CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Tapping Stopped!

Marika

As Scotty knows, my 4.9 litre engine had a mild tap. This morning, it was gone.

Now I'll probably go start the car at 5 pm today and it will be back only because I mentioned it on this forum. :blink::lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If you lived my life it would just be a sign that something bigger is about to happen... :lol:

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

When I heard the tap, it was obvious that it was valve train related. You might have had a collapsed lifter that was either stuck or clogged. The reason I wanted you to take a long high speed ride to the Delaware Water Gap was to get the car hot and the oil pressure high. If you had a bent push rod, loose rocker arm or wiped cam lobe, it would not have gone away. It may have cured itself.... Take the ride to the Gap anyway! Glad it is better...it was bothering me... :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When I heard the tap, it was obvious that it was valve train related. You might have had a collapsed lifter that was either stuck or clogged. The reason I wanted you to take a long high speed ride to the Delaware Water Gap was to get the car hot and the oil pressure high. If you had a bent push rod, loose rocker arm or wiped cam lobe, it would not have gone away. It may have cured itself.... Take the ride to the Gap anyway! Glad it is better...it was bothering me... :lol:

I'm changing the oil on Saturday, will be putting in 20-50 synthetic and some MMO for added cleaning. I'm just glad it's apparently cleared up. Engine seems to run smoother now too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays cleared up :lol::blink:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm changing the oil on Saturday, will be putting in 20-50 synthetic and some MMO for added cleaning. I'm just glad it's apparently cleared up. Engine seems to run smoother now too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays cleared up :lol::blink:

I have always been partial to ATF for the last day or two before an oil change, aboot a 1/2 quart. I've been doing it since around 1985 w/ no issues.

And I would think that 20/50 is a lil heavy for the 4.9, try 15/40 instead.

I have always been partial to ATF for the last day or two before an oil change, aboot a 1/2 quart. I've been doing it since around 1985 w/ no issues.

And I would think that 20/50 is a lil heavy for the 4.9, try 15/40 instead.

Really?? ATF?? how does it work inside the engine? It's properties etc.

Many many moons ago an old mechanic told me that trick and I used to put 1 qt of trans fluid in the crank case with each oil change. Haven't done it in years though. It is basically a very high detergent oil. With todays oils I don't think it is needed as much.

Please do not use 20W-50 oil in your 4.9 engine - it is way too heavy for that engine... If you have the #1 bearing knock, use 15W-40 diesel oil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had the oil changed, synthetic 10/30 and the tapping stopped. But this morning, I heard it again slightly and then after a while it stopped. Either a lifter that's "iffy" or perhaps a sign that the oil pump is starting to fail?

I realize this problem is NOT going away. The car will eventually need work.

I had the oil changed, synthetic 10/30 and the tapping stopped. But this morning, I heard it again slightly and then after a while it stopped. Either a lifter that's "iffy" or perhaps a sign that the oil pump is starting to fail?

I never had good results with synthetic, the engine sounded bad. You would be better with 15W40 IMHO

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I never had good results with synthetic, the engine sounded bad. You would be better with 15W40 IMHO

I've nothing but great results from synthetic. Used it in my old '66 Chevelle Malibu and that engine was still going strong at nearly 300,000 miles. I've used synthetic in all my engines.

In fact this valve started tapping after the oil was changed at the Caddy stealership, they used regular oil, not synthetic. With regular oil my engine seems to run rough and my gas mileage drops. Switching back to synthetic I find the engine runs freer, seems to not be dragging as much and my gas mileage is climbing. I guess every driver has a different experience.

The only really bad lifter experience I ever had was many years ago with a Ford, and I was mistakenly using 20W-50 in it because I thought it was tougher oil. Wrong. After wringing it out really hard one day getting onto a high speed freeway in heavy traffic, a lifter gradually collapsed completely over about 15 minutes. All day at work I was thinking internal engine job. When I started it up after work, it was fine. I started putting 10W-30 in it like the owner's manual said and never had another problem.

I think the dealer may have put bulk 30W-30 in it. A lot of big service outfits including some dealers do this for the cost advantages and because most makes allow it in the summertime -- for emergencies, I might add. This is most likely to be done in cases where you have "free" oil changes on some deal or service plan. On an older car I would use a reliable service station for things like oil changes and keep the dealer in reserve for more appropriate work, such as air conditioning work, OBD II diagnosis, ABS and RSS system servicing, etc. where the Goodwrench training, equipment and warranty are really needed and worth the price.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The Guru recommended Rotell 15W40 for the 4.9 when it knocked. The tolerances in the 4.9 are not such that the 15W40 is a problem and the additional ZDDP in the Rotell is good for the 4.9's lifters and distributor bearing. But what does the Guru know..... :blink:

Have you unloaded the serpentine belt tensioner when the tapping is occuring? If the tapping stops when you unload the tensioner, it is the #1 main bearing knock. Other than a nuisance, nothing bad will ever happen. Change to one of the Rotella/Delo/Delvac 15W40 oils and the problem should go away.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Have you unloaded the serpentine belt tensioner when the tapping is occuring? If the tapping stops when you unload the tensioner, it is the #1 main bearing knock. Other than a nuisance, nothing bad will ever happen. Change to one of the Rotella/Delo/Delvac 15W40 oils and the problem should go away.

Kevin, I heard Marika's tick and its valve train related, its not a #1 knock like I had with my 4.9. I had used Mobil 1 in my 4.9 and it knocked like hell and used two quarts of oil on a 500 mile trip.... and never used oil before that or after I changed it. My experience with Mobil 1 in 100 degree heat in my 91 4.9 with 95K miles on it was not good.

Archived