CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Buying a newer STS

Hello all happy Cadillac owners!

Have just sold my -88 Eldo with 150 000 miles on it.

Also sold my -93 STS with 138 000 miles on the counter.

Now I’m looking for a newer STS, that would be a -98 or newer.

What year do you think is a better choice? I.e. should I go for a -00 and newer since they refined the Northstar engine back then or perhaps -02 and newer because of the DVD-based GPS? Any ideas?

I really appreciate the depreciation rate of these cars...at least when I’m buying....

Is there any yeasr I should avoide? I've heard that the -98 had problems?

Please enlighten me :rolleyes:

I would definitely go for the 2000+ because of the improvements to the Northstar. Whether you go for the 2002+ because of the DVD based GPS is a personal choice. Personally I have little real use for it.

I would definitely go for the 2000+ because of the improvements to the Northstar. Whether you go for the 2002+ because of the DVD based GPS is a personal choice. Personally I have little real use for it.

Thanks Ranger!

What's the big difference between the GPS systems anyway? Is the old one going to be discontinued reguarding maps etc?

Do you know any other improvements between -00 to -03?

Thanks Bruce.

Seems like -02 and up has magnetic ride. Any glitches in the first year model? Anyone had any experience with it?

I don't know a thing about GPS. Magnaride should be much more reliable than the old active struts. They had valves that controlled the fluid flow. Magnaride has some sort of metalic substance in the fluid and simply controls the fluid viscosity by providing an electrical current to it, so there are no moving parts to fail.

I am not positive, but I don't think there were any engine changes from 2000 - 2003.

Thanks Bruce and Ranger.

Magnaride sounds sweet and I suppose the shocks are going to last longer just like you said Ranger.

GPS is not really a big deal for me, we don't have that many roads here in Sweden ;) but the price difference between a -01 and a -02 is quite small

and I would hate having a GPS that won't work in the future.

Both my Eldo and my STS convinced me about Cadillac reliability and performance so I’m not worried about an eventional head gasket replacement (I had to do a timesert repair on the STS because of a burned exhaust valve).

On the time I had these cars, 5 years and 48000 miles on the Eldo (150 400 miles on the counter) and 4 years and 50000 on the STS (138 000 miles on the counter) everything worked just fine except from small problems like an electrical window intermittentially working (easy fix), rattling EGR valve (replaced), shift solenoid replacement and a new alternator, and other normal wear and tear parts replacement.

Right now I don’t have a car at all and that is the longest time without a car for me since 1992.....we just have wife’s Jeep to rely on and it just don't feel to good..

Just to throw this in the mix,

I stopped by the dealership to pick my 25 year caddy mechanic's brain on my trunk release problem. After explaining the symptoms, he open up the trunk of the car he was working on and showed me the solenoid on the trunk hood. Said that was probably the problem. Got the part number from the parts department($68) and proceeded to order from GMPartsdirect($37) Installed and that was that.

Now for my input. I told him that I was thinking of upgrading. Mentioned 2000. He said that was when they changed the engine to run on regular.(piston change/ power reduction) Still plenty but different.

Also mentioned that oil leakage (not usage) was more prevalent in the 2000 up motors. Just relaying what he said, no specifics. I also told him about my premium/regular testing and he said (which I can verify) that with the less octane, comes less power and less mpg. Also said that the top of the pistons, which are really racing pistons, get coated/glazed? when using low octane. (talking about pre 2000 N* on octane rating)

Kent

Jan,

Magnaride is the way to go..

not really available until 2003...

Consumer Reports reported the 2003 was the best

year for rate of repair, etc.

I amin search of only a 2003 right now.

good luck

jim

MagneRide was designed to last for the life of the car. It was first available late 2002.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Another topic with a heart... Guys, is this a dating site or something? :lol:

:lol: I would have scanned past that but your comment is funny.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

MagneRide was designed to last for the life of the car. It was first available late 2002.

