got a pair (C & D notes). Saw a '97 Deville at a salvage yard on Ebay and called. I had to direct him to where they where, but I bought them and they should be shipped today or tomorrow. He wanted $60 incl. shipping. Probably paid too much, but I am tired of these anemic Honda sounding horns. Now I just have to figure out where to mount them and how to connect them. I think I should just be able to slave them off of the originals.

Ranger,

What year and model do you have? I have a 2002 DeVille, and am interested (Obsessed) in adding to the horns. Do you think I also need the C and D notes? I know I only have 2 but am not sure what 2 I have. Cripes, I cannot even find the horns under that hood! And I do know how to read them if I could find them. I cant even find the battery!

My whole life I have looked forward to having a Cadillac, and the distinctive horn sound, and wouldnt you know it. I finally get one, and it has this generic horn! Terrible, Brutal!

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Chris,

Your battery is under the rear seat. Just lift up on the front edge and slide it out. Remember to unplug the seat heater (if so equipped) on the passenger side before sliding it out.

You have 2 horns, a high and low note. They are located in the left front engine compartment. I have not yet checked to see if they are accessible from underneath or perhaps by removing the air filter box. I'll wait till I am ready to install and locate a suitable location. You need the C & D note to complete the trumpets. On the '90's Devilles there are 3 on the right side and one on the left. The A & D notes are behind the right front impact bar. The C note is behind the battery. F note is behind the left front impact bar. Happy hunting.

Well, I got the horns today and wouldn't you know it, after giving him explicit directions on exactly wear they where and which ones I wanted, he sent a "D" & "F" horn. I called and he is going to send the "C" horn. He wants me to ship the "F" back at my expense. Still deciding on that. I got one mounted and wired today and I can hear a difference already.

Chris,

The horns are accessible from underneath. Drop the plastic air dam and you will see them tucked up in the left front next to the side marker light. Space is limited so you have to get creative on the mounting.

I finally got the "C" note today and installed it. The horn bay is pretty cramped as it was. With 4 horns in there it is really tight now and installing them on my back was no picnic, but she sounds like a locomotive. :yupi3ti:

I finally got the "C" note today and installed it. The horn bay is pretty cramped as it was. With 4 horns in there it is really tight now and installing them on my back was no picnic, but she sounds like a locomotive. :yupi3ti:

I'm flat-out jealous! I *NEED* horns like that! Especially since I only have two doors. :P

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Had them on my '83 Coupe D'Elegance. WOW!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I think what you are talking about is called "The Klaxon Horn Package" which has 4 horns and can be ordered in a set.

Forgive me please, but I can't for the life of me, even for a moment, imagine Cadillac having ever named a package as that!

As always, feel free to correct me.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 1 month later...

Ok, am confused here.

The consesus seems to be that the newer models need the "c" and "d" notes.

However under rockauto.com when I search under my model. (2002) DeVille, they show the 4 horns.

Two standard, one high, and one low note. #hn17 and hn18.

The other two listed are the "A" kit - comes with bracket and harness, and the "F" kit.

Part #D1925c and D1922C

So if I am looking at this I would think to buy the A and F notes. Not the C and D.

Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out;

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecat...c1379886k319742

Thanks all and happy new year!

Well, you could be correct. Since the 4 note trumpet horns where A, C, D & F and our cars have a "high" & "low" note, I am assuming that "high' & "low" are A & F. Thus C & D where the missing links. At least that was my logic.

The RockAuto link shows products from two suppliers: Standard Motor Products and ACDelco. The 'high' tone would be 'A'. The 'C' (higher frequency than the 'A') and 'D' (lower than the 'F') note horns were not standard or optional equipment from the factory for the 2002 DeVille, but may be found in various older GM models either as standard equipment (late '80s to '99?), or part of a "Trumpet Horn" or "Four Note Horn" option.

You are correct; I found a free site that puts an organ on your keyboard and was able to play the different notes.

I had to click on Saxaphone, to get the horn sound, then hit the chord button on the left. this lets you hear 2 or 4 notes at once. Now select the A and F note, hit play chord. Definately my 2002 horn. Then I added the c and d notes and hit play chord, and got the sound I was looking for, so yes everyone is right, 2000 and later need the c and d notes. Amazing what you can accomplish with 3 days off work and about 3 hours on the internet! Now I can put this mystery to rest.

Chris

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_...c/piano/sax.htm

Ranger, do you still have the F horn that the guy mistakenly sent you? And does it work?

I always thought the horns on my '01 STS were weak. Turns out, it was just one horn -- only the A is working. The F is dead. You thought A/F were bad as a pair -- how 'bout trying to awaken someone with just an A???!!! :)

Anyway, if you still have the F horn, or if ANYONE out there happens to have an F laying around...please let me know.

Thanks.

By the way, playing the website Chris linked above -- the 'A' was definitely all I have. And I REALLY want the trumpets now!! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

You are correct; I found a free site that puts an organ on your keyboard and was able to play the different notes.

I had to click on Saxaphone, to get the horn sound, then hit the chord button on the left. this lets you hear 2 or 4 notes at once. Now select the A and F note, hit play chord. Definately my 2002 horn. Then I added the c and d notes and hit play chord, and got the sound I was looking for, so yes everyone is right, 2000 and later need the c and d notes. Amazing what you can accomplish with 3 days off work and about 3 hours on the internet! Now I can put this mystery to rest.

Chris

<a href="http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_...c/piano/sax.htm" target="_blank">http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_...c/piano/sax.htm</a>

What an extraordinary utility! I don't know how folk find smurf-stuff like this. :D Or put it to such an imaginative use.

I had the Trumpet Horns on my '83 Coupe D'Elegance. How I'd like to have them again! I would kill (well, actually pay) to have them on the current steed.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I think I found mine on Ebay Warren. Or more precisely, I think I found a car at a junk yard through a google search and called him. Had to tell him exactly where the horns where located and exactly which ones I wanted. Installation was not hard, though it took some studying to figure out where and how to mount them in the tight horn bay. I think I even modified one of the mounting brackets a bit, just had to cut a corner off to allow mounting space. Not to mention splicing and soldering wires upside down, but all in all not a bad job and well worth the effort.

I think I found mine on Ebay Warren. Or more precisely, I think I found a car at a junk yard through a google search and called him. Had to tell him exactly where the horns where located and exactly which ones I wanted. Installation was not hard, though it took some studying to figure out where and how to mount them in the tight horn bay. I think I even modified one of the mounting brackets a bit, just had to cut a corner off to allow mounting space. Not to mention splicing and soldering wires upside down, but all in all not a bad job and well worth the effort.

Nice to hear. I'm jealous!

In my case, it would have to be done by someone else; I'm not up to it right now. I need a ready-to-go "package."

I have to either present a mechanical bracket/horn/wiring/part-number/in toto thing to my local mechanic or go to a custom shop to have it done.

OTOH, I hope to purchase a last-year Eldorado soon. In that case I'll leave it to BbF to worry about the smurf horns! :D

Regards,

Warren ;)

Posted Image

Archived