To my knowldge, there are none or so few 2002's w/MagnaRide, might as well go for a

2003, since the rate of repair is so low.

thanks

jim

About 1/3 of the 2002s came with the magnaride they are not that hard to find.. A 2002 with F55 (RPO for magnaride) and a 2003 are the same car... GM made no changes to the car that year... Keep in mind that all F55 cars came with "H" rated michelines and therefor ALL F55 cars are speed limited to 130 MPH... F45 Cars with the "W" rated Goodyear's can go 155.

I have a W rated 2002 F45 car... If I were to do it all again I would go for a F55 car.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

About 1/3 of the 2002s came with the magnaride they are not that hard to find.. A 2002 with F55 (RPO for magnaride) and a 2003 are the same car... GM made no changes to the car that year... Keep in mind that all F55 cars came with "H" rated michelines and therefor ALL F55 cars are speed limited to 130 MPH... F45 Cars with the "W" rated Goodyear's can go 155.

I have a W rated 2002 F45 car... If I were to do it all again I would go for a F55 car.

Now you've got me confused. So, you don't like Magnaride? What, ride's too harsh? The Magnaride cars were speed limited to less than the "mechanical shock" F45(?) cars? I'd think it would be the other way around.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

NO, I've driven a F55 magna ride car and I loved it... ride was amazing... and smooth.. None of the Badyear 65 MPH vibrations... The speed limiter is a small price to pay IMO...

My car has the old school (LOL) CVRSS (AKA F45) its ok.. but I like the F55 way better!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Yes, I agree 100%. MagneRide ROCKS!

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Another topic with a heart... Guys, is this a dating site or something?

Perhaps I'm in love with the STS? :P

First of all, thanks for all great info!

I'm going to check out a -02 this Sunday. It's a late year model.

Is the options codes still located on a sticker in the trunk? (i.e. F55 versus F45)

Hmm, I really want 155 mph...I mean 300hp and being passed by my fathers old Volvo…really.

I’m kind of missing my -93..shifted to fourth at 130 mph still accelerating :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, top speed is all but everything to me but this is a great car, handles great, plenty of power for the a-bahn and for my lead foot.

Would like the speed to be unlimited as on my -93..

Cool information,i have the f 55 magnaride with W sticker on the door. 17'' goodyears. Definately not a plush ride.If i do a series of ''S'' turns there is almost no body roll , pretty impresive , almost like a WS6 trans am.

I've found a -02 with the W-rated tires doorsticker. It has the F45 struts but I can cope with that since they should work better than the ones on my -93 STS, right?

Perhaps even better since they not worked due to flooding... ;)

Car looks beautiful at the pictures I recieved but then again all cars do..

Going to see it this weekend, 50000 miles, loaded with everything except sun-roof. Perhaps I manage to cut the price a bit too, you know "Hey this is the OLD suspension...WHAT no sunroof?"

Black with the oatmeal interiror...I'm alreade drooling

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!! I’ve found a great STS. It’s a -02 with the magnaride suspension, the new navi and a W sticker. Bought it today, going to bring it home next Friday/Saturday, 20500 miles on it. Pulled the codes and found out that (probably) the battery has been disconnected thus causing a bunch of codes to come up (checked them myself and all of them was about communications between different subsystems and battery voltage being to low etc....so I’m not worried), have 3 months of dealer warranty too so I guess I'll have to drive around and see what might come up ;)

I cleared the codes and took it for a ride....I just have to say that magnaride is extraordinary...can’t believe the stiffness and smoothness on bumpy roads and tight corners.

Sorry no pictures yet....but it has the blue onyx colour and the oatmeal interior. Only thing is a dent on the left hand portion of the body just to the left of the trunk.

The greatest difference compared to my -93 is that when I floor it, it immediately shifts to 3: rd and then the transmission seems to wait for a sec before shifting to 2: nd.

How do I make it shift to 2: nd immediately like my -93 did? Has it to do with the PAS-feature and if so, what does it take to activate it?

Other differences compared to -93 STS: found the seats harder but really comfy, better ride, harder but smother suspension, so silent..., seems smaller, looks smaller, more things to play around with while you're bored driving the daily commuter route (just kidding)

I'll sure miss the great oomph in my -93, traction control kicking in after a bit of tire-squealing and that nice 2:nd shift chirp

Wish me luck with this one!

Archived